Long stitches

Old October 6th 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

Default Long stitches

I am stitching a pattern that has a motif that has an area of long
straight stitches in the design. It's Chatelaine's Greek Mandala, the
windmills. They looked fine when I stitched them, but now, many
months later, the stitches have gone slack and will obviously have to
be redone. But how can I stop it from happening again? A lot of
these stitches go out into empty space, so there's no way to tack them
on the back.

Any ideas?

Sara
Old October 26th 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

On Oct 6, 8:29*am, Sara wrote:
I am stitching a pattern that has a motif that has an area of long
straight stitches in the design. *It's Chatelaine's Greek Mandala, the
windmills. *They looked fine when I stitched them, but now, many
months later, the stitches have gone slack and will obviously have to
be redone. *But how can I stop it from happening again? *A lot of
these stitches go out into empty space, so there's no way to tack them
on the back.

Any ideas?

Sara

Sara:

I have several pieces like that - very frustrating. However, I find I
have less problem if I use a laying tool when I do these long
stitches. Because it straightens the floss, there seems to be less
slackening later. I have one Tudor style band sampler where the satin
stitches were quite long, and are now slack and twisted. I din't use
my laying tool.

MargW
Old October 27th 11, 10:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:54:04 -0700 (PDT), MargW
wrote:

I have several pieces like that - very frustrating. However, I find I
have less problem if I use a laying tool when I do these long
stitches.

They're one ply. I definitely use my laying tool for multiple strand
long stitches. I restitched some of the windmills, and did some
unobtrusive tightening on the back for others. I'm still beading this
one, and there are literally 100s of beads, so I'll see how they look
when it's finally finished.

Sara
Old October 27th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

wrote:

I have several pieces like that - very frustrating. However, I find I
have less problem if I use a laying tool when I do these long
stitches.

They're one ply. I definitely use my laying tool for multiple strand
long stitches. I restitched some of the windmills, and did some
unobtrusive tightening on the back for others. I'm still beading this
one, and there are literally 100s of beads, so I'll see how they look
when it's finally finished.

Sara

In Japanese (and other Asian embroideries) they use quite long stitches
in a number of ways. Most notably plumaria (needle painting). But you
can use this technique in other types of embroideries. You'll need to
be able to get underneath and have the material stretched quite taut.
As you make the stitch, you pull tightly on the back of the stitch
(underneath the fabric). This ensures you won't get a slackening later
on. It's tricky to learn, but once you "get it", it's something well
worth knowing how to do.

Dianne
Old October 27th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

hey Dianne - are you sure of the name of the needlework? I'm not
nitpicking but the name jumped out at me because my mother grew Plumeria
(a flower used in making leis) for years. Lovely sweet scent.

I'm going to go look some more for a video - I'm the mood to try
something "new" and it sounds handy for a crewel piece I saw.

Good the "hear your voice"
Cheryl
Old October 27th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

hey Dianne - are you sure of the name of the needlework? I'm not
nitpicking but the name jumped out at me because my mother grew Plumeria
(a flower used in making leis) for years. Lovely sweet scent.

I'm going to go look some more for a video - I'm the mood to try
something "new" and it sounds handy for a crewel piece I saw.

Good the "hear your voice"
Cheryl

Yes, plumaria is the original feather stitching term for needle
painting. If you Google "plumaria embroidery" you'll find it. It's
Latin for feather work and the word emerged centuries ago to define
"needle painting".

Dianne

Old October 28th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/27/11 6:55 PM, Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
hey Dianne - are you sure of the name of the needlework? I'm not
nitpicking but the name jumped out at me because my mother grew Plumeria
(a flower used in making leis) for years. Lovely sweet scent.

I'm going to go look some more for a video - I'm the mood to try
something "new" and it sounds handy for a crewel piece I saw.

Good the "hear your voice"
Cheryl

Yes, plumaria is the original feather stitching term for needle
painting. If you Google "plumaria embroidery" you'll find it. It's Latin
for feather work and the word emerged centuries ago to define "needle
painting".

Dianne

have you seen a video for the technique? I'm finding lots on the flower
to embroider.

Not that I have time to try it and all, but would love to watch it done

Cheryl
Old October 28th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure if this would help you or not but there are tutorials on long
and short shading on this website.

http://www.needlenthread.com/2009/07...-lesson-1.html

Mavia