Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

Old December 21st 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sandy

Default Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

In article
,
" wrote:

* It does not have a presser foot pressure adjustment, but I think
that is also missing on the Auroras.

The Auroras (430/440) *do* have a pressure adjustment for the feet.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 21st 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

If she really wants to do a lot of machine quilting later The Janome
1600, Brother 1500, Juki TL-98 are all larger harp machines that are
not expensive. They do a good job of MQ'ing and make a good addition
for any quilter moving in that direction. She may want a Featherweight
or Janome Jem too for classes. No shortage of machines she will want in
the future if she gets really into quilting! I wonder about lugging a
computer machine around. That just doesn't seem a great idea to
me.
Taria

Julia in MN wrote:

That's true if the quilter is going to do the quilting on that machine.
If all she is going to do is piece, the smaller machine may be okay. The
larger harp area is not so important if all the quilts will be quilted
by hand or sent out for quilting. And if she wants to take the machine
to classes and retreats, the smaller machine may be perfect. I don't
think I'd want to lug a Janome 6600 to a class or retreat.

Julia in MN

Old December 21st 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sandy

Default Thanks -- Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

In article
,
wrote:

Also, Bev, I figured out RSI and FMQ but you lost me on BSR?

Don't feel bad. G The BSR is Bernina's new Bernina Stitch Regulator,
which makes free-motion quilting (FMQ) much easier, since you only worry
about where you're going, rather than also worrying about keeping the
stitches even.

It sounds as if she needs to mainly decide on whether or not she likes
the track-ball interface, and if she likes it the 1530 is the better
of these two machines. Thanks also for not mentioning actual prices,
I'll have her look here and maybe follow up. I'm already pushing the
budget at this level, and can't really go any higher right now. We
were hoping the Bernina would hold it's value, and if she really gets
into the quilting she can trade up later. I guess that's another
reason I like the used machine over the plastic 220.

So much of owning a sewing machine is personal preference, so you're
wise to see if your wife likes that track-ball interface. Some people
do, some don't. You've also brought up another advantage to the 1530
over the 220, in that it's already lost its initial "new car" value,
since it's used.

Good luck to both of you!
Old December 21st 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sandy

In article ,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Oh boy! Trading in a used sewing machine is exactly like trading cars. The
machines drop in value a huge amount the first year or so. That's why a
nearly new used machine is such a great buy- it will usually still have some
warranty and be considerably cheaper than brand new- just like trading cars.

Exactly.

Also, like trading a car, there is that ridiculous numbers game- charge more
for what's being purchased so they can give the trade-in a greater value.
This includes the 'famous' statement "if you trade it in within a year we'll
give you what you paid for it". Ridiculous! It's still a used trade-in...
they cannot resell it as new for the same price as a new machine, can they?
There's no way they can legitimately give you what you paid for it and
remain in business very long.

Actually, Leslie, the trade-up policy is a fact at most Bernina places.
I took advantage of it a couple of years ago. I'd bought my 440 in
March, and by November decided I wanted the 630. My dealer gave me
exactly what I'd paid for the 440 in credit toward the 630. My quilting
buddy in Phoenix did the same thing at her Bernina dealership -- no
problem at all trading up and getting full credit, as long as it was
within the first year.

Old December 21st 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

But, Sandy, think about it. Your trade-in is now an almost 1 yr. old USED
machine. They cannot possibly resell your trade-in for the same price you
paid for it. There HAS to be a HUGE built in profit margin on the new
machine that is traded for to offset the 'loss' in selling your trade-in at
much lower price than a brand new machine just like it.

