OT--Sauerbraten ?

Old October 6th 05, 12:26 AM

I searched on Google for "german potato dumplings" and found
Kartoffelklosse. The recipe at the following site described putting
various things in the middle of them. It does not mention salt pork,
but I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for.

Bev in TX

D Curtis wrote:
.... portion snipped
Mom made sauerbraten that was
heavenly, and her parents came to WI from CN solely to make us some
potato dumplings that in hindsight were delicious but at the time we
kids turned our noses up at. Would anyone know this dumpling and how to
make it if I told you it was made with grated potatos and a piece of
*raw* salt pork was tucked inside? It was boiled and then served with
melted butter on it. They were heavier than sin.

Old October 6th 05, 02:36 AM
Tina

Diana - here's one from my grandmas cookbook....

Mandelkraenzchen (Almond Cookies)

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, beaten
4 cups flour
1 egg white
mixture of 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp.
cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add yolks, then flour to make a stiff dough.
Roll out thin on floured board. Cut with doughnut cutter. Place
cookie rings on greased cookie sheet; place small circles on a seperate
cookie sheet. Brush with egg white adn sprinkle with almonds, sugar
and cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F. 12 to 15 minutes until
golden brown.

Tina

Old October 6th 05, 03:14 AM
D Curtis

Mmmm I can almost smell them baking now. Its one I shall try this
Christmas for sure! At least we know can see that mandel means almond
in Swedish. Thanks Tina!
Di

Old October 6th 05, 04:48 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Krepkokker? My husband's parents were both born in Sweden. The first
time he took me home to meet his family, this dish was served. I looked
at it, then I looked at my husband to be, and just "knew" I was going to
embarrass him because, frankly, they looked like Brillo pads (well,
almost). Besides the salt pork, his mother also added something else;
can't remember if it was cloves or nutmeg. They are so good, but I'm
the only non-Swede in the family who eats them. They're great with
ligonberries on top of the butter.

I've made the skorpor with cardamom for my oldest son because I shared
some with him that we had gotten from my mother-in-law. Don't make it
often because it takes too many steps, but he still asks for it every
once in awhile. This one is a sweet yeast bread that is baked, cut into
slices, then strips, and dried in the oven with the heat turned off and
the door ajar.

D Curtis wrote:
All this talk of sauerbraten started me thinking again about the foods
my mom made. Her parents and grandparents came from Sweden. She and they
made some wonderful dishes for us. Mom made sauerbraten that was
heavenly, and her parents came to WI from CN solely to make us some
potato dumplings that in hindsight were delicious but at the time we
kids turned our noses up at. Would anyone know this dumpling and how to
make it if I told you it was made with grated potatos and a piece of
*raw* salt pork was tucked inside? It was boiled and then served with
melted butter on it. They were heavier than sin.
The other thing Mom made that I havent been able to recreate even with
her recipe is Mandelskarpe. I think that is how it is spelled, tho in
doing a little poking around the net I believe Mom spelled it
phonetically. It is an almond cookie. The recipe says to bake it in a
long flat loaf, then cut it and dry quickly (sort of like a rusk?) but
mine takes a long time to bake initially, much longer than its supposed
to and the bottom burns. Then the second drying process is described
very vaguely. If I could make this cookie correctly I would savor it
dunked in coffee every day, and thank the recipe fixer in my mind as I ate.
Diana
PS, Mom served her sauerbraten with mashed potatoes, the sauce from the
'braten was full of carrots and onions and rich with gingersnaps. Mmmmmm

Toni Schneidt wrote:

Has anyone ever made Sauerbraten? I am making it for this weekend, and
need to know what to serve with it. I still need to get the juniper
berries........
Toni

Old October 6th 05, 01:19 PM
D Curtis

YES!!! its Krepkokker! And Mandel skorper is the right name too! Thank
you! (now I know I am remembering things right if you know of it too. It
was a lengthy process as I remember and for the effort they got fist
sized heavy *things*, but time has changed the memory of them and now
they sound heavenly for a cold day's meal. Soooo.. what time will dinner
be?
Diana

Old October 6th 05, 02:17 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

This was one of my husband's favorite foods and they used to have
contests to see who could eat the most (holidays only since they took so
long to make). Now, alas, in an effort to preserve what kidney function
he has left, he can no longer eat potatoes in any form unless they have
been soaked overnight in 5x the amount of water as there is potato,
drained, rinsed, and then cooked in 5x as much water as there is potato.
But they were soooooo good.

Old October 6th 05, 02:26 PM
D Curtis

For some reason kidney function seems more important than potato
dumplings. I wonder if my Mom missed them when she lost her kidney
function. I didnt even realize at that time she had to be careful about
them.
Diana

Old October 6th 05, 04:41 PM
Listpig

Pig is a firm believer in spaetzle as a side dish to anything German.

Of course, Pig is a firm believer in spaetzle, regardless of what it's with.
Spaetzle as a side dish to burgers would work for me. g

--pig