Thimbles

Old October 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
Patti S

Default Thimbles

I need some thimble recommendations. I love doing hand work, and am
actually working on a project right now that uses lots of blanket
stitching. Trouble is, my finger gets so sore that I have to quit. I
bought one of those fancy, custom made silver thimbles a while ago, but
(even though it's custom made), it's just too clunky. Then I tried one
of the leather ones that has the metal "coin dot" in the center, and
that was way too awkward. Do any of you use a thimble? What kind? And
who is the vendor? Thanks........

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old October 3rd 05, 02:13 AM
Tina

We did this thread a while back Patti - you might try the archives too.

Me, well, I'm just too darned uncoordinated to use a thimble. I have
about 20 different kinds and hate them all. I keep a roll of blue
painters/masking tape in my quilting rolling cart. I just tear a piece
off, wrap it around my finger and go back to work. When that piece
starts to wear or fray, I rip it off, throw it in the trash and tear
off a new piece. It works really well for me, but is a bit embarassing
when I forget and head off to the store or school with blue tape
wrapped around my finger.

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
Julia in MN

I have tried lots of different kinds and I keep going back to the
inexpensive metal thimbles like you can buy almost anywhere that sewing
notions are sold. I think they may be Clover brand.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
Cheryl

I just love these little suckers! They are not everyone's choice, but they
are cheap enough that you can give them a go and see if they suit. You
should be able to get them in bigger stores, but I have to order them thru
internet to Oz. The leather pad is just the perfect size and I couldn't
applique without the metal underthimble.

My biggest problem with them is I forget I have them on and wash them away
sometimes - LOL!

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/shop...ls/Thimblepad/

There is also a new "Comfort Thimble" that is nice - looks big and clumsy
but actually very comfy to wear. I will look for a link.

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 3rd 05, 02:56 AM
teleflora

I know I've raved about my thimble before, but I truly can't say enough good
things about it. It's called an Ultra thimble and you can see it he
http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/86978b.jpg

Since I had acrylic nails put on, I can't wear my old favorite thimble. And
this one is even better because I can place it exactly where I want it. I
want to get a slick one without dimples for my underfinger.

Cindy

Old October 3rd 05, 03:14 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I don't remember who makes the thimble I use, but.....it's a leather one
with a plastic disk in it right where the needle hits me. The plastic disk
is totally useless, as a needle penetrates the plastic quite easily, so I
pulled it out and put a dime in there instead. It works great now! I like
it much better than the metal thimbles. Just my own opinion, of course.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old October 3rd 05, 04:42 AM
Marlys in Indiana

This is my favorite. http://files.quiltknit.com/images/notions/nt147.jpg
It is just a plastic version of the expensive Roxanne ones. I got mine
in a local store, they had only 3 and I bought all three for a $1 each.
Wasn't taking any chances on not being able to find them again. They
are very handy for the longer nails - which I have most of the time.
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 3rd 05, 10:33 AM
Roberta Zollner

Took me a long time to get used to any kind of thimble, back when I first
tried hand quilting. It gets easier with practice, like anything else. My
current favorite is a brass John James thimble with a magnetic dome on the
end. Very handy for finding lost needles, and the dimples in the dome are
just right for setting the stitch. Downside: it only comes in 3 sizes. Of
course, if you're in between, you could buy the larger one and put some
surgical tape around the inside.
Roberta in D

Old October 3rd 05, 02:18 PM
Patti S

Thank you all for the links / advice. I'm going to try Tina's "painters
tape" trick and also the ones that Cheryl provided a link for look
interesting - not so big and cumbersome. I think I just need to give
whatever I try some time - getting used to the darn things is rather
difficult, but I really hate sore fingers!

Hugz
Patti in Seattle