a 'dyeing' query

Old May 3rd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a 'dyeing' query

For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK for an
important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take it, even
using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm thinking of dyeing
the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to reply to / email me.
---

Old May 3rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 3 May 2006 13:45:31 -0500, YarnWright
spewed forth :

For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK for an
important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take it, even
using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm thinking of dyeing
the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

I've not been able to produce a true, deep black with the Createx dyes
I use. Dharma has this to say about black dye:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...A.shtmluuuuy78

Remember: black isn't hte only "formal" color!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 3rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , YarnWright
wrote:

For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK for an
important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take it, even
using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm thinking of dyeing
the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

Hello Noreen

You should not have any problems at all, since both are protein fibers. I
do think though that getting a true black dye is not all that easy. I
would not use union dyes as e.g. Rit or Dylon etc. Those are combinations
of dyes so you can dye any kind of fiber. However that makes the dye a
weaker one. Use procion MS or Ciba Dyes, or the Gaywool dyes from
Australia. or the French dyes, Lanaset There are several good mail order
outfits that carry good dyes, that you can order from. Go by the
instructions that come with the dye and make the dye extra strength, to
get a good deep balck.

Pro Chemical is one of them, http://www.prochemical.com/

and Dharma Trading is another one http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Hope this is of help

Els
Old May 3rd 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

not sure what dye you'd use for this, and it would need soaking evenly, most
home dyeing doesn't do evenly because the material gets creased or folded
when in the dyepot. So I would suggest several goes at it,

BUT if your eyes aren't up to black, maybe using a magnifying glass that
you have on a string around your neck, and it has a piece on it that rests
on your chest, so everytime you look down, you would be looking through the
mag glass.. These should be able to be purchased from those shops that sell
things for cross stitch.. well that is what I would suggest making the work
bigger to look at and thus not having to dye it... most dyes I do need
boiling to get the dye into the wool..

Perhaps others have a better solution to this, cheers...Cher

Old May 4th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well, yes, I am a natural redhead. But the ravages of time, alas, have
caused a gradual fading to more of a blonde, which I don't really like. So I
*enhance* it just a bit. g

Higs,
Katherine

YarnWright wrote:
wha????????
you mean you're NOT a natural.... ummmm, lets see if i remember....
redhead?
Noreen
who's got 'frosted' hair, to cover the natural greyfrosting that's
been steadily occurring.

YarnWright wrote:
For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK
for an important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take
it, even using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm
thinking of dyeing the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

---
avast! AV: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested: 5/3/2006 6:14:02 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested: 5/3/2006 6:15:11 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006

Old May 4th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh Katherine...I can't wait to go white.....lol I've never dyed my hair,
and am now getting little bits of grey...well quite a few streaks, and it
has gone alot lighter brown the rich dark brown it has always been...perhaps
when it goes really white I'll dye it burgundy and that'll turn it a sort of
shocking pink...and I'll wear bright purple clothes and all that...when I go
white..

higz Cher

Old May 4th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Those magnifying glasses on strings are not very handy. If you have a
well endowed bosom like me, they stand out too far so it does not focus
on your work. I think a man must of invented them. Also the string cuts
in the back of your neck, and they are inclined to tip up. That type was
my first magnifying glass and was discarded quickly.
Using small beads I have tried quite a few. I ended up with the Mag Eyes
which work very well because you can also look over the top to look in
the distance or TV. They have about 4 sets of different strength lenses.
For taking on holiday I have a pair that clips on my glasses and they
flip up out of the way but are small so do not take up much room.

The Mag- Eyes are larger since they fasten on a head band and look a bit
like something out of space. LOL
I would say Mad-Eyes every time and several of my friends have got them
and agree with me.
Shirley

In message ,
spinninglilac writes
[...]

Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old May 4th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sorry to follow my own post but I really do mean Mag-Eyes and not
Mad-Eyes. LOL.
I have only just got out of bed and have not put my specs on yet.
Shirley

In message , Shirley Shone
writes

natural dyeing Els van Dam Yarn 0 August 23rd 05 03:27 AM
Dyeing Silk Yarn cariadai Yarn 2 March 7th 05 04:31 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
KoolAid dye question... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 78 November 9th 03 09:36 PM