sorting through Quilting books and magazines

Old November 9th 03, 06:29 PM
juliasb(nospam)

Default sorting through Quilting books and magazines

I have had to take a break from stitching so I can begin other
projects for the holidays. Now mind you my quilting will not cease by
any means during this time. I needed to clean my studio though so I can
get around here and begin on designing my holiday greeting cards and
complete a few other projects.
One of the projects that was at the top of my list was to go through
all my quilting books and magazines. First I couldn't believe I had
collected so many over the last 14 years. I put all the books in order
by hard cover or soft cover and the magazines by title and date. It
took almost a full day to do that part. I just had to look at them as I
was rearranging them. Of course I found a number of quilts that I had
planned on doing and just haven't gotten to them. So I made a list that
has the book/magazine and the page numbers so I can maybe do a few
over then next year. We'll see just how far I get on that project. .
I discovered a while back ago that I never seem to have enough
quilting books. There are always techniques and designs that I draw
from when starting a new quilt.
Magazines however I discovered often repeat themselves over the
years. The same patterns with maybe just a color difference from an
earlier edition. Always beautiful of course. I have become more
selective about the magazines I get because of this.
I am just wondering how many of you decide on books or magazines that
you purchase. I for one love to have my own. The library is nice for
some things but I find I would rather be able to have things at a
finger's grasp.
How do you store your books and magazines. Now I can't imagine
throwing away a magazine so I don't even think that would be a question
unless you somehow ended up with a second copy of a given magazine. Now
I have done that but then given the magazine or book to another quilter.
Does anyone keep a list of what they have on hand or do you know by
recollection?
And last but not least how many quilts do you really complete or even
start from the various books or magazines that you have.
juliasb
--

Conductor of the Squish-mobile

....come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

http://globnet.com/~flair/

Old November 9th 03, 09:13 PM
Neeej

How do you store your books and magazines. Now I can't imagine
throwing away a magazine so I don't even think that would be a question

Actually, I cut out what interests me from mags, file in folders (sorta G),
and pitch the rest.

Does anyone keep a list of what they have on hand or do you know by
recollection?

Yah---my 80+ books (hey, I only started this year hehehe) are listed in the
puter. They're given a code # by author, and shelved by code. I keep telling
self I should do the same with all the mag-stuff in folders, but self refuses
to listen.

And last but not least how many quilts do you really complete or even
start from the various books or magazines that you have.

We-e-e-e-e-ll......actually none, so far, but ya just never know. I have
incorporated some of the ideas into quilts.
-- Jean S
Old November 9th 03, 10:06 PM
Sherry Starr

I don't keep many entire magazines. I take out the pattern or article that
I want to keep, put it in a plastic sheet protector, and put it in a 3 ring
binder. The binders I use are covered in a clear plastic with an opening at
the top to insert something on the front of the binder. I keep a list on
the cover with everything that is in that binder. I have a separate binder
for patterns that I purchase. I do them the same way. I keep the lists on
my computer, and just update it whenever I add to it. It has really saved
me a lot of time.
Sherry Starr

Old November 9th 03, 11:55 PM
juliasb(nospam)

I believe you are much more organized than me . It never occurred
to me to cut out just the stuff of interest and put it in an organized
folder of sorts.
As I think about cataloging things I get overwhelmed somewhat. Could
it be that I have to many books and magazines???? (is that possible?)

I do a lot of idea searches from my magazines and books... though
truthfully I have only made a few that actually resemble a quilt I saw
in a magazine. Those have been appliqué patterns that I liked.
Admittedly my quilts did not look anything like the ones on the cover .
juliasb

Old November 9th 03, 11:58 PM
juliasb(nospam)

Looks like I will have to start considering this option. Would save a
lot of valuable space. Give me more stash space. That is always important.
juliasb

Old November 10th 03, 12:53 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

But, but, but - how do you not know that sometime down the road you'll
become interested in something else that was in that magazine and now it's
tossed. I just can't rip up magazines. Lots of times something I'm not
interested in at the time I get it will grab my interest later on.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Old November 10th 03, 01:15 AM
juliasb(nospam)

