large tiles cracking

Old September 21st 03, 09:25 PM
Monika Schleidt

Default large tiles cracking

I have this very smooth, slick clay, which feels very much like
porcellain, but is tan colored and sinters at 1100C. It works very well
on the wheel, to handbuild, but, if you make any large, flat pieces,
like large tiles or so, it tends to crack right down the middle. I don't
normally make large flat pieces, but some people in my weekend workshops
did. Is there any way i can prevent this? i was thinking about spreading
kaolin on the kilnshelves to prevent the pieces from sticking, make them
slide easier as they shrink. Or do you have any other advice?

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old September 21st 03, 10:27 PM
annemarie

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message
I have this very smooth, slick clay, which feels very much like
porcellain, but is tan colored and sinters at 1100C. It works very well
on the wheel, to handbuild, but, if you make any large, flat pieces,
like large tiles or so, it tends to crack right down the middle. I don't
normally make large flat pieces, but some people in my weekend workshops
did. Is there any way i can prevent this? i was thinking about spreading
kaolin on the kilnshelves to prevent the pieces from sticking, make them
slide easier as they shrink. Or do you have any other advice?

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

You could spread grog. or better calcined alumina on the shelves. Calcined
alumina is like tiny ball bearings that would move well with the shrinkage
etc.
Another alternative would be to try using grog in the clay, or even perhaps
paper, make it into paper clay.
Good luck.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:53 PM
Clayslinger

I use silica sand on my shelves when firing large flat platters. I am able
to dust it off when done and re-use it.

Old September 23rd 03, 01:47 PM
E.R.Somdahl

Besides coating the selves, another thing you might try is putting paper
(newspaper or paper towels) under the tiles or wrapping the tiles in
paper. This will let the tiles dry slower and more evenly because
moisture is wicked from the middle as well as the edges. Wrapping also
distributes the drying around the piece again by wicking. Large areas of
shelving used in classes and workshop situations will often have an
airflow across then causing uneven drying from one side to the other.