what batt for fluffy quilt?

Old December 21st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Default what batt for fluffy quilt?

Criminey! it's disgusting the stuff that appears when I search on "quilt
batt tied"! I should've just posted here to begin with.

I'm making a quilt that's going to get washed, slept on by cats & dogs,
taken to football games, etc., so I am planning to tie it. The giftee also
likes high loft. What's the fluffiest, least likely to bunch or travel,
will stand up to washing and need minimum ties? Not asking much, am I?
; )

TIA and Happy Holidays! Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 21st 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

No, you're not asking too much. Right after Hurricane Katrina, we were
hunting for that sort of batting because the babies didn't need warm covers
as much as they needed a soft place to simply 'be'. The nicest affordable
high loft we found was Cloud-Loft by Hobbs. It is 5/8" thick and quite
durable. I'm told the Hawaiian quilters love it because it certainly would
make quilting very visible - not something I'm likely to undertake in this
lifetime. If you don't have an LQS, Batt-Mart manages to supply nearly
every reasonably priced batting.
Do remember to set your SM stitches per inch down shorter when piecing -
it sounds like your quilt is going to need to be sturdy. Polly

Old December 21st 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:42:58 -0700, "Lobo"
wrote:

Criminey! it's disgusting the stuff that appears when I search on "quilt
batt tied"! I should've just posted here to begin with.

I'm making a quilt that's going to get washed, slept on by cats & dogs,
taken to football games, etc., so I am planning to tie it. The giftee also
likes high loft. What's the fluffiest, least likely to bunch or travel,
will stand up to washing and need minimum ties? Not asking much, am I?
; )

TIA and Happy Holidays! Lobo

Sounds like you want something that will hold up to hard wear without
much work and it doesn't quite work that way. I'd suggest a medium
loft polyester batting and machine tack every 4-5 inches apart. If
you really love the tied look you can add ties wherever you wish, or
run the tieing cord under the machine tacking threads.

Machine tacking is using a zig zag or satin stitch several times in
exactly the same spot. It is much quicker than tieing a quilt by
hand.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old December 21st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

You could always double a thinner batt... buy a king-sized batt and fold it
in half- it would be cheaper than two twin sized batts.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 22nd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

"Debra" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:42:58 -0700, "Lobo" wrote:
I'm making a quilt that's going to get washed, slept on by cats & dogs,
taken to football games, etc., so I am planning to tie it. The giftee
also

snip

Sounds like you want something that will hold up to hard wear without
much work and it doesn't quite work that way. I'd suggest a medium
loft polyester batting and machine tack every 4-5 inches apart. If
you really love the tied look you can add ties wherever you wish, or
run the tieing cord under the machine tacking threads.

You are so right! No ... I don't love the tied look. I just want to finish
the quilt quickly. Machine tacking is a great idea. Thank you!
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 24th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:41:03 -0700, "Lobo"
wrote:

You are so right! No ... I don't love the tied look. I just want to finish
the quilt quickly. Machine tacking is a great idea. Thank you!
Lobo

You're welcome.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Recommend a batt? Polly Esther Quilting 12 July 18th 07 01:41 AM
The 'fluffy' jumper Mary Fisher Yarn 2 December 29th 06 05:48 AM
Hoods with fluffy yarn Linda [email protected] Yarn 3 October 12th 06 10:43 PM
Fluffy bits after RRRipping! Pat EAXStitch Needlework 0 March 11th 05 03:36 PM
anyone know of a batting fluffy like poly QUILTKITTY Quilting 4 January 9th 04 11:20 PM