I am so cute

Old February 17th 05, 02:26 AM
Polly Esther

Default I am so cute

I was so cute today I just made myself sick. It went like this. I was
handstitching the binding on a big quilt. Turning and heaving the quilt
around, I knew, was going to cause the pins holding the binding hem to rake
my old thin skin and turn me into a sieve.
AHA ! I got out the precious little wooden springy clothespins from my
collection of craft supplies and used them to hold the binding flat and
straight. It works, it works.
These little (less than 2" long) clothespins are about $1 for 2 dozen.
That's plenty for securing a couple of yards at a time. They are cheap,
great and look so cute. Buy some soon. Before the quilt supply people find
out about them and sell them for $1 per clothespin. Polly

Old February 17th 05, 02:51 AM
Pauline O'Connell

Polly,
When I attach my binding onto my quilt, I first iron 1/4" Steam A Seam to
the folded edge (the side that folds to the back), then I stitch my binding
on with my machine, press the folded edge to the back side & voila! I hand
stitch the binding & it doesn't need to be pinned or clipped. I used to use
those barrette hair clips, but I just love this method - it's quick & easy
for me.

Pauline
ink.net...

Old February 17th 05, 04:10 AM
Polly Esther

I considered an iron-on help and also toyed with a dotting of simple
wash-away glue but was in a "Purity" mode. We don't know the long term
effects of some things and this was a quilt I hope will be around a long
time, a "Sunday Best" beauty. It just may be my first and only. Making
quilts in the category of "to be loved to pieces" is just heaps more fun.
Polly

"Pauline O'Connell" wrote When I attach my binding onto my quilt, I

Old February 17th 05, 07:23 AM
Sharon Harper

I use the silver bendy ones that go in a girls hair

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old February 17th 05, 01:39 PM
Polly Esther

I like the bendy ones too but somebody here put mine away so I could find
them when I needed them. Polly

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
I use the silver bendy ones that go in a girls hair

Old February 17th 05, 10:54 PM
Pati Cook

I use my fingers. : )
Never have seen the need to hold more than I am sewing down at a time.

YMMV

Pati, grinning in Phx

Old February 18th 05, 01:34 AM
Polly Esther

Well, Pati, let me tell you why I think it is a good idea to pin or clip
ahead for a foot or a yard ahead. If I didn't, I think it would be possible
for the binding to sneak up just a teensy bit and eventually create a ripple
or a pleat. Maybe not for anybody else, but for me - it could happen.
Polly
ink.net...

Old February 18th 05, 03:22 AM
hfw

It's also a whole lot easier on my hands. If it's not held ahead of where
I'm stitching, it seems to take a lot more effort and gripping to hold it to
sew.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old February 18th 05, 04:33 AM
Polly Esther

Heidi, I also conducted several experiments to be easy on my shoulders and
other body parts. I tried stitching the binding with the bulk of the quilt
resting on a table above my lap. I tried it with the weight down on a chair
seat below me; also on the left and on the right. I didn't find one of those
was best. Since I still can move (ah, yes) we will assume that just changing
the level of the quilt is a good thing. Polly

Old February 18th 05, 08:38 AM
Sharon Harper

Aaaah nuff said - now you need to make that person pay! LQS shopping - the
perfect pennance!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under
quicker)
**********************

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I like the bendy ones too but somebody here put mine away so I could find
them when I needed them. Polly

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
I use the silver bendy ones that go in a girls hair

Brand New Scrapbook, Supplies, and more Gift Set in Cute see-thru Purse Tcqtpie General Crafting 0 February 24th 04 10:14 PM
Another cute baby jacket Kayrun Yarn 4 January 24th 04 03:57 AM
Cute Cat w/ ties block RAB/SAB Quilting 8 January 14th 04 01:35 AM
Cute spins on CD Coasters - no pun intended seaspray Yarn 0 December 29th 03 06:19 AM