PING: nzlstar*

Old April 2nd 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Default nzlstar*

"SewVeryCreative" wrote in message
I should *probably* do this privately,

I think you have excellent instincts and should *probably* act upon them.

Val

Old April 2nd 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Default PING: nzlstar*

I should *probably* do this privately, but I'm posting it publicly in case
anyone else has (or might have in the future) issues like Jeanne's dealing
with.

**Please note that I'm venturing to the dark side of what I do and what I
went to college for -- and please, please don't think I'm an evil person!**

Jeanne, you need to think like a *marketer* with your pole problem. You need
to make YOUR problem THEIR problem -- meaning, of course, your neighbors and
anyone else who can help you locally. You need to embarass those who are
putting you through this. You need to think like a marketer. You need to
think about the BEST way to "sell" your neighbors on how bad this is. You
need to "sell" your government on how embarassing this can be for them.

Your best bet is to get your neighbors ****ed off (sorry for the foul
language, guys) WITH you. And to do that you need to make them see that THEY
could be NEXT. It's the same as the "Fire" principle. Damn nigh every police
official will tell you that if you're being attacked by a mugger or rapist,
that you'll get more attention and help if you yell "Fire" rather than
"Rape" or "Help." Why? Because fire affects EVERYONE. It whacks the ol'
"What about MY safety" instinct into action.

GET YOUR NEIGHBORS INVOLVED:

Get a video camera -- a still camera will work, but a video camera is
better. Make sure that you can take film to digital formats.

Take pictures. Take a picture from the "best" view. Meaning, take a picture
from your kitchen window that shows how ugly the damn thing is and how it
obstructs your view. Take the pic in such a way that it's obvious even to
the dumbest, most oblivious person, how ugly it is and how much it makes
your view and quality of live STINK. Make sure that you show that you're
taking the pic from INSIDE your home. That way, even the most oblivious
person can SEE that it's not far off and a marginal nuisance.

Take video of the eyesore when its it's worse -- at night and in use. Make
sure that you have the lights off in your home so others can see how bright
it is and how much it makes your quality of life STINK. Comment, or have
friends over to comment, on how bright it is and what a PITA it is.

Go to your local realtor and ask them to assess the property value of your
home. Ask them how much it would sell for with NO poles, and ask how much it
will sell for if you have any more poles installed. Get it in writing.

Get a website or a blog. Take the materials above (the stills, the video,
the realtor's property value assessment) and put them on the site. I can
help you with that if you like. It's what I do.

Make business cards with the website/blog addy and pass them out. You can do
this yourself with an inkjet printer and cardstock. Again, I can help with
this, if you like.

Make up flyers, showing the WORSE stills and use copy/text on the flyer to
the effect of "Your view could be next!" or "How much would YOUR house be
worth?!" Let them see that if the powers that be have done it YOU, that it
could be done to THEM, too. Your neighbors will take it seriously if THEIR
quality of life or property values could be in jeopardy. Make sure to put
your website's URL on them.

EMBARASS THE JERKS PUTTING THOSE STUPID POLES IN:

Take those flyers, a business card and a neatly typed letter and take it to
the loca media. Papers are good, news stations are even better.

Put the flyers up ALL over town. At the grocery store, the local shops, the
park, and government buildings. What you really, really want with this is to
make sure that the government KNOWS that you're putting the word out on
them. Make those idiots in the suits nervous.

Start your own committe (maybe the "Get the Stupid Poles Outta Here
Committee?" -- anything snappy, easy to remember, and to the point is best)
and advertise it in the local paper. Perhaps in the "What's going on this
weekend" section, or the "Local happenings" or even in a regular department
that talks about clubs and their meeting dates in the area. Even if you're
the only member of the committe for now, it's fine. Just as long as your
committee is REAL and has a purpose.

Approach a local attorney who has a track record of taking on political
causes. Let them see your pics, your video, etc. Talk to them about how no
one's paying attention and how the rules are being horribly broken.

Now, obviously, this is a lot of work. But it WILL work. Trust me. I've
helped it work. And I've seen it work more times than I care to say.

