Quilt Notions & Travel Questions

Old March 26th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KimW

Default Quilt Notions & Travel Questions

Hi Everyone. I know a lot of you enjoy traveling and take your quilting
projects with you. So I have a couple of questions, especially for those who
fly. DH and I are going with another couple to Hawaii in December. I really
want to take along my Tumbling Block diamonds to work on while in the air. I
am hand piecing them rather than machine piecing. I have never attempted to
get any kind of sewing equipment through security at the airport so I'm not
sure what can and cannot be taken through.

I won't even attempt to take scissors but what about needles? I've thought
about getting one of those thread cutter necklaces to take but was wondering
if they really work. Has anyone used them? What should I pack in my sewing
travel kit besides the blocks?

Deb is planning to take her crocheting stuff. Does TSA allow crochet needles
through security? If so, I may take that too just to have a change if I get
too bored with Tumbling Blocks.

Any suggestions and advice are most appreciated.

Hugs,
Kim

Old March 26th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

I have traveled a lot, and I find there's a lot of variation about what's
allowed and what's not, from security guard to security guard. One trip
they'll ignore a four-inch Swiss army knife, the next trip they'll
confiscate cuticle scissors with 1/2 inch blades. Even nail clippers. And
forget about arguing with them -- that just brands you as potential trouble.
Inquiring in advance of the airline representative will have little or no
bearing on the decision of the security guard at the gate

My suggestion would be, whatever you decide to put in your carry-on, select
a cheap version. I find it hard to imagine a guard might confiscate a
*plastic* crochet hook or small, enclosed blades like nail clippers (which
cut thread pretty well), but it's up to the guard. You can put your good
embroidery scissors or whatever in your checked luggage.

ep

Old March 27th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

put them all in one dental floss box...thread, cutter(in top), needles, pins
..
the dental floss cutter bit is metal but never had an issue with carrying
that onboard.
the needles/pins are too thin for the machine to notice.
j.

"Edna Pearl" wrote ...

Old March 27th 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

No idea, every flight seems to be different. Somebody once posted here
the suggestion of a dental floss box to hold a bobbin full of thread
-built-in cutter. You could put a couple of needles and pins in it
too. No security check has ever confiscated my jewelry, so why not
stick a needle through your lapel? If you're like me, there's often a
needle stuck in clothing somewhere anyway.
Roberta in D

Old March 27th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:48:38 -0500, Roberta wrote
(in article ):

No idea, every flight seems to be different. Somebody once posted here
the suggestion of a dental floss box to hold a bobbin full of thread
-built-in cutter. You could put a couple of needles and pins in it
too. No security check has ever confiscated my jewelry, so why not
stick a needle through your lapel? If you're like me, there's often a
needle stuck in clothing somewhere anyway.
Roberta in D

I've never had problem with the thread cutter pendant as my "necklace" but
it's been a long while since we've flown. (At least 2 years). Also, I stuck
my needles and pins along the zipper teeth in my purse. No one even notices
they were there.

MSM has been flying to AZ with her knititng and no problems, so I'd guess a
crochet hook, especially a wooden or plastic one would be okay.

Maureen

Old March 27th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...xperience.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

I have flown with nail clippers (the kind without the pointy device)
and used them for trimming threads in flight.

Mary
Old March 27th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne

The threadcutters are explicitly forbidded for carry-on, see the TSA
website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

I've carried on board needles and dental floss box lots of times, in
various airports and was never questioned on any of that.

I have my aluminum chrochet hook (just the one) in my pencil case, and
wasn't asked about that either, but I think that was only one flight,
so not much to go by. I would have gotten a cheap plastic one, if I
could, but those are not available here...

Pack a magnet, if you drop a needle, you want to be able to find it
more easily than normal. Personally, I end up using my kit in the
airport during waittime and not in the air, where I always find the
space too cramped. Of course, if you are sharing space only with you
husband, this might not be an issue for you :-)

Hanne in DK

Old March 27th 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KimW

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
"KimW" wrote:

Kim, I'd check with the airline you're using *and* with the airport, as
security can differ for each. However, I've had no trouble taking
scissors (less than 4" blades), even sharp ones; I even took them to
China. In fact, the only place I haven't been able to take them (or
needles) was to jury duty, which has tighter security than the airlines
and airports. G

For hand piecing on airplanes, I usually take my little "kit" with my
prepared pieces, little scissors, a needle or two and a couple of pins.
I don't like to take a lot of extra pins and/or needles, since I don't
like to push my luck. I also take my thimble, of course, and a needle
threader, just in case I don't have good light for threading. Oh, so
you'll need thread, too.

I don't know about crochet needles, but I suspect they're okay, since
they're not sharp. Again, check with your airline and your airport.

Bon voyage!

Thanks Sandy. I've been putting some thought into what I need in my travel
kit. You just put the finishing touches on it. I have a pair of sharp
pointed scissors that are about 2 1/2 inches long but I was really afraid to
take them for fear that TSA would take them. I have some JoAnn gift
certificates so maybe a new pair of scissors is in order. That way I can
make up a travel kit and keep it together rather than pack it then take
stuff out when I get home. I flew to Florida on JetBlue from JFK a few years
back. I had some little bitty swiss army type knives on my key ring. They
were only about two inches long. I had gotten them at a couple of places I
had worked at. At the airport I got frisked and my purse searched at 3
different locations. TSA took two of the knives.

I know that security is different from location to location. I will just
have to put my kit together and see what happens. I think I'll get a plastic
crochet needle too just in case. Thanks for the information.

Hugs,
KimW

Old March 27th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KimW

I totally agree about the variation from one place to another and even guard
to guard. I have flown a lot in the past 8 years and have seen no
consistency with TSA, especially at the local airport. DH and I were flying
to Florida a few years ago and I had a question about some medical equipment
or something, I can't remember exactly what it was. But the airline gave me
the answer about how they intended for it to be handled according to their
policy. Well when we go to security I was told very bluntly and rudely by
TSA " I don't care what the airline told you. This is how we do it." I"ve
had a few run-ins with TSA lol. Nothing serious enough to get me escorted
out or anything like that but they knew I was very unhappy when I finally
got through. Granted it didn't make a bit of difference but at least I let
them know how I felt. Especially the time I got strip searched because of a
knee brace after having just flown out of the same airport twice in the days
prior to this without any problems at all.

Hugs,
KimW

Notions sale Julia in MN[_5_] Quilting 0 May 24th 09 06:35 PM
Quilt or travel question Dave Daniels Quilting 44 March 1st 05 12:13 AM
more on can't travel, will quilt Queen of Squishies Quilting 7 January 18th 05 11:21 PM
can't travel, will quilt Queen of Squishies Quilting 12 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
Nancy's Notions comes through Kate T. Quilting 3 April 20th 04 03:18 AM