backing fabric

Old October 6th 05, 11:08 PM
Morag in Detroit

Default backing fabric

I need some clarification here, please. I have some 108" backing
fabric which is really pretty. I'd like to use some of it to piece the
top of my quilt. Is that an OK thing to do? I'm not worried about
quilt police but I don't want to mess up a nice top with a "wrong"
fabric.

All advice welcome. Thanks.

Morag in Detroit

Old October 6th 05, 11:37 PM
Polly Esther

You just go right ahead. The only thing different is the special width -
made so that you don't have to piece the back of a quilt. I keep my backing
fabrics out of my sight so I'm not tempted to take a plug out of one when
something else would be just fine. Okay. I'm sitting here changing my mind
in mid-sentence. If your piece of backing is big enough to back a quilt,
don't use it for quilt top pieces. It would disturb me. We don't want me
to be disturbed. There. I wasn't any help at all except I'm hoping you just
have a yard or so of the 108" stuff and then it will be okay with me if you
use it on the top. Polly

ups.com...

Old October 6th 05, 11:40 PM
Donna in Idaho

It's regular quilting fabric, just made bigger for big quilts so you don't
have to piece your backing.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 6th 05, 11:56 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

"Morag in Detroit" wrote:

I need some clarification here, please. I have some 108" backing
fabric which is really pretty. I'd like to use some of it to piece the
top of my quilt. Is that an OK thing to do? I'm not worried about
quilt police but I don't want to mess up a nice top with a "wrong"
fabric.

All advice welcome. Thanks.

Morag in Detroit

Absolutely! It is called backing fabric because it is so wide and
might eliminate some seams there. If you like it for your quilt
top--use it.

Mary
Old October 7th 05, 12:24 AM
Cheryl

You won't mess anything up - but just a tiny caution.

Many of the wide fabrics sold as backing are a more open weave than "normal"
quilting fabrics, and the threads have a lower twist. They can tend to
stretch a bit with handling, and are a tad more prone to shrinkage. So if
you want long borders or sashings try to cut them on the length rather than
across.
--
Cheryl

Old October 7th 05, 07:11 AM
Morag in Detroit

Thank you, everyone. It's such a relief to know that someone here will
always have the answer.

Cheryl, I'm going to check the weave again but I think it's fairly
tight.

Polly, did you see the story about the python that swallowed a gator
then exploded? Weird.
If I do use the backing fabric, I won't tell you. don't want you to be
"disturbed".

Donna and Mary, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Morag in Detroit

Old October 7th 05, 03:35 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

- unless it's sheeting - you shouldn't have anything to worry about - other
than thread count. You can see and feel the difference.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 7th 05, 04:42 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
disturbed:
Too late, Polly.
And I don't think it had much to do w/ the quilt fabric,
front or back. VBG

Good luck, Morag!

Ragmop/Sandy

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Fabric Shopping in Paris Natalie Quilting 9 October 13th 04 05:59 PM
I pick fabric for first quilt! DJDREVNA Quilting 13 September 18th 04 04:24 AM
Fabric collections for sale on Ebay Kristi M. Sewing 17 February 21st 04 05:34 PM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM