Advice for a rookie carver

Old August 29th 05, 04:17 PM
TomL

Default Advice for a rookie carver

Hello All,
I havent yet even so much as picked up a carving tool or a carving
block. I'm in the process of reading what my local library offers on
the subject of carving. My goal is some small architectural carving.
Designs in wooden table legs and/or aprons. Corbels for moldings and
fireplace surround. I'm also fascinated by wood spirits, green men,
etc. and would like to try my hand at that one day. I've enrolled in a
3 session course for beginning carvers at a local carving school and
am looking forward to my first class in the middle of September.
I do woodworking as a hobby for about 3 years now and am capable of
making tables, chairs, jewelry boxes, outdoor furniture among others.
My questions:
1) Suggested reading for a beginning carver?
2) Beginners carving tools?
3) Resources for carving tools and sharpening equipment.

Thanks for any tips or pointers you may provide.

TomL
Old August 30th 05, 01:15 AM
Wannabe

Australopithecus scobis wrote in
news
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:17:51 +0000, TomL wrote:
snip
My questions:
1) Suggested reading for a beginning carver?
2) Beginners carving tools?
3) Resources for carving tools and sharpening equipment.

Chris Pye. Google for him, and sign up for his e-newsletter. Read all

his
books. ...and cut some wood. Really.

Can't go wrong with Chris Pye.(G)
But frankly I would suggest his one book(two books now) Woodcarving,
Materials and Equipment is the book(s) to buy right off the top.
The type of carving you(TomL)talked can take you in many directions as
far as what type of carving tools to buy, best wait till you have done
your course before investing too much money in too many tools, Pye's
book will give you a good grounding on tools no matter what type of
carving you end up doing.
So get his book first...like right now.(G)
Oh and of course read it!
You are embarking on a wonderful edventure.

GJP

Old August 30th 05, 05:05 AM
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:57:28 -0500, the opaque Australopithecus scobis
clearly wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:17:51 +0000, TomL wrote:
snip
My questions:
1) Suggested reading for a beginning carver?
2) Beginners carving tools?
3) Resources for carving tools and sharpening equipment.

Chris Pye. Google for him, and sign up for his e-newsletter. Read all his
books. ...and cut some wood. Really.

He's good, but I like Dick Onians' "Essential Woodcarving Techniques"
and Mike Burton's "Architectural Carving: Techniques for Power and
Tools" better for Tom's needs. Get the pair for $20.50 used from
Amazon.

LJ--tool & book collector and rare-occasion carver.

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Old August 30th 05, 11:27 AM
TomL

Thanks to both of you. I had visited that website after doing a search
for suggestions on a basic, beginner carving tool set. Seeing that he
suggested a rather expensive Ariou set, which could only be purchased
from an overseas Etailer, I moved on. I see now that was a mistake. I
spent the better part of last evening downloading his guides and past
newsletters. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot more time on the site.
Thanks.

Old August 30th 05, 03:24 PM
Jan Egil Sjåstad

TomL wrote:
[...]

Don't buy 'beginners' carving tools. Buy quality stuff, and my
favourites are Pfeil and Auriou.

http://www.woodcarvingsupply.com/
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2263 (expensive...)

JES
Old August 30th 05, 04:08 PM
Wannabe

Jan Egil Sjåstad wrote in
:

TomL wrote:
[...]

Again I agree but first buy the book and then my choice would be Henry
Taylor's.(G)

Wannabe

Old August 31st 05, 12:29 AM
Brent Beal

"TomL" wrote in message
Try the two books by Frederick Wilbur, both are fantastic for architectural
carvings. Check out norahall.com also. Her videos are good also.
Tools.......H. Taylor, Pfeil or Flexcut.

Rick Butz's books cover the type carving in some aspects.

Old September 5th 05, 11:52 AM
Jan Egil Sjåstad

Jan Egil Sjåstad wrote:

Don't buy 'beginners' carving tools. Buy quality stuff, and my
favourites are Pfeil and Auriou.

http://www.woodcarvingsupply.com/
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2263 (expensive...)

http://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/

JES
Old September 5th 05, 09:51 PM
WillR

TomL wrote:
[...]
=20
Thanks for any tips or pointers you may provide.
=20
TomL

Lots of Books through Chipping Away and Thompsons Woodcarving, Lee=20
valley -- Plus others -- look at my links page.

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/linksbusiness.htm

Hope that helps...

I got some flexcut palm tools to start -- a little kit -- still got all=20
my fingers and no scars...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Old September 11th 05, 07:25 PM
Jan Egil Sjåstad

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...els_auriou.htm