opinions on Essential Thread?

Old January 20th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Wren

Default opinions on Essential Thread?

Hi,

I am interesting in ordering some Essential Thread from Connecting
Threads and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? I found it
mentioned in one post in July in the archives but that's all. I have
some Aurifil and Mettler silk finish for piecing but I need more color
variations and the thread sets of Essential thread look like a good
deal. I have a Janome 6500 and an Husqvarna Iris that I'd be using the
thread for. The Mettler Silk finish is too linty for the Janome but
works fine in the Husqvarna.

Renee

Old January 21st 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Renee, I've tossed your question around in my little head for a while but
don't quite understand it. I don't know why you'd need color variation for
piecing. Of course, you wouldn't want to use Passion Hot Pink for putting
white pieces together, but just generally stitching pieces, the color you
use doesn't matter much. Standard boring things such as white, beige, gray,
black and perhaps red should equip you for piecing just fine. OTOH, if
you're doing acres of SM visible or invisible appliqué, that's quite another
matter. Why don't you order just one spool of the Essential and see what
your SMs think about it? I never realized how much my Berninas hated
Gutermann until I tried their black thread using a white Bernina. Mercy.
That stuff shed more than a big kitty. Polly

"Wren" wrote I am interesting in ordering some Essential Thread from

Old January 21st 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I have used Essential for piecing and don't remember having
any problems.

For piecing I just use off white, light to med grey, dark
grey and maybe black. The only "colour" I would go out and
buy would be red. If I am travelling with my machine I just
take a taupe/khaki colour and that does everything pretty
much OK.

Not criticizing, but why would you want to bother matching
threads for piecing? If your tension is right you won't see
the stitching.

I save matching for quilting and top stitching threads.
Even applique can be done (by hand) with just a couple of
neutrals. I do 90% of my hand applique with taupe #100
silk.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Wren" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi,
:

Old January 21st 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I have not used the Essential Thread so I can't give an opinion. But I
do try to match close to my fabric to when piecing. I just find it
works better for me over all. But I'm just rather particular on my
piecing. So, remember, there are no quilt police. If someone wants to
match the thread, they can... if you don't want to... don't.... I'm
willing to bet you are all equally happy with your finished product.

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old January 21st 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Wren

Polly,

There is a Neutrals thread set that I was considering. I have white
and black in Gutermann thread and it's so linty that I won't use it in
my Janome because I run that machine at it's higher speeds. I use the
HV at a much lower speed so it doesn't seem to shed as much while
threaded in that machine. I bought a cream and a grey from Aurifil but
when those spools arrived I found that they were so much lighter than
expected even though I chose from a color chart. I can't use the grey
on darks. I need a smokey grey to replace the Gutermann black. As I
said, the Mettler is also too linty for my Janome and the dark grey I
have is a Mettler. For the cost of replacing two Aurifil spools plus
shipping, I can buy a set of ten neutrals from Connecting Threads or
(or spend $9 a spool for Superior at the local sew 'n vac store).

One spool is $1.99...order just one and add shipping--that defeats the
purpose of ordering it online. That's why I've asked for
opinions---just looking for an informal "consumer report."

Renee

Old January 21st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Wren

Hi Cheryl,

I don't have an adequate selection of neutrals. I have tons of
quilting and applique thread in many colors. I purchased too many
spools of Gutermann on Jo-Ann sales before I bought my 6500. Now I
regret it and will use them in the serger.

Renee
CATS wrote:
[...]

"Wren" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi,
:

Old January 21st 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I bought the Essential Thread neutral collection and I will probably buy
it again. In my Elna, it seems to lint somewhat more than Aurifil, but
not as much as the C&C Star brand; all of them are less linty in my
machine than the C&C Dual Duty. It seems finer than the Star thread but
not as fine as the Aurifil. It's been quite a while since I used the
Mettler; I quit using it after I found the Star because Star was so much
less expensive and not much different in the amount of lint in the
machine. I like variety in the neutrals collection. I tend to use a lot
of neutrals for piecing, choosing lighter or darker based on the colors
of fabric I'm piecing.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 22nd 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I'm with you, Wren. The Aurifil color chart online isn't quite right for me
either. What I thought was off-white is so white that I have to go outside
or put it under the Ott to see which one is which. What I thought would be a
nice boring beige turned out to be toastier than I had in mind. There is a
shop here in our state that sells Aurifil online; that's faster shipping for
me but then I have to pay sales tax which offends my delicate sensibilities.
Using a smoky gray for blacks strikes me as a very smart idea; thanks Wren.
Polly

"Wren" wrote Polly,

Old January 22nd 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Wren

Thank you, Julia, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Renee