Kiln wash keeps peeling off

Old June 8th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Default Kiln wash keeps peeling off

I am having a heck of a time keeping my kiln wash on my shelves. When
they were new, I covered them, and they went along just fine until I
added another coat after some of the wash came off the way it should,
as in keeping the dripped glaze from sticking to the shelf. I gave
them all a good cleaning, then applied the wash as I had before, but
after the first firing with the new coat, it just flaked off.

I tried heating the shelves up, as per some info on this site, but it
really made no difference, it is still very flaky.

Could my kiln wash be too thin, too thick, does it get old?
I apply it with a small roller, as the kiln tech at Laguna clay told
me to do.
And, it's a natural gas kiln, in case that makes any difference.
Sa

Old June 8th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

This will happen if the wash is applied too thickly. I sometimes wet sponge
the shelf before applying wash. Did you mix up the wash fresh or has it
been sitting? If it has been sitting then evaporation will might have made
it thicker. I put on a real thin coat, do the bisque fire with the shelves,
then apply another thin coat for the glaze fire. I never have been able to
get the shelves like I like them though.

Donna

oups.com...

Old June 8th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Thanks, will do. I do think I had it to thick, and it has been sitting
around. Wetting the shelf also sounds like a great idea, duh, I
shoulda known.
Sa

Old June 24th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
MüddSlingger

On Jun 8, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Thanks, will do. I do think I had it to thick, and it has been sitting
around. Wetting the shelf also sounds like a great idea, duh, I
shoulda known.
Sa

You don't want to wet the shelf before you apply the kiln wash...
except maybe to lightly sponge off the dust from sanding off the old
kiln wash. Applying wash to a wet shelf could cause it to flake off.
just like applying glaze to wet bisqueware could cause glaze to shiver/
flake off.

You should sand off the old kiln wash (so no wash flakes off and
falls into your glazed pieces) and flip the shelf to stifle warpage.
There are a lot of kiln wash recipes out there on the web... a simple
one is:

33 EPK
66 Aluminum Hydrate
__________________

100

Some recipes additionally call for ball clay and/or silica (AKA flint
or SiO2). the application may vary too as some clays like to stick to
anything with silica.

I apply wash with a large paint brush, I find I have more control of
the thickness that way... However if you have tons of shelves to do it
might take all day. The roll on might be more time efficient. The key
to applying kiln wash STIR OFTEN! like every 4-5 brush strokes or
every time you dunk the roller; kiln wash settles lightning fast.

I brush on two coats leaving them to dry fully between coats. Then I
scrape the edge to make sure I don't have any excess wash on the edges
that might flake off onto a glazed piece. Then I use the newly coated
shelves in a bisque firing first before I use them in a glaze firing.
The selves get used from ^06 electric to ^10R.

Peace,
Darin

Kiln wash recipe for ^6 5string Pottery 3 January 24th 07 01:57 AM
kiln wash recipe A&V Pottery 7 November 24th 03 06:07 AM
Kiln Wash Lindsay MacArthur Pottery 2 November 19th 03 10:01 PM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM
Kiln Wash L.Mac Pottery 3 July 23rd 03 10:31 PM