OT--Sauerbraten ?

Old October 5th 05, 05:44 PM
Toni Schneidt

Default OT--Sauerbraten ?

Has anyone ever made Sauerbraten? I am making it for this weekend, and need
to know what to serve with it. I still need to get the juniper
berries........
Toni

Old October 5th 05, 05:52 PM
WitchyStitcher

I love sauerbraten but the process of making it seems daunting, so I
order it when I eat out at my local German restaurant.

They serve it with kartuffles (sp?) (potato dumplings) and pickled red
cabbage

Old October 5th 05, 06:17 PM
Barbara

I would serve it with mashed potatoes!
Barbara, a Swiss living in London/U.K.

Old October 5th 05, 06:50 PM
Toni Schneidt

I actually got the recipe from The Food Network's show, Good Eats. Here is
the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31740,00.html
I am starting it tomorrow, so we can eat it on Sunday. I will let you all
know how it was!
Toni

Old October 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Tina

mmmmmm yummy! I have all my grandmas old German cookbooks! Let me
know if I can send you anything.

Around here, when we have sauerbraten or bratwurst, I make soured
cabbage with grandmas recipe. I do it in the crockpot and just let it
cook all day and it is scrumptious. I also use the tart apples in it.

Then we usually have baked apples with it for dessert!

I also make grandmas Hot German potato salad sometimes. mmmm makes me
hungry just thinking about it.

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Toni Schneidt

Thanks for the offer, Tina! Watch out, I may take you up on it! LOL As you
can probably tell from my last name, Schneidt, my DH's family has German
roots. That may explain his obsession with brats and braunschwager (sp?)! I
like them too, don't get me wrong!! This is just something we saw Alton
Brown, the host of Good Eats, making, and it look great! We have watched
this show since it started, and make a lot of what he showcases. W ehave yet
found something we (a) didn't like and (b) was not too hard.
Toni

Old October 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Anne in CA

I make it about once a month or so, from my MILs recipe, that she got
from *her* MIL who brought it over from Germany :-) I serve it with
potato pancakes and red cabbage (Kartoffelpfannkuchen und roter Kohl).

Your recipe seems more like Bavarian style -- sweeter than what I make.
My recipe has no juniper berries, sugar or ginger snaps but uses whole
peppercorns and whole cloves. I thicken the gravy with flour. Yours is
also way more complicated than the one I use; I think if MILs recipe
were as complicated as yours, my poor DH would only get sauerbraten in
restaurants!

There seem to be as many regional variations for sauerbraten as there
are for pot roast ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old October 5th 05, 08:53 PM
D Curtis

All this talk of sauerbraten started me thinking again about the foods
my mom made. Her parents and grandparents came from Sweden. She and they
made some wonderful dishes for us. Mom made sauerbraten that was
heavenly, and her parents came to WI from CN solely to make us some
potato dumplings that in hindsight were delicious but at the time we
kids turned our noses up at. Would anyone know this dumpling and how to
make it if I told you it was made with grated potatos and a piece of
*raw* salt pork was tucked inside? It was boiled and then served with
melted butter on it. They were heavier than sin.
The other thing Mom made that I havent been able to recreate even
with her recipe is Mandelskarpe. I think that is how it is spelled, tho
in doing a little poking around the net I believe Mom spelled it
phonetically. It is an almond cookie. The recipe says to bake it in a
long flat loaf, then cut it and dry quickly (sort of like a rusk?) but
mine takes a long time to bake initially, much longer than its supposed
to and the bottom burns. Then the second drying process is described
very vaguely. If I could make this cookie correctly I would savor it
dunked in coffee every day, and thank the recipe fixer in my mind as I ate.
Diana
PS, Mom served her sauerbraten with mashed potatoes, the sauce from the
'braten was full of carrots and onions and rich with gingersnaps. Mmmmmm

Old October 5th 05, 08:59 PM
Sandy Foster

In article mnU0f.6977$BU1.5078@trnddc06,
"Toni Schneidt" wrote:

I actually got the recipe from The Food Network's show, Good Eats. Here is
the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31740,00.html
I am starting it tomorrow, so we can eat it on Sunday. I will let you all
know how it was!
Toni

Mmmmm -- yum! That sounds similar to the recipe I have (and don't make
very often g). I serve it over noodles and alongside a salad (not very
German, I'm afraid).
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 6th 05, 12:18 AM

Try searching for Mandelskorpor -- there are dozens of links.

Bev in TX

.... portion snipped