OT--Sauerbraten ?

Old October 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

I made czarnina just once. Duck blood soup just doesn't do it for me
and it was a hideous gray color. It also had prunes in it. Ugh!

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
My husband loved Czarina (pronounced Cha - neen - ah) served over spaetzle
like noodles - but he called it something else - can't remember now. The
Polish must have a different name for it.

Old October 7th 05, 05:24 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I am supposed to go back in for Onco checkups but I don't. I don't want to
know. I'm 8 years out from original diagnosis and I'm doing fine without
knowing. I've got my hands full with the polymyositis. I'm pretty much
housebound with my impaired immune system so I sure don't need anymore bad
news and firmly believe in no news is good news. I put myself in my
Creator's hands. When it's my time to go - I will go - an not one minute
sooner. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
My mom was one of those whose cancer didn't kill her, the chemotherapy
did. That said, I've worked for cancer treatment centers for 22 years and
have seen some remarkable recoveries as well as everything in between.
I'm now 67 and have had a basal cell removed from above my right eyebrow,
no further surgery or treatment, but that side of my face still feels
"funny". My husband said they may have nicked a nerve or something, but
it isn't bad enough for me to go back.

I have no signs of any cancer anywhere now, so I'm thinking my pulmonary
fibrosis will get me before any cancer can get settled in to do its dirty
work. Statistics say three to four more years. I say statistics aren't
God.

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Well - that's fine for him but I know where the girl is coming from.
Chemotherapy can kill all by itself and makes you feel worse than the
cancer. My breast cancer was "silent" and there was no pain. The
fatigue is like nothing you have ever experienced before. The
chemotherapy has left me with permanently scarred veins, painful
neuropathy in my feet and hands, and an injured heart. Chemotherapy is
induced into the circulatory system and everywhere you have blood flow it
effects in various ways - none are good - other than killing BC cells.
My oncologist said that treatment is a fine line between killing the
patient and killing the cancer. He came very close to killing me with my
last of 4 doses of Adriamycin (lifetime limit). It totally wiped out my
immune system and I came down with a virus that quickly became bilateral
pneumonia. I was in ICU for a month and I believe that only the miracle
of prayer pulled me thru. My priest was called and I was given last
rites and my family was told that the doctors had done all they could do.
They didn't expect me to make it thru the next 24 hours. Chemotherapy did
that to me - not the cancer. I will NEVER do chemotherapy EVER AGAIN!.
I pray the BC never returns - but if it does then it will just have to
run it's course. I would never be presumptious enough to advise someone
else to do it my way but it was exactly this treatment side effect that
caused my decision to refuse the radiation therapy. It was like pulling
hens teeth but the doctor finally admitted that they couldn't gurantee
that the treatment wouldn't burn lung, heart, liver and esophageal
tissue. I have known several people who have underwent radiation therapy
only to have esophageal cancer due to the damage done by treatment.

Old October 7th 05, 05:36 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I'm with you GF!! Although, I never saw it gray - all I saw was a very dark
brown broth. Once I found out how it was made I knew that stuff would never
pass my lips. But DH loved it and would eat tons of it every time we went
to the Polsky Days festival in Pulaskifield, MO every year. He has paternal
relatives from that area. His mother's polish ancestors came from Kansas
City, KS. Can you imagine the country farming polish boy marrying the city
polish girl? They had 2 boys and when DH's father went away to WWII his
mother went to work in the bakery where his father worked before the war.
After the war was over his father came home with a drinking problem and was
violent - she forgave him 1x and the next time he did it she kicked him
out - never allowed him to return. She worked at the bakery until she
retired. DHs father civily divorced her but she never remarried. Polish
catholic women in those days didn't believe in divorce. She was quite a
lady and ahead of her time in regards to emancipation. She learned during
the war that she could support herself and her sons and knew she didn't have
to take any abuse in order to provide for her family. My DH worshipped her
and was proud to say he was a "momma's boy". He liked strong women because
of how she defined womanhood for him.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 7th 05, 09:00 PM
Bonnie Patterson

My neighbors called it "Cht-nee-na", duck soup and to make it right
you have to start with a live duck because duck blood is an important
ingredient. My paternal grandmother and ex's parents were 1st
generation American, their parents were Polish. Both families had a
lot of feather comforters/ticks/beds, they ate a lot of duck soup!

Old October 7th 05, 09:29 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Sorry, that is "chi-nee-na".

My fingers couldn't see what my brain was thinking!