Source for Colored Canvas

Old January 18th 04, 03:46 AM
d.f. dogg

Default Source for Colored Canvas

Greetings:

I am looking for a source for colored canvas in a teal or light blue.
I am going to sew some seat cushions and pillow covers for the wicker
furniture in a caribbean beach house. I have only been able to find
canvas in black, natural, and red.

Thanks.

/r
Japhy
St. Croix
Old January 18th 04, 04:06 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

Some suggestions for your search: search also for "duck" cloth, it is also
used for outdoor cushions. Duck and canvas are both made of cotton, so you
might also be able to dye the white fabric to whatever color you want.

om...

Old January 18th 04, 10:00 AM
Sally Holmes

d.f. dogg wrote:
Greetings:

I am looking for a source for colored canvas in a teal or light blue.
I am going to sew some seat cushions and pillow covers for the wicker
furniture in a caribbean beach house. I have only been able to find
canvas in black, natural, and red.

If we help, do we get to come and stay in the house? :-)

You could dye natural cotton canvas using Procion MX dyes. You can buy them
from Dharma Trading, www.dharmatrading.com. The dyes you need are he
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3796-AA.shtml and there are
instructions here http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/vat_dye.html.

If the fabrics will be exposed to the sun you need to be aware that some
dyes have better lightfastness than others. You can see lightfastness of
some at Paula Burch's site here
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/lig...s.shtml#tables and you can see
which names Dharma and others give to the dyes here
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/pureMXcolors.shtml

HTH

Sally

Old January 18th 04, 10:44 AM
Ev Dugan

For 100% acrylic fabric, resistant to fading and UV breakdown, look at
Sunbrella. It comes in several blues:
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/marine.html

Old January 18th 04, 12:48 PM
mamahays

"d.f. dogg" wrote in message
om...
Greetings:

I am looking for a source for colored canvas in a teal or light blue.
I am going to sew some seat cushions and pillow covers for the wicker
furniture in a caribbean beach house. I have only been able to find
canvas in black, natural, and red.

Thanks.

/r
Japhy
St. Croix

If you have your heart set on canvas (do remember that duck or duckcloth is
just really heavy canvas) you may have to do some dying to get a teal color.
Don't worry though. White or natural colored canvas/duck will take dye
wonderfully well. I usually only find it in the colors you mentioned, very
basic colors. I think there must not be a real demand for large quantities
of other colors, so they just don't sell it in a wide range of colors.
If you are not up to dying your yardage, think about fabric paints. It
will take those just as well.

I will second the suggestion about Sunbrella though. It would last longer
and wear better than duck out in the elements all the time. Here's another
source for that:

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat15.htm

And you should know that sunbrella looks like canvas, at least the stuff I
have seen does.

HTH

Sharon
--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old January 18th 04, 02:44 PM
Marian Hertendy

I get my coloured canvas from the fabric shop here in town they have a good
selection
Marian

---

Old January 20th 04, 08:37 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Canvas dyes quite well. For teal, you would need to almost double the
amount of dye you might usually use. If you don't have a good source of
fabric dyes in your area, try contacting Dharma trading. (They ship almost
anywhe I have used them in the past and been quite happy - they are based
in the United States and I live in Northwestern British Columbia.)
Cynthia
m...