Tumbler Quilt

Old December 7th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Tumbler Quilt

Finished my Flutterby quilt and now onto the Tumbler. I did one of these quilts many years ago, so it is an old quilt/pattern. I needed something to use up left over pieces of this and that, along with material in layer cakes and charm packs I didn't like, so this quilt is everything including the kitchen sink so to speak. I really don't like sewing all these at an angle. Some of the charm packs were long/wider than their supposed 5 inches. I have a acrylic tumbler pattern that just fits a 5 inch charm pack with very little throw away.
You still have to trim top/bottom after these are sewn together. My quilt will be approx. 91 inch long and as wide as I want, using the material I have. There will be no border, just the binding. Yea, yea.
Sandy$
Old December 7th 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

wrote in message

Finished my Flutterby quilt and now onto the Tumbler. I did one of
these quilts many years ago, so it is an old quilt/pattern. I needed
something to use up left over pieces of this and that, along with material
in layer cakes and charm packs I didn't like, so this quilt is everything
including the kitchen sink so to speak. I really don't like sewing all these
at an angle. Some of the charm packs were long/wider than their supposed 5
inches. I have a acrylic tumbler pattern that just fits a 5 inch charm pack
with very little throw away.
You still have to trim top/bottom after these are sewn together. My quilt
will be approx. 91 inch long and as wide as I want, using the material I
have. There will be no border, just the binding. Yea, yea.
Sandy$

Sounds like this charm Tumbler quilt will be great with all the different
colors, like an old fashioned scrap quilt, like my grandmother used to make.
I have 2 of these that I helped with and learned to quilt on when I wasn't
even 12 years old. So this means they are about 58 years old!
Barbara in FL

Old December 9th 15, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Barbara in Fl,
Awesome that you still have a 58 year old quilt. I know you treasure it.. Yes, mine is really colorful. I had brought charm and layer cake bundles. The charms were ready to use so just had to cut the layer cakes into 4th's then use my acrylic tumbler pattern to cut them. I love scrappy quilts because they are so colorful. I use to watch my grandmother repair quilts and comforters. Back then they didn't have charms or layer cakes but used the family's old cloths and would cut out the still good parts. Wish I could turn the clock back to those times again. Really miss my grandma. I never learned to quilt until I was in my 30's.
Sandy$
Old December 9th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

wrote in message

Hello Barbara in Fl,
Awesome that you still have a 58 year old quilt. I know you treasure it.
Yes, mine is really colorful. I had brought charm and layer cake bundles.
The charms were ready to use so just had to cut the layer cakes into 4th's
then use my acrylic tumbler pattern to cut them. I love scrappy quilts
because they are so colorful. I use to watch my grandmother repair quilts
and comforters. Back then they didn't have charms or layer cakes but used
the family's old cloths and would cut out the still good parts. Wish I could
turn the clock back to those times again. Really miss my grandma. I never
learned to quilt until I was in my 30's.
Sandy$

Sandy I was so very fortunate to have known BOTH sets of Grandparents and I
learned so much from them! And even when I was growing up I
knew how lucky I was! I knew all their brothers & sisters and all their
family. Their were a LOT of family groups to visit
for Christmas and I loved it all!
Barbara

Old December 10th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Barbara,
You were so lucky to have all those relatives. Think family is important in our lives and you don't realize it until they are gone. I felt especially close to my grandma(mothers side) and my grandpa whom always told us kids stories of things that happened in his life.
Sandy$