U.S. Fiber Content Label Question

Old January 20th 04, 10:29 AM
Ward

Default U.S. Fiber Content Label Question

Hello,

I live in the U. S. and I am in the process of researching the possibility
of starting a home sewing business. The research has brought me to the Wool
and Textile Labeling Acts. I have a few questions pertaining to fiber
content labels. I hope someone in the group who is already in the business
can help.

Where do you buy just one or two fiber content labels? I see advertising in
the back of sewing magazines for labels but they are all bulk purchases.
That's OK with cleaning labels but how often will you need the exact same
fiber content label? Are you exempt from using labels if the client
supplies the fabric? Can I contact the manufacture of the fabric and have
them send me a few labels?

The Haines T-Shirt company stamps their fiber content information in the
back of their T-shirts. If I make children's clothes, I'd like to do the
same. Not on every garment since the fabric will dictate whether or not the
ink will stay. Does anyone have ink suggestions? I'm thinking I can get a
rubber stamp made up for about the same price as bulk fiber content labels.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Liz

Old January 20th 04, 03:56 PM
Penny S

Ward scribbled on a scrap of paper:
[...]

you should get the book, The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product
Manufacturing" by Kathleen Fasanella, which is on eBay right now, see the
may have, or haven't thought of. In addition, it will save you from making
expensive and stupid mistakes that are common to home sewing/small designer
businesses.

Penny S

Old January 20th 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:29:32 -0500, Ward wrote:
I live in the U. S. and I am in the process of researching the possibility
of starting a home sewing business. The research has brought me to the Wool
and Textile Labeling Acts. I have a few questions pertaining to fiber
content labels. I hope someone in the group who is already in the business
can help.

I'm not quite sure of what you're going to be doing, but I think you're
considering making custom clothes for individuals, as opposed to mass
producing clothes for sale in a shop or craft show, or such. Is that
true?

Also, you might want to know about an email list devoted to folks who
have sewing businesses. Go to:
http://www.quiltropolis.net/maillist...catid=Business
to join. Helpful folks there.

Kay Lancaster

Old January 20th 04, 11:55 PM
Ward

Hi Penny,

Thanks for your help. I did read that thread and I have the book on my list
to buy. Been doing a lot of reading these days. I just finished "The
Business of Sewing, volume 1" and I'm into "Marketing Your Sewing Business"
both by Barbara Wright Sykes. Very helpful books.

Liz

"Penny S" wrote in message
[...]

you

Old January 20th 04, 11:58 PM
Ward

Thank you Kay for your help. Yes, it's going to be garment sewing. I have
some more reading to do before I sign up with the email group. I checked
the web page and they advise you can receive up to 100 messages. That's a
bit much right now, but I did bookmark the site.

Liz

Old January 21st 04, 12:10 AM
Penny S

Ward scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Hi Penny,

Thanks for your help. I did read that thread and I have the book on
my list to buy. Been doing a lot of reading these days. I just
finished "The Business of Sewing, volume 1" and I'm into "Marketing
Your Sewing Business" both by Barbara Wright Sykes. Very helpful
books.

Liz

you should get now while the ebay sale is on, it retails for almost $50.

"Penny S" wrote in message
[...]

see the current thread in this NG. It will answer these and many
other questions you may have, or haven't thought of. In addition, it

Old January 21st 04, 12:21 AM
Penny S

Ward scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Thank you Kay for your help. Yes, it's going to be garment sewing.
I have some more reading to do before I sign up with the email group.
I checked the web page and they advise you can receive up to 100
messages. That's a bit much right now, but I did bookmark the site.

Liz

You can get it in digest form, which is one mail a day. Having been a
subscriber Sewvbiz for years, it's not too much mail, more like 10 messages
on average in a day. The wealth of resources and support if great. It's
free too. Nothing like people sharing what they learned, and the mistakes
they've made, so that YOU don't have to make them.

Penny s

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old January 21st 04, 05:23 AM
Kitty Fluff

I just read on the web one lady who uses address label stickers. Sh
orders the cheapest ones....they allow for four lines....so she had the
list the fiber content......instead of an address. She puts the sticke
on the back of her business card and attaches it to her garments. Hop
this is helpful and complies with the regulations

BeckyInSeattl

-
Kitty Fluf

Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old January 21st 04, 01:01 PM
Kitty Fluff

I can't find: "The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing" listed on eBay. Does anyone know the auction number for this. Thanks much!

BeckyInSeattl

-
Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old January 21st 04, 04:30 PM
Penny S

Kitty Fluff wrote:
I just read on the web one lady who uses address label stickers. She
orders the cheapest ones....they allow for four lines....so she had
them list the fiber content......instead of an address. She puts the
sticker on the back of her business card and attaches it to her
garments. Hope this is helpful and complies with the regulations.

BeckyInSeattle

this is just my 2¢. but that sound extremely unprofessional to me. My
opionion that you should be willing to spend at least a little bit to
present your product in a manner that elevates you above "homemade" or
"craft show".

http://www.generallabel.com/html/care.html

you can get 50 labels of some sort for less than four bucks. Isn't looking
professional worth at least that?

This company looks very reasonalbe even for thier custom labels. And dont'
forget it's a business expense.

Penny

OT - fiber content labels in clothing Julia Altshuler Quilting 21 October 14th 04 08:20 PM
AD: New Fiber Sets, Cat & Dog Page Sets & Lots more Spot Rubberstamps 0 February 1st 04 07:33 PM
AD: New Fiber Sets & Valentine Kits Spot Rubberstamps 0 January 31st 04 09:35 PM
Determining fiber content Ann Quilting 6 October 27th 03 01:53 PM
Hopefully a unique Quilt label question Dr. Quilter Quilting 0 July 11th 03 05:33 AM