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old April 2nd 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

Default OT nzlstar*

Val wrote:
"SewVeryCreative" wrote in message
I should *probably* do this privately,

I think you have excellent instincts and should *probably* act upon them.

Val

That's one opinion and probably other people share it. But I have a
different opinion, and maybe other people share it. I think a
longstanding and highly valued member of this community is going through
hell right now and it's good that we publically give her our support.
Especially because she has said she feels unsupported and alone, and
because this is uncharacteristic of her.

As a matter of netiquette, off-topic posts should be marked OT so that
people who want to read quilt-related only topics are still free to do
that. But this group has a long tradition of permitting OT posts,
especially when the topic is community members supporting other
community members.

So my vote is that Connie's post was OK, but to be picky it should have
been marked OT.
Old April 2nd 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

With all due respect, Val, it was addressed specifically to nzlstar/jeanne
.... whilst that certainly doesn't keep others from reading it, it does
forewarn that the message isn't meant for everyone, I'd think.

Old April 2nd 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DEM

I should *probably* do this privately,

I think you have excellent instincts and should *probably* act upon them.

Val

What concerns me is "who" these people are who are putting up
the poles. Are they known personally? Or are they strangers?
Are they "good" people or is there a possibility that there is"bad"
in them.

There were a lot of suggestions to do to stop the poles....but
what about what happens if they only get the people so upset
that they take justice into their own hands and deal with the
person who is giving them so much grief in their own way?
And possibly that way is not the ending any one would want.
This scenero happens often!

Making noise can and does and has worked. But one still
has to know their enemy and know t hem well.

Donna
in WA

Old April 2nd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default for me alone so obviously tis OT, was....... nzlstar*

no worrys, i'm on the case.
we had the neighbourhood meeting on sunday, so i'm sure they
all agree they poles going up without consultation would
have meant there would now be no issues over poles as they'd
of been forced to put in the more expensive telescopic poles
they have told me on the phone that were considered but
passed in cuz they were too expensive.
oh well, now what is all this costing them in
time/energy/resources.
no worrys, i'll fix their little red wagon and with way less
running here/there/everywhere.
suits, hah!!
j.

"SewVeryCreative" ...

Old April 2nd 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default for me alone so obviously OT was..... nzlstar*

the city council put up the poles.
the poles exceed their own rules for max height.
there is a govt act(law) that requires them to get resource
consent.
it is my opinion they should have consulted with the
neighbouring propertys becuz they poles exceed the hgt
allowed by 65%.
that is like me being allowed a 6 ft tall fence but deciding
to put up an 11ft fence on day without discussing this with
neighbours even as i gave myself (by convincing the
commissioners that give the approval) resource consent to do
it. council determined the huge poles in the park, twice the
size of our street light poles out front, would not have any
adverse affect on the visual amenity of the neighbouring
residental propertys.
guess they are all idiots. cuz it sure has an effect on more
than just me. others also dont like the poles there all day
everyday. they are too tall, cutting right into the view of
others. they poles are taller than the fully grown oak trees
(council calls this the 'screening vegetation', eh?
nope they did wrong and we're right, notification and
consultation would not put us in this position today.
they have addressed their wrong doing, now they must address
how they will fix it.
tis simple enough, just need to slap them round the ear'ole
so they figure that out.
right now they are trying all they can to avoid dealing with
it by trying to show us they did it by the book when they
did not.
j.

Old April 2nd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Jeanne, I figured you could corral those goobers ... just wanted to offer
help in any which that I can!!

You get'em, Girlfriend!! w00t!! w00t!!

As my momma used to say (usually TO me and ABOUT me), you go paint their
backporch red!!

Old April 2nd 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Another idea might be to just not read posts with other people's names in
them?

Much like the bathroom medicine cabinet at a friend's house, just because
it's *there* doesn't mean you *have* to look.

Ping nzlstar Debra Quilting 4 February 6th 08 06:42 PM
Ping: nzlstar* Patti S Quilting 3 February 7th 07 11:09 PM
Ping nzlstar Debra Quilting 2 January 20th 07 01:14 PM
PING: nzlstar* Kate G. Quilting 6 October 13th 06 09:37 AM
Ping nzlstar Jessamy Quilting 9 February 28th 06 07:29 AM