stiches problem HELP

Old May 19th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
chatty cathy

Default stiches problem HELP

ok i am not a good sew person but i do like the idea of sewing..does
that make sense? haha
i have a sewing machine my aunt gave me with everything i need to sew
but when i begin to sew i stitch a few times and i think all is ok and
then BAM the stitches arent sewing on the fabric or they are bulking up
and are a big bundle of th reads and i have to go back and rip it
apart...i cant seem to get my sewing machine to just sew a straight
simple stictch..i seem to have this problem often..i think maybe its the
way im threading the needle or maybe the tension but i dont know what it
should be on..im an idiot to this sort of stuff..i have so much material
and threads and embellishmetns my aunt gave me and im wasting it by it
sitting there..
any suggestions why my thread bundles or doesnt sew at all on the
material?
fustrated...cathy

Old May 19th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply[_2_]

You are correct in that it is the threading or the tension. What make
and model is your machine, which side do they bunch up on, and are you
absolutely sure you are threading it properly? Maybe we can find a
threading diagram for you -- there are some sites that post a lot of
them for free.

The other thing to try is to hold both threads when you start sewing so
that they don't pull back into the seam line and make a mess.

If you don't have a cheap piece-of-junk machine that won't hold its
tension (been there, done that, trashed the machine and got my son an
old machine from the 50s that works far better than the other one did
even when brand new) you may not be able to permanently solve the
problem without getting another machine, though.

Old May 19th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Val

When I read the machine was a gift the "cheap machine theory" was the first
thing that went through mind as well. Think I'll wait for answer on the
make/model before making comments or suggestions.

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old May 19th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Is there any way you can take a couple of photos of the problems
you're seeing when you're sewing and post them someplace like picturetrail
or flicker so we can see them, too?

Are you getting loops on the back
of the fabric? If so, that's probably due to a dirty upper tension
or incorrect threading. When you thread the upper part of the machine,
you need to raise the presser foot -- that opens the tension disks and
lets the thread between the tension disks. If you've been playing with
the upper tension knob, try setting it back to 4.

When's the last time this machine was cleaned and oiled? That may have
a lot to do with it.

Kay

Old May 19th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
chatty cathy

My sewing machine is a kenmore table top with a case..my aunt kept this
oiled and cleaned cause she was a seamstress and so i dont have the guts
to call her up and tell her my problem..she thinks i can sew well and
although i didnt tell her that she just assumes..
the stitches i do are just a big bundle of knots and instead of
sewing along the fabric they stay in one place and gather up till it
gets too tight to do anymore or until i catch it..
i usually catch it cause im looking out for it..
i can try and take some photos but i will just attach them to the
email here cause i dont have a place to take them..and dont know how..
this machine has many attachments and zig zags on it but heck
i just like the straight stitch..i am simple..haha
thanks all...cathy

Old May 20th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

chatty cathy wrote:
My sewing machine is a kenmore table top with a case..

Model number/name?

my
aunt kept this oiled and cleaned cause she was a
seamstress and so i dont have the guts to call her up and
tell her my problem..

She might love the opportunity to help you out! ;-) She
gave you the machine to love and care for, she surely wants
you to enjoy using it.

she thinks i can sew well and
although i didnt tell her that she just assumes.. the
stitches i do are just a big bundle of knots and instead
of
sewing along the fabric they stay in one place and gather
up till it gets too tight to do anymore or until i catch
it.. i usually catch it cause im looking out for it..

Sounds very much like a threading tension issue. Do you
have the manual? If not, take a look here to see if they
have a threading diagram for your machine:
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Diagrams.htm

Also, be sure you have a new needle *inserted* correctly.

i can try and take some photos but i will just
attach them to the email here cause i dont have a place
to take them..and dont know how..

You cannot attach photos to alt.sewing, this is a non-binary
newsgroup not e-mail.
You can upload photos to several online sites, then post the
*URL* here.

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome....romlogo= true

this machine
has many attachments and zig zags on it

You really need the manual, you'll want to properly maintain
the machine. If a manual did not come with the machine, try
locating one (either download or hardcopy). They have many
manuals he
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...on_Manuals.htm

HTH,

Beverly

Old May 28th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
chatty cathy

Default stiches problem fixed!!!

i finally had mom take a look at it and me and her tinkered with it and
finally i took the bobbin apart..wow lots of dust bunnies in there..plus
i had the tension wrong and also the wrong pressure foot..[good grief]
then i also had it threaded wrong so i guess most of it was all my fault
except for the bobbin part..but now all is fixed and im sewing a
straight stitch and very happy...
im learning to not be afraid of the machine and just get more
involved with it..if i do that i can learn more..
thanks all for your help
cathy

Old May 28th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

chatty cathy wrote:
i finally had mom take a look at it and me and her tinkered with it and
finally i took the bobbin apart..wow lots of dust bunnies in there..plus
i had the tension wrong and also the wrong pressure foot..[good grief]
then i also had it threaded wrong so i guess most of it was all my fault
except for the bobbin part..but now all is fixed and im sewing a
straight stitch and very happy...
im learning to not be afraid of the machine and just get more
involved with it..if i do that i can learn more..
thanks all for your help
cathy

Now that you have successfully solved these problems, you know that you
can solve any future ones. Happy sewing to you!
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Sewing machine making very small stiches Ed from AZ Quilting 8 January 9th 08 07:07 AM
Little Problem Shillelagh Yarn 20 October 27th 04 02:50 PM
A few common Middle Eastern Stiches Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 January 23rd 04 07:09 AM
Picking up heel stiches Peggy Rogers Yarn 5 September 22nd 03 12:14 AM
MQ problem DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 2 July 14th 03 12:39 PM