Need help weaving in ends

Old December 16th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Starla Torres

Default Need help weaving in ends

Every time I weave in the yarn ends, they seem to work their way loose and I
end up with all these loose ends popping out everwhere. Usually after I
wash an item for the first time. What am I doing wrong? I weave them in
one way and then back again plus try splitting the yarn. If they are on the
end of an afghan, I crochet over them but they still work loose. Plus you
end up with a wad of different color yarns under your border, which is not
very pretty. Any suggestions?

Old December 17th 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Dec 16, 11:45*pm, "starla torres" wrote:
Every time I weave in the yarn ends, they seem to work their way loose and I
end up with all these loose ends popping out everwhere. *Usually after I
wash an item for the first time. *What am I doing wrong? *I weave them in
one way and then back again plus try splitting the yarn. *If they are on the
end of an afghan, I crochet over them but they still work loose. *Plus you
end up with a wad of different color yarns under your border, which is not
very pretty. *Any suggestions?

Starla ,
I didn`t understand if you speak about a Woven cloth or a knitted/
crocheted cloth [where finishing a thread is also called weaving
in]..
If you speak about a real weave [on loom or frame]. You should
start a new thread always at the end [=edge] of the new row, leave
7-10 cm hanging, beat weft in , throw in next thread, now that you
returned to starting edge , take the `tail` you left and weave it in
with the next beat , if the thread is very thick you can thin it
gradually.

If you speak about knitting or crochet , When putting in a new thread
Knit /crochet with both End of former thread and Start of new threads
over at least 5 stitches ,,, than when you finnish the work you might
slip any left over in any direction ...

Ps if you work with synthetics it might be a bit more slipy
mirjam
Old December 24th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Rick[_3_]

On Dec 16, 4:45*pm, "starla torres" wrote:
Every time I weave in the yarn ends, they seem to work their way loose and I
end up with all these loose ends popping out everwhere. *Usually after I
wash an item for the first time. *What am I doing wrong? *I weave them in
one way and then back again plus try splitting the yarn. *If they are on the
end of an afghan, I crochet over them but they still work loose. *Plus you
end up with a wad of different color yarns under your border, which is not
very pretty. *Any suggestions?

Starla,

If you are working with really short pieces of yarn, you may have to
rethink the process. Generally, when I crochet and I have to start a
new skein, I put a small square knot int he scarf or shawl or whatever
I'm making. If you can keep the knot very small, it is harly
noticable. However, if leaving a knot in your product does not appeal
to you, try using a longer leader piece of yarn maybe a little longer
then the width of your hand for example. By overlapping the two
pieces of yarn, the tension should keep everything together.

Good luck!

Happy Holidays,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com

weaving weaving still some cm to go [email protected] Yarn 1 July 14th 08 03:22 PM
Weaving FarmI Yarn 5 November 4th 07 11:03 AM
Weaving in ends on chenile scarf KinakoMochi Yarn 1 February 6th 04 10:21 AM
Rug Weaving? ohkwari Yarn 3 September 14th 03 07:42 AM
Lacy work -- weaving in ends? Nancy Pannebaker Yarn 0 July 12th 03 02:36 AM