OT Fire on my beloved Pier

Old October 10th 05, 07:33 AM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Default OT Fire on my beloved Pier

Woke up this morning to some sad news - a huge fire has devastated my
beloved Southend Pier
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/4325430.stm
Latest news reports say that no-one has been hurt but that several of
the buildings have collapsed into the sea.

And the weirdest thing is that we live a mile from the seafront and
didn't hear any fire engines (we're almost directly en-route from our
local fire station to the seafront as well!)... I was also up til nearly
1am flitting around the Web, and the news was the last thing I
checked... first we knew about it was on the 7am news this morning! Paul
and I both work in an office block overlooking the pier, so may well
take camera's in today...

Whilst this doesn't come close to the weekends devastation in Pakistan,
it none-the-less is a very sad time for Southenders, as our pier is so
much of a focal point.

Suzie B
(may have to change my signature now!)
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old October 10th 05, 07:48 AM
Donna in Idaho

Oh, Suzie, I'm sorry to hear about your pier. Always hate to hear landmarks
have been destroyed. Surely there is still a spot for you, or is it
completely destroyed?

Hugs,
Donna

--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org
news

Old October 10th 05, 08:21 AM
Patti

Oh dear. Sorry to hear this Suzie - yet another pier gone.
..
In message , Paul &
Suzie Beckwith writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 10th 05, 10:43 AM
Kate Dicey

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

[...]

Oh, poor Southend! I started my teching career in Benfleet... All the
kids used to go on the pier at the weekends.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 10th 05, 12:39 PM
Queen of Squishies

Oh Suzie, how sad. I was able to watch the video in the news link, and that
is one big fire! I hope they catch whoever is responsible.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 10th 05, 02:40 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

[...]

Oh, Suzie, how awful! I'm so sorry -- I hope it can be rebuilt quickly,
and I'm glad no one was hurt.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 10th 05, 06:11 PM
Pat in Virginia

Oh shoot ... that is bad news. As you say, it is not devastation,
but we all grow fond of the quaint structures and quirks of
nature that make our home towns unique. Maybe a new pier can be
constructed. I still have the Southend Pier decal on my sewing
room window ... and I will keep it there!
PAT in VA/USA

number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 09:59 PM
OT house fire maryd Quilting 8 December 13th 04 08:37 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Swarovski Fire Opal!! Amanda Richards Beads 19 July 20th 04 05:10 AM