What I've been up to

Old April 10th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default What I've been up to

Well renovations as usual. Yesterday I ironed a baby panel that I need
to get done ASAP as the mom is due in a couple of weeks. Well I hung a
bar in a door way to baste it. I have no access to a table right now. So
I thought hang the layers over the bar and use my basting gun. It's a
panel with prequilted backing. Then I plan on using the premade silk
binding on it. Mainly because I have never done it and want to try. Well
can't get to my basting gun. The sewing room is blocked by sheets of
plywood and drywall. So maybe today hubby will help move it so I can at
least sneak in there for a couple of mins. My sewing machine is resident
of the kitchen table till we are done this renovation.

We live in a mobile home, an older one. Renovating one room at a time. A
total gut and rebuild, insulation and everything. We joined two of the
jack and jill rooms to make a master bedroom/ensuite. Only our ensuite
is really small. One step in the room turn right it's the stand up
shower, turn to the left it's the toilet, shoved in the corner is a
small vanity which I will have to custom make as they don't sell them
small enough it will be 22" wide. Hubby has 95% of the room built. Just
waiting for some warmer weather to cut open the floor and replace as
it's rotten from previous owners that had a water leak. So bedroom and
closet and some of the hallway are all drywalled. It's my turn to tape
and mud everything. With my neck issues it takes me awhile to do the
ceilings. But we don't set deadlines, renovations will be on going I'm
pretty sure forever. So we just say it will get done when it gets done.
We don't stress about it. And if we take a few days to just rest, visit
friends or take the kids to the zoo it's all good. It does feel funny to
have actually walls now though. We spent all winter just seeing the
studs and insulation in the wall.

For those that remember I'm finally feeling normal after delivering the
last baby. Thyroid is normal although I'm still 25pounds over weight. Dr
says not to stress cuz I can't fit my thyroid. I'm glad to have my
energy back though so I can do the things I love like quilting and
spending more quality time with my kids and friends. If you read this
far, Thanx I tend to ramble sometimes.
Take Care
Joanna
Old April 10th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
EstelleUK

Good luck with the renovations Joanna and I 'm glad to hear you are on the
up and up! Its the only way you know! lol
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old April 10th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I'm glad to hear you're feeling normal again. Seems like a long time,
doesn't it?

I love your attitude about the renovations getting done when they get
done. Not everyone can do that, but if it works for you, more power to
you! Sometimes we have a tendency to stop the rest of our life when we
work on a major project like that, so it's great to hear that you're
finding innovative ways of working around the reno to fit in some sewing
and family time. Good for you!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old April 10th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm hoping you can come back by and read this warning. Be sure to keep your
SM firmly covered. A friend of mine's SM got a snootful of drywall dust.
The cleaning and repair was mighty expensive. That fine but sharp powder
from cutting drywall is most unhealthy for SMs. Polly

Old April 11th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

Very pleased to see you back again. My OH and I lived in a very large
caravan (trailer) for 5 years and had a bathroom/ensuite just like yours -
small.
Good luck with the renovations and good wishes for continued good health.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old April 11th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SingerMom

It sounds like your mobile home remodel is coming right along. These
things always take time. I began remodeling my old mobile home over
three years ago and still haven't finished everything. Just keep
thinking of how nice everything will be and how you can say that you
did it yourselves!

I have spent the past three days custom designing and installing trim
around the triple windows in my bedroom. I replaced the windows last
summer, but ran out of good weather before I could figure out how to
do the interior trim. I plan to prime the trim tomorrow, if it does
not rain. Then I am installing an eight-foot long bookshelf (of mdf)
over the window. Eventually, I will make a small cabinet (tv stand/
shelf/clothes hamper) to sit under the windows on the right. My bed
is centered under the windows. On the left, I will design a small
chest of drawers to hold linens, with a set of deep shelves above
running up to the ceiling. This will have a custom "bed wall"
effect.

Three of my feline QIs live in my bedroom and have become "CI"s
(Construction Inspectors) lately. They're very good at getting under
foot, finding nails I dropped, sniffing the caulk around the windows,
and other helpful tasks

Frances
Old April 11th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Johanna, it's so very good to hear from you. And I'm glad you're
feeling better. Wow, what a housing adventure you and your DH are
embarked upon. I want to see photos of quilts and rooms as they're
finished!

Hugs,
Sunny
Old April 11th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

For those that remember I'm finally feeling normal after delivering the
last baby. Thyroid is normal although I'm still 25pounds over weight. Dr
says not to stress cuz I can't fit my thyroid. I'm glad to have my
energy back though so I can do the things I love like quilting and
spending more quality time with my kids and friends.

That's great news, I know you delivered after me and that you were a
surrogate, but I don't think your body recovering from a pregnancy is
much easier just because you don't actually have a baby. In the past few
weeks I've been feeling similar to you, glad to have my energy back, I
haven't really got to quilting, but I have rediscovered my sewing
machine and tidied up a lot of stuff. Baby is in a clingy phase at the
moment, coming out the other side of one of the separation anxiety
phases and just cut a tooth, so in the next few weeks I'm hoping I'll
get some more time. I'm about 25lb over weight too, put it on after the
baby though, I seem to lose my baby weight by giving birth, then put it
all back on again because my stomach can finally hold something!

Anne
Old April 11th 10, 08:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Polly... What I've been up to

Thanx for the heads up. I do buy the better mud that sinks to the floor.
The regular stuff just floats in the air for days. But I will cover my
machine to be safe.
Take Care
Joanna

Old April 11th 10, 08:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Frances... What I've been up to

Thanx so much for the ideas. A book shelf above the window. What a great
space saving idea. We've been renovating for three years now as we
renovated our house before we sold that and bought the trailer. It was
neglected for years. So I'm thinking it will take at least another 5
more years before everything and every room is done. But it is so worth.
Two summers ago hubby and I put a roof on. The trailer had a little
rounded roof of metal on it. Well I would build the trusses myself in
the back yard during the day and at night we would put a couple of them
up. Right over the old roof. It took us a month, a lot of sore bones but
we are both proud that we were able to do it ourselves. Neither of us
had ever done anything that larger. A neighbourgh had done his and was
the same size and he had a left over truss. It was done by a carpenter
so we just used that as a template. It made a huge difference in sound
proffing and insulation in the house too. Now neighbourghs across the
way are asking for help cuz they want to do theirs as well. Which makes
me feel good that I live here. Everyone tries to take care of their
properties here. I used to live in a trailer park when I was younger and
no one cared what their place looked like, the old adage "trailer park
trash." That's not so here. So I am blessed.
Take Care
Joanna