Any carvers here?

Old November 1st 04, 10:10 PM
Dave jackson

Default Any carvers here?

Hi, I'm going to learn to carve. Just wondering if any seasoned carvers
hang out here, or is this group just a place where everyone else posts spam
and other OT junk. I've been watching for a few weeks, and haven't seen
much carving activity! If there are some real folks out there, I'd be glad
to put this group on the list of groups I visit regularly, if not, I guess
I'll look elsewhere for learning resources. Thanks, -dave

Old November 1st 04, 11:11 PM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:10:32 GMT, "Dave jackson"
wrote:

Hi, I'm going to learn to carve. Just wondering if any seasoned carvers
hang out here,

Yeah, there are a lot of us. I don't know about anyone else, but it's
my busy season. Christmas presents and stuff.

--RC

or is this group just a place where everyone else posts spam
and other OT junk. I've been watching for a few weeks, and haven't seen
much carving activity! If there are some real folks out there, I'd be glad
to put this group on the list of groups I visit regularly, if not, I guess
I'll look elsewhere for learning resources. Thanks, -dave

"You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger
Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our
Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running
For President On His Vietnam War Record"
Old November 2nd 04, 12:36 AM
GJP

"Dave jackson" wrote in
link.net:

Hi, I'm going to learn to carve. Just wondering if any seasoned
carvers hang out here, or is this group just a place where everyone
else posts spam and other OT junk. I've been watching for a few
weeks, and haven't seen much carving activity! If there are some real
folks out there, I'd be glad to put this group on the list of groups I
visit regularly, if not, I guess I'll look elsewhere for learning
resources. Thanks, -dave

Yeah there are a few, but if you want to learn about woodcarving, you might
want to check out Bill Judt's woodcarving list.
Lots of help available and no question is stupid.(G)

GJP

Old November 2nd 04, 08:52 PM
Bill Houdek

I am a fairly active carver and am also disappointed with the lack of
woodcarvers participating. Frankly, my knowledge & skills come from trial &
error. I got a few manuals at a Woodcraft store and visited with the folks
there. Seems they are now more of a woodworking store than carving. I also
go to the various carving shows and visit with the professionals. I also
joined the Woodcarvers Association and get their quarterly magazine.

Bill Houdek

Old November 12th 04, 02:34 PM
JR

Hi Fred,

I could use some suggestions. I recently started carving, and it
happened to be a bird that got me there. I am looking to get some bits for a
rotary carver (1/8 inch shank), but don't know which ones to start with, or
where to get them from. I guess what I need are some bits to remove quite a
bit of wood, some more refined bits for working around the beak and
detailing the feathers, and whatever is needed to stone the bird (That's
what I heard it was called anyway, where you rough up the body a little
before burning). For now, I am going to stick with birds around 8 to 12
inches.
Also, where do you get drawings and painting instructions? Is there a
good resource for that?
Thanks in advance!

John

wrote in message
m...

Hi, I may be able to help anyone interested in realistic bird
carving and/ or gunstock checkering and carving. Iv'e been at it for
30 years or so as a hobby . I don't claim to be an expert, but am
willing to share what I know and what works for me.I just finished a
hummingbird carving complete with morning glory vines,flowers and
leaves.Also did a basket-weave pattern on a rifle stock which is
actually easy to do. I'll be happy to help if anyone is
interested.Thanks,Fred