Ir filtration system - any recommendations?

Old June 21st 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Ir filtration system - any recommendations?

On Jun 20, 5:56 pm, wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:20 am, Joe wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:06:04 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

On Jun 18, 11:04 am, Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, ALl, I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with air-
filtration/fume hood type systems suitble for a very small in-home
glassworking bench. Best would be somehting that coudl be lifted
onto
the
working surface during soldering/grinding (tho' I intend to do most
of my grinding outside, as I have a covered porch), then lifted off
and moved when I'm either scoring glass, or using the table for some
other purpose.

TIA!

- Kris

Hakko makes a good fume trap and if you have a way to vent the air
outside you could juririg a stove top exhaust. It's the fumes from the
flux that you need to vent away not from grinding unless you are
grinding dry.

Thanks, I'm looking up their info

((I'm trying to decide whether I should go for a fume hood or fume
collector, or whether I could get away with turning my Miele on and wiring
the nozzle to the desk (it has a HEPA filter and I can get either super-
filter bags, or HEPA bags for "double filtering"), or whether I should get
a window fan (pointed outdoors) and rig up a duct. Or maybe just get a
small folding table and chair and do it outside before the day heats up too
much ))

- Kris

One thing to consider is that HEPA stands for (more or less) "High
Efficiency Particulate Air" filter. The key word here is
"particulate". Although they are very good at trapping very tiny
particles, there is a lot of non-particulate stuff (fumes) that are
released during soldering. HEPA won't do squat about those.

Like Chemo noted, you need a fume trap (does Hakko make one big enough
for sg work? I only know of their electronics stations). A homemade
fume hood using a stove hood and venting *outside* would be much
better than any filtration system. Just extend the sides of the hood
down further towards your bench.

Of course, there are advantages for good air filtering as well, but
ridding a shop of fumes ain't one of them.

Joe

HEPA filters are great for filtering out dust and such but are pretty
much useless for removing aerosolled flux fumes. This can be easily
demonstrated by placing a piece of cloth or paper towel over the
exhaust - which will expediently dampen from the condensed flux.

Use filters to remove dust. Exhaust to outside to remove noxious
fumes.

Below is a link to the Hakko fume extractor. It explains the filters
used. These are the same type of filters that are used in the
Honeywell 17250 HEPA air cleaner that I liked to in my earlier post.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
Old June 21st 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Description

Fume and Smoke Extraction System

The HJ3100 fume extraction unit is designed expressly for use at
soldering stations, extracting the contaminated air directly at the
source.

The HJ3100 is a high-mass flow, low vacuum system. Contaminated air is
captured from the workplace surrounding the soldering station by the
hood or hoods, and transferred to the HJ3100 unit by flexible or rigid
ducts.

Inside the unit, two filters, comprising three stages of filtering,
remove the contaminants from the air. The purified air is then
returned to the area where the HJ3100 is located.

The pre-filter is made of a treated polyester material that removes
coarse particles, such as dust, thus extending the life of the main
HEPA filter. The HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter
consists of a pleated fiberglass paper medium, providing the greatest
amount of surface area within the volume of the filter case.

The standard filters used in the HAKKO HJ3000-series fume extractors
contain an activated carbon element built into the filter. This filter
is designed to last the life of the main HEPA filter. Carbon filters
have absorption ratings of 80-85%.

Efficiencies of the various HEPA/carbon filters for the HJ3100 are
greater than 98% at 0.3 microns. All tests per the DOP test as
stipulated in MIL-Std-282.

A wide range of accessories are available.

Filtering Stages

Click image to enlarge

The Hakko filtering process supports three stages of filtering.

The pre-filter removes course particles, such as dust, which may be
suspended in the air. This extends the service life of the HEPA
filter.

The main HEPA/Carbon filter, then purifies the air in two ways. As the
HEPA filter removes particles as small as 0.3 micron, the carbon
filter absorbs gases and odors from the filtered air.

Another larger carbon filter then absorbs more gases and odors from
the air.

Old June 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
howard

Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, ALl, I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with air-
filtration/fume hood type systems suitble for a very small in-home
glassworking bench. Best would be somehting that coudl be lifted onto the
working surface during soldering/grinding (tho' I intend to do most of my
grinding outside, as I have a covered porch), then lifted off and moved
when I'm wither scoring glass, or using the table for some other purpose.

