OT - the heck with Xmas - who's is getting ready for Thanksgiving

Old November 27th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default OT - the heck with Xmas - who's is getting ready for Thanksgiving

fran wrote:
I was going to eat alone, but my new neighbor invited me over today,
so I'll cook the duck, make the dressing, finish the choc chip
cookies, and NO LEFTOVERS! Yipee!!!
:

fran wrote:
The candies are made, the coookies started and I have made one pumpkin
pie. I'm trying a new recipe and so decided to make a pie before
thanksgiving - if it works, I'll make another on the day, if not, I'll
times as long on the prep. We'll see how it tastes this evening.

So happy to see you have a friendly neighbor!!! It isn't necessary to be
best buddies, but a good neighborly friend is always good.

We are eating tomorrow with folk we wouldn't call close friends, but
they are friends, we have helped them, they have helped us! The guys are
Ham radio enthusiasts (us wives also have licenses, but just use it
for emergency calls.).

THAT is friendship!
Have a happy thanksgiving; there is much to give thanks for; we are
alive, we can use computers, we have cyberfriends..some of us have
spouses, Best Friends, Siblings with whom we bond.

I have decided I don't believe in the Anglican church, in which I was
raised, or Christianity as a whole. BUT I am thankful that the caring
and loving relationships taught to us are good in any religion... or
non-religion!

Always be kind to your neighbor.

Gillian
Old November 27th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:27:12 -0500, fran
opined:

I was going to eat alone, but my new neighbor invited me over today,
so I'll cook the duck, make the dressing, finish the choc chip
cookies, and NO LEFTOVERS! Yipee!!!

I much prefer duck to turkey, yummy.

I will have to find one and cook it soon. Since Jim is allowed fats, but
no carbs......I can taste that crunchy skin right now! WE both have
always enjoyed dark meat (fowl that is), so a duck is good. It has been
years since I had goose. Our friends on 8 Heathcote RD always did goose
for Xmas in the postwar years; we alternated Xmases.

Gill
Old November 27th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

fran wrote:
[...]

Be kind to your web-footed friends, cause a duck may be somebody's mother---

Old November 27th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

fran wrote:
[...]

Yeah, sweetie pie, I remember that one to... used to sing it in Girl
Guides in England as a kid! Taught it to my Scottish Junior Scouts when
we lived there, and I wan the Grand Poobah! (Version I heard was
brother, and a kiss in the dark!)

Old November 27th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:47:47 GMT, Gillian Murray
opined:

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:27:12 -0500, fran
opined:

I was going to eat alone, but my new neighbor invited me over today,
so I'll cook the duck, make the dressing, finish the choc chip
cookies, and NO LEFTOVERS! Yipee!!!
I much prefer duck to turkey, yummy.

I will have to find one and cook it soon. Since Jim is allowed fats, but
no carbs......I can taste that crunchy skin right now! WE both have
always enjoyed dark meat (fowl that is), so a duck is good. It has been
years since I had goose. Our friends on 8 Heathcote RD always did goose
for Xmas in the postwar years; we alternated Xmases.

Gill

The easiest way to get that nice, crispy skin is to leave the duck
overnight in the 'fridge uncovered. It's basically the principle
they use for Peking Duck. Then roast as usual, preferably on a rack
and voila, nice crispy skin. Don't forget the sage and onion stuffing
lol

But there, I should shut up before it is said that I am moaning again.

Not moaning, but definitely reminiscing. When I did duck when the EMIL
was alive, I remember I stabbed the skin several times,, so the fat
underneath would run into the pan, under the rack!

Old November 27th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:03:25 GMT, Gillian Murray
opined:

The easiest way to get that nice, crispy skin is to leave the duck
overnight in the 'fridge uncovered. It's basically the principle
they use for Peking Duck. Then roast as usual, preferably on a rack
and voila, nice crispy skin. Don't forget the sage and onion stuffing
lol

But there, I should shut up before it is said that I am moaning again.

Not moaning, but definitely reminiscing. When I did duck when the EMIL
was alive, I remember I stabbed the skin several times,, so the fat
underneath would run into the pan, under the rack!

Don't stab all over the duck, just lightly in the breast where all
water birds have a heavy fat layer for warmth. Use a carving fork and
maybe pierce about a 1/16th of an inch, not too deep, you don't want
to go further in than the fat.

I am not going to cook a duck this weekend, I am not going to cook a
duck this weekend..........................................

I haven't cooked a duck for approximately 35 years and you can bet the farm
I'm not going to cook a duck for the next 35 years.

Old November 27th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Lucille wrote:
"

Don't stab all over the duck, just lightly in the breast where all
water birds have a heavy fat layer for warmth. Use a carving fork and
maybe pierce about a 1/16th of an inch, not too deep, you don't want
to go further in than the fat.

I am not going to cook a duck this weekend, I am not going to cook a
duck this weekend..........................................

I haven't cooked a duck for approximately 35 years and you can bet the farm
I'm not going to cook a duck for the next 35 years.

All the more ducks for Sheena.

Old November 27th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:24:27 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

Don't stab all over the duck, just lightly in the breast where all
water birds have a heavy fat layer for warmth. Use a carving fork and
maybe pierce about a 1/16th of an inch, not too deep, you don't want
to go further in than the fat.

I am not going to cook a duck this weekend, I am not going to cook a
duck this weekend..........................................

I haven't cooked a duck for approximately 35 years and you can bet the
farm
I'm not going to cook a duck for the next 35 years.

Twouldn't do if we all liked the same things !

Add to that the boredom factor and you get the formula for our "discussions"
here on RCTN. lol

Old November 28th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

I find that if you prick the skin to release the fact, both duck and
goose can be leaner that beef! My neighbor had never had duck, and
I'd never had chitlins or stewed greens. She was braver than I was
and ate the duck. Once I found out what chitlins were, I decided to
be a coward and not eat them. Boiled pork intestines, anyone?
buurgh.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:07:25 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 11/26/08 6:37 PM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:27:12 -0500, fran
opined:

I was going to eat alone, but my new neighbor invited me over today,
so I'll cook the duck, make the dressing, finish the choc chip
cookies, and NO LEFTOVERS! Yipee!!!

I much prefer duck to turkey, yummy.

Drooling. I had goose once in Germany and I'd love to have that. Sadly,
according to DH both are too fatty and off the menu. Not that the kids would
eat it anyway.

Cheryl

get ready for your xmas goshoppingchina Beads 0 August 3rd 07 08:43 AM
What the heck Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 6 January 3rd 06 08:26 PM
What the heck is this? DreamBeadr Beads 5 September 15th 04 05:50 AM
AD: Just for the Heck of it.... Juanita Floyd Beads 0 April 11th 04 05:26 PM
New Xmas Freebie - Gaelic Xmas Greeting cpceltic Marketplace 0 November 25th 03 08:15 PM