3ply or Phentex, what is it?

Old November 7th 03, 04:16 PM
Bryan

Default 3ply or Phentex, what is it?

I'm getting ready to start another shawl, and this pattern says use 5 skeins
Phentex or any 3 ply yarn. What is that? I've never looked close at the
store, but everything I have at home is 4ply: worsted weight, soft or baby,
they're all 4 ply.

Thanks
Bryan

Old November 7th 03, 05:25 PM
Sarah Carter

Bryan wrote in message =
I'm getting ready to start another shawl, and this pattern says use 5 =

skeins
Phentex or any 3 ply yarn. What is that? I've never looked close at =

the
store, but everything I have at home is 4ply: worsted weight, soft or =

baby,
they're all 4 ply.

I feel very silly for saying this, but 3 ply is just a little thinner =
that 4 ply. One ply thinner I imagine )

In the past I have used it for lacy baby garments or when I've raded my =
Mums collection of patterns as it seems to be a thickness of yarn used =
more often in older designs.

Sarah (in the UK)
--=20

Old November 7th 03, 07:08 PM
Katherine Burgess

Phentex is a 3 ply yarn. Very man-made and horrid to work with, but the
colours are great and it wears like iron, which makes it ideal for slippers.
There used to be others, but I haven't seen any for a while. Not much help,
I know, but that's a start.
Katherine

Old November 7th 03, 07:48 PM
Bryan

So wonder why it's suggested for a shawl, if it stiffer or rougher like you
say, or is that now you mean by wears like iron.

I bought some caron simply soft black anyway, so thanks.

Bryan

Old November 7th 03, 09:57 PM
JW

I have used Phentex Chunky in the past (I don't even think you can get it
anymore!), and it was very soft, but didn't hold its shape very well on the
sweater I made. I can't help you on the Phentex 3-ply, though. Sorry.

Jenn

Old November 7th 03, 10:02 PM
news.sonic.net

I just found a place to get phentex - http://www.smileysyarns.com/
I just bought some phentex celaspun and was trying to figure out what to do
with it, and that website showed up. They only have Chunky Ragg though.

kelly

Old November 7th 03, 10:18 PM
JW

Great site! I love the Cervinia heathers there....has anyone worked with
this yarn? I'm curious about it since it looks lovely on the site? How
soft is it? And durable?

Jenn