Batting mini-rant: Poly v. Cotton

Old September 16th 03, 12:14 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Batting mini-rant: Poly v. Cotton

Hi Guys,
I *hate* that #$*($#&*#$89 poly batting -- rally, truly despise it!!! This
is the second quilt in the last month I have had to make with the stuff and
it's nasty horrid stuff! What makes it so bad is that the quilts (both gifts)
were for people who didn't really want a quilt, they wanted something nice and
fat and PUFFY -- you know -- something more like a ***comforter***!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have never managed to get fat and
puffy out of the lovely W&N cotton batting I have on hand. It's so nice to
work with and it MQ's beautifully. THIS drek (it's supposed to be a better
quality poly) I am using is all scrunched out of shape even after I removed it
from the package and let it "breathe" overnight -- VBS!!! Both quilts were a
beast to MQ so I am only did a wide diagonal grid. I am just thankful that
both quilts were 8" whole cloth blocks making them quicker to MQ.
The first quilt was a wedding gift and I had been asked to reproduce a quilt
from an old Potery Barn catalogue. I was also asked to make it nice and fat
and as puffy as possible (VBS again). The second quilt is for a friend who has
cancer and is about to undergo chemo. This one will be a surprise but I *know*
the person likes "quilts" that are really comforters, not the more traditional,
flatter quilt.
The bright side is that the wedding gift was **8exactly*** what the bride
had envisioned. She was thrilled and that made all the hassel of working with
the poly batting worthwhile. This "chemo" quilt will be even better since my
friend (in Lizard Land) has no clue I am making it. I guess, in the long run,
it doesn't matter what I personally prefer. What matters is that the quilts
were *exactly* what the recipients like and has/will make them both happy.
THAT is the bottom line and what is important :-))). But I still don't like
working with that nasty poly batting -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old September 16th 03, 03:38 PM
Diana Curtis

Big pats on the back for putting up with the batting you hate to make people
you love the very quilt they want.
Im with you on this one. Until I knew the difference, well... I didnt know
there was such an important difference!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
[...]

.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Old September 16th 03, 06:01 PM
Jalynne

I know exactly what you're feeling...i'm going through a very similar issue...only
with hand quilting...sigh. I HATE poly batting....it gets everywhere, caught on my
ring, it's a pain to work with, very bulky....but it's puffy...which is what was
desired. Oh the things we do for the people we love.
--
Jalynne