Thimbles

Old October 3rd 05, 03:26 PM
Dannielle

It depends on what kind of fabric I am working on, but I do love my leather
thimble, no metal discs or anything in it, just an open spot at the top for
my fingernail to go through if it's long. If I am working on easy fabric
(usually cross stitch or other types of handstitching) I opt for a band-aid
type bandage with the pad of the bandage right where the needle hits my
finger.

And each type of stitching I do hits my fingers differently, sewing usually
hits my middle finger but other stitching hits my ring finger....

I know, I'm weird.

Dannielle

"Patti S" wrote in message
I need some thimble recommendations. I love doing hand work, and am
actually working on a project right now that uses lots of blanket
stitching. Trouble is, my finger gets so sore that I have to quit. I
bought one of those fancy, custom made silver thimbles a while ago, but
(even though it's custom made), it's just too clunky. Then I tried one
of the leather ones that has the metal "coin dot" in the center, and
that was way too awkward. Do any of you use a thimble? What kind? And
who is the vendor? Thanks........

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old October 3rd 05, 03:56 PM
Betsy Ross

Just tried and love "Thimble-It" which
is a package of 64 self-adhesive finger
pags. They stay where put for hours; I
go shopping and running errands with one
so I can go back to handsewing. They
are the size of a press-on nail and you
can place them wherever you like. Use
them to protect a finger or use them for
gripping. They are soft and flexible.
I have been putting them over the area
on my middle finger that has the most
recent skin damage. No pain.

Old October 3rd 05, 04:37 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

There is also a new "Comfort Thimble" that is nice - looks big and clumsy
but actually very comfy to wear. I will look for a link.

Are they better than the old Comfort Thimble? One of the shops where I
teach hand quilting carried them. Without fail, after practicing a bit
the student would yelp in frustration as the needle stuck into the soft
thimble and they pulled out their stitches.

I'm with Danielle, it depends on what kind of sewing I am doing and the
phase of the moon and the weather and my mood......

Usually I quilt with a traditionally shaped brass thimble. But
sometimes I use the roxanne thimble or the leather one or the new clover
one which is like the roxanne but only $10 and much lighter and
adjustable.

But for plain old sewing I hold the needle differently and push if
through the fabric differently so then I either skip the thimble until I
am sore or use a bandaid or stick the leather thimble on a different
finger.

Worst come to worst I figure out a way to do the sewing by machine :-)

marcella
Old October 3rd 05, 05:03 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I love my brass one with the astrology signs around the base and the lip
that holds my needle when I make the rocking motion quilting. This may be
the clunky one you are discribing.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 3rd 05, 07:21 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Try also:
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...iProductID=642
and:
http://www.ezquilt.com/products/need...assthimble.htm

I've been using one similar to this for 2 yrs, saving my porcelain favorites
for another year. The important thing for me w/ a thimble is
that it fit on my fingertip which is not cone-shaped but rather
squared&rounded. I use a piece of rolled masking tape inside
the thimbles for skinny finger days. ;-)
Wear it; forget about it and answer the door and have the kid standing
there trying to sell school fundraiser stuff ask, "umm--what happened to
your fingers?" so you can explain about thimbles, finger cots, and
quilting. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy

"Patti S" wrote in message
Thank you all for the links / advice. I'm going to try Tina's "painters
tape" trick and also the ones that Cheryl provided a link for look
interesting - not so big and cumbersome. I think I just need to give
whatever I try some time - getting used to the darn things is rather
difficult, but I really hate sore fingers!

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old October 3rd 05, 07:40 PM
ann

I LOVE these thimbles!!!!!! I buy a new one nearly everytime I go to a
fabric shop so that I have one in every room, and in every sewing kit I
own! I have to have a thimble and these plastic ones are the only ones
that I have ever used that do not feel like I'm wearing anything! I
have nails so it works with them and I even forget I'm wearing them and
go and cook dinner or go out still wearing one!

They are not expensive and wear like iron. And the dimples are deep
enough to hold the needle in just the right position for excellent
control. For me, there is no better thimble around. Light weight and
all!!

I don't work for that company but boy I wish I had stock in it!!!

And Marlys? If you cannot find them again, just email me and I'll get
you some! They sell them a lot over my way!

Ann in Maryland

Marlys in Indiana wrote:
This is my favorite. http://files.quiltknit.com/images/notions/nt147.jpg
It is just a plastic version of the expensive Roxanne ones. I got mine
in a local store, they had only 3 and I bought all three for a $1 each.
Wasn't taking any chances on not being able to find them again. They
are very handy for the longer nails - which I have most of the time.
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 3rd 05, 11:02 PM
Sandy Foster

I'm coming in late here -- I've been a bit distracted. Anyway, I've
tried Roxanne's thimbles, leather thimbles, you name it. My favorite is
a tailor's thimble! It has no top at all, which is good for me, since my
fingers get hot otherwise and since I push with the pad of my finger
instead of the tip, anyway. Besides, my nails grow quickly, so I don't
have to worry about trimming them every day or two. G

In addition, several years ago I bought a sterling version of the
tailor's thimble. It's pricey enough to be a bit of an investment, but
it has the added advantage of adjusting itself to your finger, no matter
what the temperature is. In other words, when I'm having a "fat finger"
day (it's hot here!), it expands to fit; and when I'm having a "skinny
finger" day (when it's cooler) it shrinks a little to fit. I love it and
always come back to it after trying other thimbles.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 3rd 05, 11:52 PM
Cheryl

OOHHHHH! Nasty. We have never had a needle go thru one.

And yeah - horses for courses! You find a couple of alternatives and switch
according to the day.

--

Cheryl

Old October 4th 05, 03:41 AM
Marcella Peek

Not through.

Stuck in the sticky soft rubbery top. The student trys to let go with
the thimble so they can pull the needle through and the needle backs out
with the thimble. Not a happy thing.

marcella

Old October 4th 05, 04:30 AM
Cheryl

I can imagine!!

Haven't had it happen to me personally - I'll ask around. Hhhmmmmmm.