Gem Microscope Question

Old November 15th 03, 09:09 PM
cheyenne weil

Default Gem Microscope Question

Hi,

I want to purchase gem identification equipment and would like to ask
for some opinions.

I notice that gem microscope prices vary considerably from ~$250
(ebay) upwards beyond $3000. I don't need a lot of the bells and
whistles that the high-end scopes normally come with (gem clamps,
tilting bases, titanium carry cases, etc.) but I also don't want crap
optics. Ebay sort of freaks me out anyway and the ultra-cheap models
seem suspicious. Basically I want to buy a scope that is decent, but I
don't have too much money I can spend. I would like to stay under $600
if possible.

What price range should I stay in? Also, here are a few of the brands
and models I have been eyeing:
* Kruss $475 (I like the way this one looks)
http://www.kassoy.com/kruss/kruss02.html
* Accu-Scope 10x/30x (Model 3069GEM) $495; They also have a zoom scope
for $640 http://www.kassoy.com/scopes02.html
* OptiScope Incandescent Microscope
http://shorinternational.com/microsco.htm ($545)
* The ebay model is the Gemoro Elite 1030 which I see for ~$285; the
Gemoro 745, however, is significantly more ($880ish; zooms 7x-45x)
* There is a basic GM Microscope - Meiji GS-2200 for $650

Does anyone have any experience with the above brands or models? I am
only vaguely familiar with the Meiji (but not the scope above) and I
sort of have to order one without being able to test it first. I lost
all my earlier bookmarks and *thought* there was a very base model
Leica in the $600 range.. maybe I was dreaming that one? I haven't
seen much for sale used..

Another question: I also need a refractometer. They are generally
$400-$550ish but there is a slew of them in the $150 price range
(again ebay, among others; Chinese I think they are). Why? Do
hemicylinders come in such varying qualities? Are the cheapies prone
to scratching much easier or do they actually not read as accurately?

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
cheyenne
Old November 16th 03, 06:57 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

In addition to the fine info you will receive here, do checkout the
www.yourgemologist.com site and especially the forum as well as the
www.gemsociety.org site.

The one scope I bought from eBay I sent back because the 'detent'
holding the objectives when switching between powers wasn't reliably in
registration. As you say - cheap gear. Maybe good enough for some
hobbiests but not pleasant for serious work. Sigh - a scope is what I
wish for too. Try to get about 40x-45x for your high setting, 10x-20x
for low. Zooms are convenient but maybe not worth the xtra $. There is
also a site that carries used/refurbs and has reviews of scopes. There
are some models which are surprisingly bad considering the name on them.
Also, most Russian scopes may start out OK but any damage/misalignment
is likely not repairable due to weird construction style!

good luck

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM