Finishes, do I need to varnish?

Old October 20th 04, 01:07 AM
C A . Butler

Default Finishes, do I need to varnish?

Hi all
When I have baked my Premo Sculpey, is it essential to varnish my creation,
what are the consequences if I don't and if I have to varnish, what should I
use, bearing in mind I am on a very tight budget. I have read on the
newsgroup that clear nail varnish works??
Thanks in advance
Cheryl

Old October 20th 04, 03:20 AM
~Candace~

Future Floor Polish, Cheryl. It's not expenisve at all (my budget is crying
out to me all the time too) and it's SO freaking easy to do. You can either
dip your pieces in it or use the softest brush you can get a hold of to
paint your pieces with it.

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

Old October 20th 04, 09:06 AM
E J Ralph

Hi Cheryl

You can buy Future floor polish in the UK, but here it is sold as
"Klear" by S C Johnson.
You will find it in most supermarkets, where they keep the furniture
polish and floor wax and stuff like that. In a clear bottle with a
blue cap.

It is great stuff and very economical and is water-based too.

Do not use nail varnish (or any other solvent based varnishes) on
polymer clay. They are not compatible.
Some things may see fine, but you can find they turn sticky or yellow
weeks or even months later. Stick with things that are known to be
compatible, such as the clay manufacturers own varnishes, or acrylic
based products such as Klear.

Emma

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:22:49 GMT, "C A . Butler"
wrote:

hi
is the attached the correct item and where can i buy it online or in uk
thanks again

Old October 21st 04, 03:43 PM
Stephanie

Do you know, can you use a wax like bee's wax and buff that. I am thinking wax
because it will fill any little unwanted dings but will buff to an even shine.
I guess "Johnsons Paste Wax" is out because it has other stuff in it. Solvents
I think... Future really shows off any scratches or dings because it clings so
perfect to the piece. I have been trying Future then buffing it and giving it
another coat or two with mixed success.

..Stephanie.
Old October 21st 04, 03:56 PM
Diana Curtis

Hi Steph!
The real trick is to get them as perfect as possible before baking. Do you
use rubber/latex gloves or something?
I hate sanding, and just plain wont sand beads. Its part of why I dont make
them often. Focals, maybe, but I always seem to miss a dent or goober.
Arrghh.. thats why those ornament balls are more my forte. They are easier
to handle after baking.
I dont know about wax. Seems to me pure wax would work tho. Have you
considered tumbling your beads?
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 21st 04, 05:54 PM
Stephanie

Do you
use rubber/latex gloves or something?

Yeah, Candace got me using those and smoothing with cornstarch.

Have you
considered tumbling your beads?

Yes, I am working on Santa...

It's always a dilema, buy beads or buy clay or buy tools... Such is life LOL!

..Stephanie.

Old October 21st 04, 06:35 PM
Diana Curtis

Yep, yep.. thats who we less than affluent peeps do it. We want it all, and
we WILL have it.
Just think, garage sale season next year could land you a tumbler. Ebay
might have one that suits your needs... in the mean time you could create
little faux candies for a poly gingerbread house instead of beads, or make
ones that dont require sanding.
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)
m...

Old October 22nd 04, 03:00 AM
Stephanie

Just think, garage sale season next year could land you a tumbler.

It is in fact yard sale season now. It has cooled down enough! I am going
scrounging on Saturday!

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question? Search RCB:
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36