where to start????

Old March 4th 04, 05:18 AM
Debbie Williamson

Default where to start????

Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get
Thank you Debbie
Cochranville Pa.

Old March 4th 04, 05:42 AM
Mary in Oregon

Welcome, Debbie. The best place to start is with something easy.... the
more experienced quilters will give you specific tips. My suggestions is to
read, read, read, practice, practice, practice and don't be afraid of making
mistakes.

--
Mary

Old March 4th 04, 05:56 AM
Natalie

Hi Debbie

I'm a pretty new quilter (less than one year) and here is my advice:

Pick a small project, a pillow, a crib quilt, wall hanging.
Go to a fabric store, buy one fabric you love.
Pick a pattern. Pick out the other fabrics to go with the one you love
and your pattern.
Start sewing.

Don't worry about making your corners match. If you approaching cutting
and sewing and measuring with precision, it will just happen to you. If
you don't approach it with precision, than making perfect corners
probably isn't why you want to be a quilter and your work will still be
very much loved and admired. (It will also get better the more you
practice!)

Have fun! looking forward to hearing all about it!

NS

Old March 4th 04, 12:23 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Welcome, Debbie!

Natalie is right, IMNSHO. By picking out a small, simple project with clear
instructions, and by measuring and cutting as carefully as you can, you'll
do just fine. I've done two quilts that I machine-pieced and then
hand-quilted. It's a good way to go, as the most relaxing part of the
project is the hand quilting.

We're all looking forward to hearing more about your quilting, your stash,
and what kind of chocolate you enjoy.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old March 4th 04, 09:19 AM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Debbie!
Take a deep breath, relax. It will work fine! You'll be a pro in no time.
Which basic quilting book do you have? Most of them have a simple beginner
project. Go to your local quilt store, show them your book, and they'll
probably be delighted to advise you. Or maybe they have some kind of
suitable kit to get you started.
Roberta in D

Old March 4th 04, 08:42 AM
Patti

Hullo Debbie
Is there any chance that you could get to a class? perhaps run by a
local quilt shop? Even if you don't do many - even just one - it would
take the edge off that 'jumping in' fright! You wouldn't need to commit
yourself to a long series of classes, but, if you don't have a friend
who can give you a helping hand for the first few cuts etc, a class is a
help..
However, you do have us! So, if you have no chance of a class, then
look for a pattern in a book which is labelled for beginners. Look
through your books and start with one where the instructions are
straightforward. Try to stick to patterns with squares and/or
rectangles at first. Don't buy expensive fabric until you have a little
experience of cutting (the sewing is often easier than the cutting).
Look again at your sewing machine manual, and look at it with the eyes
of a quilter. See what features it has that you might not have thought
important before eg a quarter inch foot? or facility for moving the
needle to left or right; can the feed dogs be lowered or covered? do
you have a setting which will enable you to have the needle come to a
stop in a 'down' position?
Once you have made a start; and finished some small thing like a place
mat or a cushion, you will have the confidence to go for something
bigger and more adventurous.

Machine piecing with hand quilting is just fine. You will find that
lots of people do that.

Good luck. You'll have great fun - but you have to start! Let us know
how you get on?
..
In article , Debbie
Williamson writes
Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get
Thank you Debbie
Cochranville Pa.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 4th 04, 12:37 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Patti

...... Try to stick to patterns with squares and/or
rectangles at first. Don't buy expensive fabric until you have a little
experience of cutting (the sewing is often easier than the cutting). ........

To add to what Patti has written -- unless you have a lot of general sewing
experience DO NOT try anything with a bias or diagonal cut when you first start
out. It is tricky dealing with those types of pieces as they tend to get wonky
just looking at them :-)! Anything with a straign cut is good -- 4 patch or 9
patch being some of the easiest.
As for the fabric, again, DO NOT try to work with slithery stuff right away!
Many newbies to quilting who have done some regular sewing often have some of
this in their stash and want to use it up to "practice" on. Don't do it
because it is difficult to deal with. Your best bet is to go with 100% cotton
of a decent quality. It doesn't have to be really expensive when you are just
learning. OTOH, you don't want junky fabric because it won't behave well or
take a nice crease when you go to press your seams.
As others have said, practice, practice, practice!!! The more you do the
better you get. Classes are great too. DO NOT expect your first efforts to be
terribly precise -- you are a beginner and it's to be expected that you won't
be perfect. That's the whole purpose of *learning*.
Try putting together a small quilt top -- maybe 24" square. Then practice
making a quilt sandwich and quilting it. Do you have a kitty or other small
pet? Well, that practice quilt top with it's mis-matched seams, wonky
quilting, etc. will be just perfect for a pet's bed. You get some practice and
the pet gets a new bed cover! If you don't have a pet, then send the piece to
Jill (
http://community-2.webtv.net/critter...itterComforts/ ) who
makes quilts for homeless shelter animals!
Just remember, no matter HOW wonky a finished quilt might be, there is
always someone to love it! Good luck with your learning -- you'll have a great
time I am sure. OH, Debbie -- you forgot to mention a few things! What type
of chocolate do you prefer? Do you have any QI's( Quilt Inspectors of the pet
persuasion)? What part of the world do you live in? CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old March 4th 04, 12:41 PM
Julia Altshuler

Debbie Williamson wrote:
Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get.

How do you best learn anything new? Do you learn well from books? Are
you better with an instructor? Do you find videos helpful? Everyone's
answer will be different. Take what worked in the past and do it again.
Me, I took beginner quilt classes at a privately owned local quilt
store (LQS) and was highly satisfied with the advice and instruction.

Machine piecing and hand quilting is a common combination that many do.
That will work.

If you've tried cutting and are having a specific problem, describe what
you're doing and what's going wrong. We'll try to help. If the problem
is that you're just worried, the best advice is to dive in and try.

--Lia

Old March 4th 04, 09:34 PM
MJ

Take classes from your local quilt store --- or sometimes they are
offered through a city recreation department or community college.

Join a guild.

Watch Simply Quilts on HGTV or DIY.

Midge