Pressing matters

Old October 11th 04, 06:53 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Pressing matters

I noticed in a thread a discussion of pressing blocks and having seams
go every which way came up. Currently, I am taking a class at Quilt
University called Press for Success. I would highly recommend it for
those who would like to brush up on their pressing skills.

I like to do pretty picky work and really enjoy itty bitty miniatures of
the traditional and not paper pieced sort. So, I thought that I was
fairly good at pressing. But, I have really learned a lot with this
class. I have also enjoyed the teacher immensely. She is very
responsive to questions and seems to answer every query promptly.

I had taken a class through QU once before and it was truly terrible.
However, I had heard good things about this particular teacher and so
decided to give it another shot. I'm very happy I did. I am interested
in her pressing plans class which teaches how to plan the pressing
directions for blocks so that they go together smoothly and so the
entire top also goes together smoothly. The Press for Success class is
one of the two pre-requesites for that one. So, I'm on my way.

I do not work for QU, I do not own stock or gain financially or in any
other way, I don't know the teacher personally or anything. I've just
liked the class and think that some of you might be interested in it
when it's offered in the future.

marcella
pressing away
Old October 12th 04, 02:10 AM
Polly Esther

I'm an absolute maniac about pressing. I will not even turn on the SM
without first loading up the steam iron and firing it up. Sometimes, I find
that a point will look much better if pressed opposite the direction I had
planned. Thanks for the report, Marcella. The first thing I taught my
beginner quilter was how to fill a steam iron. Polly

Old October 12th 04, 03:29 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
I don't ever fill the iron for steam, but I do keep the iron
and a spritzer bottle right beside the sewing area.
I have found that putting the quilt top together in sections
rather than in long rows helps with keeping the
seams going in the right direction (I press to the side, usually),
pressing smaller areas as each section goes together,
then only one large seam to press at the end.

k.net...

Old October 12th 04, 12:46 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I second what Marcella said. I'm in the class two and busily reading
since I won't likely finish on time.

Maureen

Old October 12th 04, 01:29 PM
frood

I have considered taking this class, but hesitated, for fear it wouldn't
meet my needs. From the description of the class, it appears as though it
helps you figure out a pressing map, but only if you know the intended
layout of the blocks ahead of time. Since I rarely plan that far ahead, I
figured it wouldn't help me much. Does the class address this issue?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 12th 04, 04:46 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

I have considered taking this class, but hesitated, for fear it wouldn't
meet my needs. From the description of the class, it appears as though it
helps you figure out a pressing map, but only if you know the intended
layout of the blocks ahead of time. Since I rarely plan that far ahead, I
figured it wouldn't help me much. Does the class address this issue?

I don't know. Making your own pressing map is the third class and I'm
only in the first one of the series. I do get the impression from this
first class that you are correct, you have to have a general idea of
where things are going to make your pressing map. That does make sense
though....how would you know which way to press unless you know what it
will be up against?

But she does teach quite a few different ways of pressing as opposed to
"only press to the dark" which I think have been helpful.

If I can remember long enough to switch computers, I will ask that
question on our class discussion list and see what the teacher says.

marcella
Old October 13th 04, 06:00 AM
MB

I'm quite sure I have this gal's book and wish I'd read it before I made
the bear's paw blocks . I sewed four of these blocks tog. with sashings
to make a bigger block and I have seam allowances going every which way.
thought everthing was going neat and tidy but they sure did look messier
than I'd hoped for when finished. But, planning that far in advance
is kind of mind boggling I think. Guess I"m too anxious to sew things
together and worry about teh backside later. Mary

Old October 13th 04, 11:06 AM
Patti

Just a tiny point, Mary
(in case it might help you or anyone):
pressing doesn't only make the back look neater. Do a little trial -
needn't take more than a few minutes - especially if you have a point
meeting a straight line, or two points meeting.
Try pressing the seams in as many different ways as you can think of
(not necessarily all the same for every seam) - you will have quite a
few at that sort of junction. After each press, turn the block over and
look at the front - closely! You will see that there is a real
difference, particularly if the fabric is at all thick.
If you don't see any change, fair enough!! you tried g
..
In article , MB
writes
I'm quite sure I have this gal's book and wish I'd read it before I made
the bear's paw blocks . I sewed four of these blocks tog. with sashings
to make a bigger block and I have seam allowances going every which way.
thought everthing was going neat and tidy but they sure did look messier
than I'd hoped for when finished. But, planning that far in advance
is kind of mind boggling I think. Guess I"m too anxious to sew things
together and worry about teh backside later. Mary

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Questions on pressing flowers Tan SC General Crafting 2 August 22nd 04 05:51 AM
Pressing matters frood Quilting 15 March 30th 04 06:05 PM
Pressing Cloth / Applique and Fusibles QuiltShopHopper Quilting 12 March 25th 04 06:51 PM
Pressing glass, porcelain and metal into pottery Pottery 4 December 8th 03 05:09 PM
Pressing and Cutting Paradigm Shift needed frood Quilting 37 July 31st 03 10:20 AM