Say you bought your machine for $3K. Then you traded it in on a sm that
sells for $5K within the year allowed for trading at full purchase price-
you would turn in your machine plus $2K cash to buy the $5K new sm, right?
They cannot possibly sell your trade-in for that $3K- what it sold for new.
Somewhere they must take the loss on your trade-in.... they'll prolly sell
it used for $2K. Where is that difference between the $3K (full purchase
price) that they allowed you towards the new machine and the $2K they can
resell your trade-in for? They certainly cannot take a $1K loss on every
trade-in. It's called an 'over-allowance' in the auto business and that is
deducted off the profit on the new one sold. And you can't do that unless
you have a large profit margin to absorb that over-allowance/loss- of $1K in
this example.

I was horrified when buying the TOL Janome included a "free" $4K sewing
table. There must be at least a $3-5K built-in profit margin on the TOL sm
to 'give away' a sewing desk that they prolly pay $2K each to buy in
quantity to turn around and 'give' it away with the TOL sm. Their $3-5
built-in profit margin would be reduced by the $2K that Janome pays for the
'free' sewing desk- therefore, the dealer would 'only' make a profit of
$1-3K on the TOL sm- reduced by the cost of the desk- just the same as an
over-allowance on a trade-in.

Everybody has to make a profit to stay in business. There's no free ride.
Wish there was.....

Old December 21st 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sandy

In article ,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

But, Sandy, think about it. Your trade-in is now an almost 1 yr. old USED
machine. They cannot possibly resell your trade-in for the same price you
paid for it. There HAS to be a HUGE built in profit margin on the new
machine that is traded for to offset the 'loss' in selling your trade-in at
much lower price than a brand new machine just like it.

I'm absolutely sure you're right, Leslie. But I'm going to have to pay
that original price, no matter what, unless I buy a used machine. When I
was buying, there were no used ones in the model I wanted, so .... At
least I *did* get all of my original purchase price towards the newer
one -- some companies have a huge mark-up and then don't give a
full-price trade in. I figure it was worth it, in my case.

Old December 21st 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
MB

My Brother 1500 is great but it only does a straight stitch. If anyone
wanted to
applique with it they would only have a straight st. available...

Old December 21st 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
MB

If the 1530 is as heavy as my Bernina930 I wouldn't advise taking it to a
class just
because of the weight. I once left the case home and brought just the
machine but
that was so darn slippery I never did that again.

wrote in message
Thanks for all the good responses so far. I also liked the "heft" of
the 1530 over the 210 and 230 they did have in the store. I hadn't
thought about having to take it to classes and stuff though.

I didn't set them side-by-side, but the harp (I'm guessing this is the
round space to the right of the needle, for rolling up stuff and
scrunching it through the machine) didn't look any bigger on the 1530
than on the 210 (which should be identical, physically, to the sold-
out 220).

Does the 1530 have a larger harp? Some responses seem to imply it
does.

Also, Bev, I figured out RSI and FMQ but you lost me on BSR?

It sounds as if she needs to mainly decide on whether or not she likes
the track-ball interface, and if she likes it the 1530 is the better
of these two machines. Thanks also for not mentioning actual prices,
I'll have her look here and maybe follow up. I'm already pushing the
budget at this level, and can't really go any higher right now. We
were hoping the Bernina would hold it's value, and if she really gets
into the quilting she can trade up later. I guess that's another
reason I like the used machine over the plastic 220.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Old December 21st 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

I was kind of thinking of adding the straight stitch quilting
type machine along with the original one that does all the
fussy stuff.
Taria

Old December 22nd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Julia in MN

Taria wrote:
I wonder about lugging a
computer machine around. That just doesn't seem a great idea to
me.

I take my Elna 6003 to retreats and classes. It's my main machine and
really all I have to take. The 6003 is computerized, though not the
fancy embroidery-type of computerization.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220 [email protected] Quilting 37 December 23rd 07 05:33 PM
Bernina 440 QE WitchyStitcher Quilting 6 January 18th 06 12:16 AM
Help, new Bernina 155 Polly Esther Quilting 9 May 12th 04 09:33 PM
Bernina 155? Polly Esther Quilting 10 May 5th 04 04:46 AM
Bernina 930 help? KCK Quilting 7 February 10th 04 02:19 PM