Though considering what is said about just saving what you are
interested in is just why I haven't been able to cut anything out. I am
so afraid that I might want something down the line. I may not be queen
of packrats but I just can't throw much of anything away.
Years ago I believed if I hadn't used it in a year it would hit the
trash... not anymore! When I moved here the hardest thing to give away
and leave behind was many many of my books. Of course I chose to keep
my quilting books and magazines but so many others had to find new homes.
When I was straightening out the books and magazines the other day I
found my most treasured crafting project patterns that I had put in
binders. I had to put them else where. However they are never far away.
As horrible as it may sound, I now have to store books on a bookshelf
in the bathroom. I am just out of space and no where else to put
another bookshelf. Though cutting up my magazines is something I must
consider it will be a hard choice to make.
juliasb

Old November 10th 03, 01:30 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Regarding that idea of cutting out what interests you and tossing the
rest of the magazine.... I did that many years back. Then, when I went
thru what I had saved, I was left sitting there pondering *why* had I
saved these photos and directions??? By that time, they weren't colors
that appealed to me and the quilts were styles that didn't appeal to me,
either. Then I started worrying what I might have thrown away! bg I
now save the entire magazine, storage problems or not, because I realize
how my tastes and abilities change, sometimes drastically, as do the
quilts I will need to make- for gifts, babies, donations, etc.

Just a thought.... ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old November 10th 03, 02:23 AM
hfw

Same here. But I'd love to figure out a system for keeping track of what's
in what. Especially with Quilters Newsletter Magazine where the covers are
often so similar. I think someone's mentioned copying the Contents pages.
That might be a start.

--Heidi

Old November 10th 03, 02:46 AM
Julia Altshuler

I subscribe to Quilters Newsletter Magazine, American Quilter (AQS),
Quilting Arts and Craft Report. I buy a magazine at the bookstore now
and then when something interests me particularly, but for the most
part, I don't get magazines for the patterns and directions since I can
draft them myself (and draft them myself anyway even when I have the
directions). They're stacked neatly by title and date on the floor
under the bookshelf where they're moderately easy to get to. When a new
one comes, I read it right away, then put it in a milk crate. When the
milk crate gets full, I take out all the magazines and file them under
the bookshelf. (And drop off at the library the non-quilting related
ones like Discover Magazine, The Atlantic, and The New Yorker.)

I'm not satisfied with this system. It is great when someone says to
look at the picture in a particular magazine because that's the quilt
she's making. I love that. But when I'm stuck for an idea, the lack of
a useful catalog is driving me nuts.

Right now is the perfect example. I've been making 12" blocks in an
unusual color scheme (brick, turquoise, yellow, grey). Each block is a
little different and more complicated than I usually make. I think they
look very cool together in a non-traditional way. I want to give them a
setting that sets them off well. I'm happy with my color choices of
fabrics that will pull all the blocks together but want more pictures of
examples of settings. On point is good, but on point with sashing
would be better, and if the sashing had pieced stars in it, that might
be best, but what about flying geese around each block? I've been
paging through Sharyn Craig's _Setting Solutions_ which is a wonderful
resource, but I want more. I just know there are quilts in those
magazines that have the idea I want in them, but I don't want to page
through 10 years' worth to find them, and while I know I could look up a
quilt by the maker's name, I can't very well look something up under
"settings, cool ideas."

Similarly, sometimes I want to look at quilts with a particular color
scheme. I'm intrigued at the moment with monochromatic or all neutral
quilts. I've seen some in tans, greys and blacks that stood out as
unusual and pretty, but I can't look up "color scheme, tan and black."

The librarian in me is thinking about a catalog. I'd come up with
subject headings for the way *I* want to look up subjects. That would
be color schemes, settings, subjects like blocks that look like chickens
or techniques that use fusibles. It would be a huge undertaking, and
I'm sure it wouldn't sell for a price that recoup the time I put into
it, but I still love the idea.

Folks, if you could buy a CD-ROM that cataloged your quilting magazines,
how would you want to look up subjects?

--Lia