TIA!

- Kris

================================
squirrel cage motor
4" flexible dryer hose attached to the motor
wood or styrofoam with 4" hole for the dryer hose
place in window and close window until it abuts the above
vent 4" dryer hose to the outside

cheap, easy and effctive

Old June 25th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

wrote in
:

On Jun 18, 4:06 pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote

om:

[...]

In calculating fan capacity for fume exhaust there are type A and type
B exhaust requirements. Flux fumes are noxious and rated as type A.
That means your fan capacity should be 125 times the face surface area
of your hood. If you have a 24" x 30" hood, you need a fan that draws
625 cubic feet per minute.

That's great info, Thanks! I had no ideal about the calculations. My
work area is currently very small (a 6'X3' folding table with an
additional laminate desk-top, over which I place a 3'X2' Homasote or cork
board, depending upon what I'm doing). So now I can actually calculate
what I need

Many glass artisans (for stained glass and torchworking) have rigged
an overhead hood with an inline duct fan like these:
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/...ts%20fans.html

Thanks for the link! Good stuff.

Dennis Brady
Victorian Art Glass
www.vicartglass.com

The Dragon is amazing...same for the "Cutty Sark" - wow!
Fun site.

Old June 25th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Joe wrote in
:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:06:04 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

[...]

Oh, OK - so the main thing is venting to the outside. My desk (I'm just
starting out) is right in front of a douple window, so maybe I should rig
up a vent (rather than leaving the whole window open to the Houston
heat'n'humidity ) that'd funnel air the 18" or so from the desk to the
window, maybe put a particualte filter up-front so the fan doesn't get
all clogged up.

I can't go too expensive so, if it seems like I'm lookng for inexpensive
solutions, it's becasue I am G! At the same time, I don't want to
ignore safety. So far, I'm doing granding and soldering outdoors, but
it's a bit warm right now ((I'd looked at a few soldering-station
units, but all they seem to have is a charcoal filter, so I didn't get
any of those.))

Thanks for the info! -

- Kris

Old June 25th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

wrote in
:

On Jun 20, 5:56 pm, wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:20 am, Joe wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:06:04 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Chemo the Clown wrote in
.
com:

[...]

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...o-usa.com/hakk
o/hj3100.htm+hakko+fume+extractor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4 &gl=us&client=firef
ox-a

Educational, esp. the link to the page explaining the filtration - that
explained a lot. This definitely is an item to keep in mind (and budget
for ).

Thanks!

- Kris
Old June 25th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

howard inhockdeep@peakdotorg wrote in
:

Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, ALl, I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with air-
filtration/fume hood type systems suitble for a very small in-home
glassworking bench. Best would be somehting that coudl be lifted
onto the working surface during soldering/grinding (tho' I intend to
do most of my grinding outside, as I have a covered porch), then
lifted off and moved when I'm wither scoring glass, or using the
table for some other purpose.

TIA!

- Kris

================================
squirrel cage motor
4" flexible dryer hose attached to the motor
wood or styrofoam with 4" hole for the dryer hose
place in window and close window until it abuts the above
vent 4" dryer hose to the outside

cheap, easy and effctive

I googled this, but the only such motors I found prices for *started* at
over $700 =8-O !

But I'd considered a similar setup using a regular tabletop fan, or a duct
fan, with a good CFM rating, since both are easily available.

I looked at some pics of the motors and they're awfully complex, so I'm
thinking along the lines of a duct fan, or at e last a ducted fan. I jsu
thtought of this now, but might be an idea to look at the ducted fans used
to build and fly large model jets... I hadn't thought of that before...

ODS drilling system Jack[_2_] Glass 0 March 16th 07 09:54 AM
Needlework System 4? Katherine Hutter Needlework 1 October 11th 04 02:28 AM
System 96 Rods starlia Beads 1 July 9th 04 08:46 PM
24K plating system on TV? jk Glass 0 June 5th 04 02:19 AM
Anyone use Flynn system Audrey Eischens Quilting 1 November 25th 03 02:55 AM