A new machine for my quilter?

Old May 24th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Default A new machine for my quilter?

Computerised isn't necessarily all that bad, you need to try them out
but don't let it be completely off putting. Most sewing machines are
going to have some settings you can change, stitch length, width, upper
tension, presser foot pressure at a minimum. I have a basic Janome non
computerised machine which is great, but it still has several knobs and
sliders to change those things and it's lacking things quilters really
like, such as needle up/down. I now have a computerised machine and it's
actually easier to use, if I'm not sure what something is there is a
help button, so instead of having to guess if I squiggle next to a dial
means something, I can just press that and it tells me. I honestly find
my sewing machine easier to use than my cell phone and I have a simple
cell phone, having that help button means if the pictures aren't
intuitive you can get the extra info without locating the manual and I
do find it fairly intuitive, I use the help to check if something I
think is ok for stretchy fabric really is, that kind of thing. It also
doesn't let me do stupid things like try and sew a zig zag stitch when I
have a straight stitch throat plate on.

Most importantly, the manual manages to have plenty of detail whilst
being simple enough to quickly get the information you need, I wouldn't
have bought a machine without looking at the manual first, if the dealer
won't show you the manual, I'd wonder what they had to hide, not being
able to find it is one thing, but if they have nothing to hide they'll
be happy to have you come back the next day when they've found it!

Cheers
Anne
Old May 24th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Roberta wrote:
I would go mad trying to machine quilt with a top loading bobbin. When
the bobbin runs out, no need to remove everything to change it. I just
pull up the end of the thread, slip the new one in, pull up the new
thread, tighten up the top thread so it looks like nothing happened,
and continue quilting. The 2 loose ends can be buried in the work
later on.
Since the top and bobbin threads are frequently different colors, I
would definitely NOT want a machine that rewound the bobbin in place
like some of the top-loaders do. But that's just me, YMMV.

I have a top loading bobbin, I was used to not having that and I was
aware of concerns like yours. I have no interest in a bobbin that winds
whilst the machine is still threaded, it's twice as much thread going
through the needle, and the thread is usually going to be weaker and
produce lint and if you are unlucky you might make it more prone to
break when in use.

I haven't had the problem you describe, I think it's just that I don't
get buried in a project and I see a bobbin running out as a good hint to
take a break! But I can change mine without removing a quilt, the only
problem is the lack of light, I could probably do it with practice.

The one thing I dream of, but I don't think even exists is a magic
throat plate that changes from straight to zig zag without me having to
unscrew.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 24th 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

My thread to bobbin winder does not go through the needle.
..
In message , Anne Rogers
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old May 24th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Hi Anne,

Well, your dreams have come true!!

The new Janome Horizon Memory Craft*7700QCP has a "Automatic Plate
Converter" that allows push-button conversion from a Zig Zag to a
Straight Stitch Needle Plate.

Pictures he

http://mosewco.com/janome7700qcphorizon.aspx

"Automatic Plate Converter: Select a straight stitch and the Automatic
Plate Converter (AC) changes the size and shape of the needle hole.
When the needle is going up and down in a single spot, the needle
plate operates best with a single small, round hole. This is
especially important when you're using light fabrics, stitching at
high speeds or doing free-motion quilting. Your fabric won’t be pulled
into the needle plate; it stays flat and smooth.
The APC was specifically engineered to improve free-motion quilting.
We’re so sure you’ll love it for this technique, we include the
popular Convertible Free Motion Foot Set as part of the standard
accessories package."

Wayyyy cool....but it ain't cheap, either.....

-Irene

In message , Anne Rogers
writes

Old May 25th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Oh... my... gosh! I gotta have one of those new Janomes. I'm not pleased
that I have to wait a couple of years to be sure they got all the bugs out.
I will not buy a first year model of anything. Wah! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old May 25th 10, 08:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

What I would like would be a plate that can be removed easily for
cleaning without the need for fiddly screwdrivers to be used at an
awkward angle. Its something which has to be done regularly, so why not
an easy way in.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old May 25th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

One of the zillion reasons I love love love my old Bernina 930. Those guys
thought up the knee lifter too years. Only problem with that machine is
that is spoiled me for others.
Taria

Old May 25th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Pfaff's plate just pops out, no screws.
Roberta in D

Old May 25th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ed from AZ

Hmm .... just noticing -
no one has mentioned Baby Lock??
That's what our local quilting store carries.

Ed
Old May 25th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I am spoiled there. G The Husqvarna/Vikings I have all have throat
plates that snap/slide off to allow for cleaning the bobbin area. So
does the old Singer 66 I have. VBG

And I am looking at the new Janome Horizon. Also at the Viking
Sapphire. What a delimma!

Pati, in Phx