Ultrasonic plating?

Old November 5th 03, 03:16 AM
HoyoD

Default Ultrasonic plating?

Over the years I have noticed that sometimes when jewelry is in the
ultrasonic it comes out discolored. Today I had some gold rings come out
looking like old brass, a chain came out purple, and a silver bracelet had a
peacock effect. Rather pretty, actually, but it would horrify any customer.
The discoloration comes off with a simple rouge polishing so it isn't a big
deal but it is curious. Clearly the silver has something to do with it but
it doesn't always happen every time I have silver and gold in the same
sonic.
Any of you metallurgists out there have a clue about how I can prevent this
and an explanation for why it happens?
Thanks in advance.

chris

Old November 5th 03, 06:11 AM
Abrasha

HoyoD wrote:

Over the years I have noticed that sometimes when jewelry is in the
ultrasonic it comes out discolored. Today I had some gold rings come out
looking like old brass, a chain came out purple, and a silver bracelet had a
peacock effect. Rather pretty, actually, but it would horrify any customer.
The discoloration comes off with a simple rouge polishing so it isn't a big
deal but it is curious. Clearly the silver has something to do with it but
it doesn't always happen every time I have silver and gold in the same
sonic.
Any of you metallurgists out there have a clue about how I can prevent this
and an explanation for why it happens?
Thanks in advance.

chris

I do.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old November 10th 03, 03:20 PM
sbright

Sounds like you might have contaminated your ultrasonic with Liver of
Sulphur maybe?

-Stanley

Old November 11th 03, 12:45 AM
HoyoD

hmmmmm.....nope, never use the stuff. I do use plastic coated paperclips to
hang stuff with though and I sometimes wonder if the metal on a worn one
might be involved here. I'm betting on that right now.

chris

"HoyoD" wrote in message
[...]

Diagrams for making a ultrasonic lapping machine needed Yoshiyuki Mochizuki Carving 2 July 22nd 04 05:16 AM
Question about stacking (plating) SG C Ryman Glass 4 March 28th 04 06:11 PM
Partial Plating Don Wagner Jewelry 3 November 6th 03 04:29 AM
Plating over real leaves Peggy Jewelry 0 August 21st 03 07:09 AM
Good Ultrasonic Cleaner ??? Jay Canale Jewelry 4 July 13th 03 06:06 PM