White-on-white fabric

Old April 2nd 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default White-on-white fabric

LOL and thank you Kathyl. I was sort of thinking maybe my experience with
rubberized WOW was rare. Just maybe not if Diane Gaudynski warns about grey
holes. That would really upset us. Of course, if you fell in love with
one, you could always buy a little and test it for rubber and lead. Polly

"Kathyl" Diane Gaudynski warns against using w-o-w fabrics unless you do a
sample piece before machine quilting. Some of them leave a dark grey/
black mark in the needle hole. I know this from experience since I
took a w-o-w fabric to use in one of her classes. I was the example
of what NOT to do! Everybody has a purpose, huh?

Old April 2nd 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I really like the look of the WOW also. I saw some new ones at LQS
that
were block alphabet letters, and one that was cursive alphabet
letters. I';d
love to use them. Very subtle.

I guess the stuff used in the printing must vary, I've definitely had
some like Diane G describes as being a problem, but I do think she only
means as a backing, as in my copy of her book, she describes it
dragging, not difficult to needle, though with some of the close spaced
designs that doesn't surprise me. I've had some that have bigger
patterns apparently printed more finely, don't know if they'd drag or
not, but then for a backing why spend money on WoW? If you want white
for a back, you might as well use bleached muslin.

Cheers
Anne
Old April 2nd 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

White design printed on white. Beware of any print "ink" that feels
plasticky, it can be impossible to hand stitch and may also give your
machine hiccups. This is one fabric I don't like to buy without a
personal feel. But it's Just Right for lots of things, if you find a
good one.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:33:10 -0500, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:

What is white-on-white fabric?

TIA
ep

Old April 2nd 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

On Apr 1, 11:12*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
I really like the look of the WOW also. I saw some new ones at LQS
that
were block alphabet letters, and one that was cursive alphabet
letters. I';d
love to use them. Very subtle.

I guess the stuff used in the printing must vary, I've definitely had
some like Diane G describes as being a problem, but I do think she only
means as a backing, as in my copy of her book, she describes it
dragging, not difficult to needle, though with some of the close spaced
designs that doesn't surprise me. I've had some that have bigger
patterns apparently printed more finely, don't know if they'd drag or
not, but then for a backing why spend money on WoW? If you want white
for a back, you might as well use bleached muslin.

Cheers
Anne

I'm not sure I follow you Anne. But my class with Diane taught me
about using wow anywhere on your quilt...front or back. As a backing,
some of them are rather sticky and can cause some drag on the table
top when machine quilting. And on the top, some of the w-o-w fabrics
will cause a grey mark in each needle hole. I witnessed that one
personally.
Old April 2nd 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

15 yrs ago, some of the white-on-white fabric was like a
rubbery coating that had been laid on the fabric & then stamp-cut
so the secondary white poofed up & stuck to the top of the fabric.
The rubbery white-on-top was nearly impossible to handquilt, and not
especially machine-friendly, either.
(About that time someone wanting to make a Hug quilt asked for w-o-w
blocks; there was a loud, collective groan; it was a small Hug quilt.)
Then, w/ help from many quilters, the fabric companies wised-up and
figured out how to make the w-o-w fabric quilter-friendly. g
I gave away most of the rubbery w-o-w to a couple of machine quilters.
We were all happy about it. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy - fondling the basket of white-on-white & white-on-taupe

On 4/1/10 6:17 PM, in article
, "AuntK"
wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:33*pm, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:
What is white-on-white fabric?

TIA
ep

EP,
I thinnk Kate's description is perfect. I'm surprised to hear that
folks are saying it's hard to hand-quilt (or in Polly's case even MQ)
through. That has not been my experience at all and I've used many
different WOW's for tops and many other tone-on-tone (same concept -
different colors) for tops and/or backs with no difficulties
whatsoever. I love WOW or TOT much more than actual solids for those
areas that I want the quilt to 'read' solid.

Kim in beautiful, sunny, warm NJ

Old April 2nd 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I was thinking the bad stuff was the first stuff that showed up. It was
miserable to
work with. I haven't seen any of it in a long
while though so hopefully it is gone.
Taria
"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

15 yrs ago, some of the white-on-white fabric was like a
rubbery coating that had been laid on the fabric & then stamp-cut
so the secondary white poofed up & stuck to the top of the fabric.
The rubbery white-on-top was nearly impossible to handquilt, and not
especially machine-friendly, either.
(About that time someone wanting to make a Hug quilt asked for w-o-w
blocks; there was a loud, collective groan; it was a small Hug quilt.)
Then, w/ help from many quilters, the fabric companies wised-up and
figured out how to make the w-o-w fabric quilter-friendly. g
I gave away most of the rubbery w-o-w to a couple of machine quilters.
We were all happy about it. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy - fondling the basket of white-on-white & white-on-taupe

On 4/1/10 6:17 PM, in article
, "AuntK"

Old April 2nd 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I'm not sure I follow you Anne. But my class with Diane taught me
about using wow anywhere on your quilt...front or back. As a backing,
some of them are rather sticky and can cause some drag on the table
top when machine quilting. And on the top, some of the w-o-w fabrics
will cause a grey mark in each needle hole. I witnessed that one
personally.

curious, I don't know if her book has multiple editions, but the white
on white problem is mentioned specifically in the choosing a backing
section in my copy, she may not have come across the needle hole problem
at that stage. I haven't seen it myself either, but I will be a bit
cautious from now on!

Anne
Old April 3rd 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_3_]

I think your confusion comes from WOW actually referring to two different
sorts of fabrics.

One has white fabric printed (dyed) with a design that's just a hair off the
"white" of the base fabric. If you dye this fabric, there's a fair chance
that the design will go invisible, or harder to find than on the original.
But other than the subtlety of the color combination, it's exactly like
green fabric with a pink design, or whatever other color combination you
prefer.

The other has white fabric printed with something the same color, but it's
heavier: if you dye this fabric, the base will take the dye, and you'll have
a white design remaining on the colored fabric. (Think puffy fabric paint,
but only about .05% of the effect, visually.)

It's the latter that folks refer to as hard to quilt; I find it varies with
the fabric, as the amount of stiff dye-resistant material used to do the
printing varies. On the other hand, this fabric can be gangs of fun to tie
dye. But then so can black-on-white.

--pig

On 4/1/10 7:17 PM, in article
, "AuntK"

Old April 4th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Excellent points, Megan. These issues are important but can sometimes be
puzzling. To confuse the matter further, I would also mention that there
are different 'shades' of WOW, which may or may not influence the quilter's
choices.

White wool or white cotton? BB Yarn 19 August 22nd 06 02:35 AM
WoWarcraft (not white on white) again, this time, on topic! frood Quilting 2 June 13th 06 08:02 PM
White fabric review? Quilting 10 October 27th 03 03:25 PM
Finished my white gansey, which isn't white H Schinske Yarn 3 August 22nd 03 06:33 PM