Back of the work

Old November 28th 04, 02:55 PM
Alison in OH

Default Back of the work

On 2004-11-27 18:44:33 -0500, Lucretia Borgia
said:

Unfortunately, while I mentioned elsewhere in this thread that I didn't
mind the fractional stitches, it's beginning to annoy me that there's
no way to get a perfect vertical when I'm dealing with the odd quarter-
or three-quarter stitch! Augh!

Don't obsess about the backs. Once a piece is framed, the back won't
be seen--unless you're the nutter who framed his piece with an open
(glassed-over) back. The only times a neat back come even close to
being important is when you're doing two-sided work, or work with
backs that might be seen, even if only unintentionally, such as
bellpulls and afghans. Turning a piece over to look at the back is,
to me, comparable to asking to see my undies. 'Tain't none o' your
beeswax!!

I used to ask about the backs of work every time I took a course with
a designer. The answer was exactly as yours Darla, it only matters if
there is a chance that it shows. The only other requirement is that
it not be such a rat's nest as to make it lumpy. Beyond that, at
least five top line designers who stitch beautifully as well and also
the Royal School of Needlework felt it was too anal for words.
Mine are neat, do not carry threads long distances (unless they can be
woven) and are perfectly satisfactory. I have a life that does not
include the back of my needlework!

Too anal for words? But that's half the fun!

In all honesty, the back of this my first piece is very, very far from
being suitable for public inspection. My back-consciousness usually
boils down to preferring a longer vertical or horizontal carry over a
shorter diagonal one -- but the diagonals win out sometimes too. The
fun comes in when achieving that little thrill of working a handful of
stitches in some awkward order and having them come out with only short
verticals. Mini-Happy-Dance!

-Alison (in OH)

Old November 28th 04, 05:04 PM
Dr. Brat

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
Alison (in OH) wrote:

Too anal for words? But that's half the fun!

In all honesty, the back of this my first piece is very, very far from
being suitable for public inspection. My back-consciousness usually
boils down to preferring a longer vertical or horizontal carry over a
shorter diagonal one -- but the diagonals win out sometimes too. The
fun comes in when achieving that little thrill of working a handful of
stitches in some awkward order and having them come out with only short
verticals. Mini-Happy-Dance!

This concentration on the back of the work is preventing you from
moving on and accomplishing more as I read it !

But she's having fun, Sheena! Since when does "accomplishing more"
trump "having fun?" Have some more wine, darling!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old November 29th 04, 01:42 PM
Alison in OH

On 2004-11-28 10:10:32 -0500, Lucretia Borgia
said:

Too anal for words? But that's half the fun!

In all honesty, the back of this my first piece is very, very far from
being suitable for public inspection. My back-consciousness usually
boils down to preferring a longer vertical or horizontal carry over a
shorter diagonal one -- but the diagonals win out sometimes too. The
fun comes in when achieving that little thrill of working a handful of
stitches in some awkward order and having them come out with only short
verticals. Mini-Happy-Dance!

-Alison (in OH)

This concentration on the back of the work is preventing you from
moving on and accomplishing more as I read it !

Wha? On day 8 of my newfound stitching pastime, I feel I've
accomplished plenty!

Yikes, if not enjoying the backs would mean accomplishing MORE, I fear
for my knitting time should I ever stop thinking about backs!

Here's my new progress pic, some 5-10 more hours down the line (I'm
terrible with keeping track of time).

http://homepage.mac.com/smileygsd/tempest_15.jpg

-Alison (in OH)

Old November 29th 04, 05:42 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

On 2004-11-28 10:10:32 -0500, Lucretia Borgia
said:

[...]

Hi Alison

You project looks great so far...keep up the good work.....and guess what? I
can't see the back ! So I guess it's not a really a great concern unless, as
some one else pointed out, it has lumps and bumps!

The thing I consider more important to concentrate on is consistency in how
you make your stitches. You'll notice vertical lines on the back make short,
fat stitches and horizontal lines make tall, skinny stitches. So I'd
suggest that you pick one method and stick with it in any one project. But
the most important thing is enjoy your stitching and don't get too caught up
with doing it the 'right way'! You will develop your own style with
experience.

Mavia

Old November 29th 04, 06:26 PM
Darla

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:42:23 -0500, Alison in OH
wrote:

some 5-10 more hours down the line (I'm
terrible with keeping track of time).

Then don't bother keeping track of time. It's really all about the
process, the journey, not the time consumed. "I started it on ----,
and finished it on ----" really ought to be plenty.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Picture Trail Gallery: www.picturetrail.com User Name: Condorita
www.sisquoc.blog-city.com
Get naked to respond.
Old November 29th 04, 08:08 PM
Alison in OH

Mavia Beaulieu wrote:

The thing I consider more important to concentrate on is consistency in how
you make your stitches. You'll notice vertical lines on the back make short,
fat stitches and horizontal lines make tall, skinny stitches. So I'd
suggest that you pick one method and stick with it in any one project. But
the most important thing is enjoy your stitching and don't get too caught up
with doing it the 'right way'! You will develop your own style with
experience.

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I think I'd noticed that, actually.

No worries, really -- cross-stitch is very soothing to the part of me
that demands attention to meaningless detail. Far from sending me into a
tizzy, I find that losing myself in nitpickiness makes stitching an
incredibly calming and rewarding activity for me. Who'da thunk it?

-Alison

AD - New Work & Update - Tink Tinkster Beads 21 February 9th 05 07:54 PM
Back From AGI: OT Tinkster Beads 20 September 14th 04 08:32 AM
Very OT - Fahrenheit 9/11 Beadseeker Beads 336 July 9th 04 08:47 PM
Looking for Help Roy Neudecker Glass 4 January 20th 04 06:40 PM