sieve screens

Old November 3rd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default sieve screens

This has become a matter of principle. I will find this filter....
http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=F...Z-1666&sc=NXTG
Everything else looks like this
http://www.nextag.com/Swiss-Gold-Swi...28/prices-html

Unless I have let my glaze settle too much I use a nylon paint filter bag on
my five gallon glazes. It is really too much of a mess to deal with though
and I just found this

http://www.antonline.com/p_05185-NX_398460.htm

while looking to show the bag (never could find a good example of the paint
filter bag).

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:49:36 -0400, "DKat"
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-026-33-G.../dp/B00004SPCY

Is this the type you are referring to?

Nope, mine is much squattier, with no handle.
Perfectly round, like the upper 2.5 inches of a yogurt tub.
(And since it isn't from Krups, probably a *lot* cheaper!)
I'm not sure, but I wonder if the "gold tone" of Krups product
refers to a metal mesh... mine is white nylon (or some
similar synthetic.)

I'll take a look the next time I'm in the supermarket and
get a brand name.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!

Old November 4th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 12:43:16 -0400, "DKat"
wrote:

This has become a matter of principle. I will find this filter....
http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=F...Z-1666&sc=NXTG

Yup, that looks *exactly* like the one I have! Price of $3.99 looks
right also.

Everything else looks like this
http://www.nextag.com/Swiss-Gold-Swi...28/prices-html

Unless I have let my glaze settle too much I use a nylon paint filter bag on
my five gallon glazes. It is really too much of a mess to deal with though
and I just found this

http://www.antonline.com/p_05185-NX_398460.htm

while looking to show the bag (never could find a good example of the paint
filter bag).

Hey, this looks like a good find! And the price is right as well,
($3.59, though the $6.98 shipping is a bit steep.) I'll check for
this in my local hardware store and see what the mesh size is.

Old November 14th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tom

I also got the screen from McMasterCarr. I used small metal buckets that I
found at Walmart. Cut the bottoms out and glue in the screen with Gorilla
Glue, which is water proof. I put a small ring of 1/4" plywood over top for
added support. They are still going strong after 2 years. I have a 60, 80,
and 100 mesh but usually just use the 60.

"WJS" wrote in message
Donna:
You don't need a hotplate.
It's called a torch. Heat the plastic up that way, press the screen into
it (wearing gloves or using a metal scraper/spatula) while the plastic is
still "molten". OR
get the plastic molten all the way around, and put the screen flat on a
metal sheet, then invert the bucket and press down. That keeps it nice
and smooooooth.
Just don't make the bucket with too much of a wall. If you do, the
temptation to over fill it will always be there, and the plastic can only
hold so much.
A wall no more than 4-6 inches should suffice.

Makes a spiffy sieve.
Best,
Wayne Seidl

"DKat" wrote in message
I plan on taking one of my 5 gallon plastic buckets, cutting off the
bottom and then melting the plastic into the screen. Now I just need to
figure out how to make a large hot plate.

Donna