Paper Bag quilt

Old October 22nd 03, 07:44 PM
AlenasMom

Default Paper Bag quilt

Have you heard of this kind of quilt? It sounds so
cool!http://www.angelthings.com/brown_bag_quilt.htm
I want to try it!!! (It'd help me make a stash!

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old October 22nd 03, 08:03 PM
frood

No, I haven't done that, but I like the quilt! It looks like fun. I bet if
you organized a swap, you'd get enough people who were interested. I've
hosted several before, and it's loads of fun, and really easy (even with
small children - honest!).

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

le.rogers.com...

Old October 22nd 03, 09:00 PM
frood

I've hosted 10" squares swaps, and FEs (Fat Eighths), and Nurse Ratched is
getting ready to mail back swapped 6.5" strips, but most swaps work in a
similar way.

The host decides the rules - what is being swapped, mail in deadline, mail
out deadline, etc. Say for example you wanted to host a swap for this paper
bag quilt. You might decide to swap strips of fabric that are WOF (width of
fabric off the bolt) x 5" wide (allowing for cutting variances). You say you
are swapping sets of 10 strips (all the same), and everyone who is
interested must email you to get your mailing address. All participants
mail you their set of 10 strips, then you swap around the individual strips
so that no one gets their own fabric back, and everyone gets 10 strips, all
different.

That's the basics. Here are the rules I posted for the Halloween swap I do
every year, just to give you a better idea. However, you can make the rules
any way you want, to make it work best for you.

*********
OK, it is down to the wire for you procrastinators! Let me know if you want
to sign up for the 2nd Annual Halloween Hobgoblin Swap! Again, if you think
you are signed up, but have not had a cheery, personal email from me, you
are *not* signed up!!

Here, for the last time, are the Official Rules:

1) We are swapping 10" squares (cut size) of Halloween-themed fabric * (see
Note below). Please measure and cut carefully. If your fabric is noticeably
short of 10", it will be sent back to you, unswapped. Make sure selvedges
and white, unprinted edges are trimmed off before cutting.

2) We are swapping sets of 10 squares. You may send up to 3 sets, if you
use DIFFERENT fabrics for each set. I cannot guarantee you will get back 3
completely different sets, but I'll try. So, you send me 10 squares of
fabric, and you get back 10 new squares of fabric, all different.

3) All fabric must be 100% cotton, quilting-weight. I don't care where you
get it, but if it is thin enough to read newspaper through, I'll send it
back to you, unswapped. Many of the Halloween prints are on thinner fabric,
but please, be reasonable! If you wouldn't make your favorite aunty a quilt
with it, don't send it to the swap, either. Assuming, of course, your
favorite aunty loves Halloween fabrics. :-)

4) I prefer to swap washed, ironed (but NOT starched) fabric. If for some
reason, you cannot wash your fabric before you send it, please mark *each*
square with a note that says "not washed"!!!!! I will be washing my fabric,
and I live in a smoke-free, pet-free home. Your fabric will be fondled, at
least by me, and if you are very lucky and have good taste, Giles and Spike
will give it a fondle, too! However, all fabric will be kept in excellent
condition.

5) Send your fabric squares in a plastic bag, or other wrapping (I see
saran-type wrap a lot), to keep it safe on it's journey, and enclose your
name and address in the wrapping, in case of envelope rippage. Use a
separate baggie for each set, please. Send a self-addressed envelope with
return postage (not metered!!!) in with your swap.

6) Non-USA participants email me for mailing instructions.

7) Mail your package so it arrives in my hands by July 15, and I will mail
the swaps back out by July 23rd

8) Email me privately to sign up and get my mailing address.

9) If you sign up, but find you cannot participate, please send me a note to
let me know not to expect anything from you. Stuff happens, no big. But a
note will give me a heads up, so I don't sit by the mailbox, harassing Alton
everyday. :-)

10) If you have read these rules all the way through each time, and you can
tell the difference between them, you win a prize.

NOTE: Halloween-themed fabric - This year, we are swapping anything
Halloweeny, such as novelty with pumpkins, witches (hey! some of my best
friends are witches!), skeletons, monsters, Trick or Treaters. Also
acceptable are all-over prints that look like background fabric (like that
candy corn one, that's just candy corn, with no spaces in it) as long as the
fabric is Halloween oriented. This does NOT include Fall leaves, or Indian
corn, or solids or nearly-solids. Yes, those are all lovely fabrics, but not
what this swap is about.

Yardage needed: for 10 10" squares, you need 1 yard of standard width
fabric. If you prefer to send 10 different prints, all 10" square, that's
fine. Or mix and match. As long as you send 10 10" square fabrics in a
Halloween print. Remember, if you send more than one set of squares, you
MUST use a different set of fabrics. If you send 3 sets of all the same
fabrics, then people will get repeats, and that spoils the fun!

*******
Remember, these are just the guidelines I used for one of my swaps. This is
not an actual swap sign-up!!!

Old October 23rd 03, 01:44 AM
Royce

And a fine job she does with her swaps, too. What does this quilt look
like? Did I miss a link?

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

news

Old October 23rd 03, 01:44 AM
AlenasMom

"Royce" wrote in message
And a fine job she does with her swaps, too. What does this quilt look
like? Did I miss a link?

http://www.angelthings.com/brown_bag_quilt.htm

There are directions there too.

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

news

Old October 23rd 03, 02:20 AM
Royce

Thanks, appropriately copied & filed for future use.

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

"Royce" wrote in message
And a fine job she does with her swaps, too. What does this quilt look
like? Did I miss a link?

http://www.angelthings.com/brown_bag_quilt.htm

There are directions there too.

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

news

*

Old October 23rd 03, 03:07 AM
Nurse Ratched

I bet if
you organized a swap, you'd get enough people who were interested. I've
hosted several before, and it's loads of fun, and really easy (

Plus, people give you stuff!

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old October 23rd 03, 03:10 AM
Nurse Ratched

This is a GREAT scrappy quilt. sigh Just what I need......another IDEA.
big sigh

Old October 23rd 03, 01:00 PM
Queen of Squishies

That sounds like fun! Gives me ideas for a lot of different things!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net