Hand Quilting Frame

Old June 9th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Default Hand Quilting Frame

That's a huge help Julia. I think ours is more like the Hinterberg at $200,
so we'll see. I'm also asking a couple of hand quilters to take a look at
it, to see if they can evaluate it. Good detective work Julia!!

Pauline
Northern California
"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Is it like one of these? http://tinyurl.com/2v98ekg or
http://www.google.com/products?q=quilting+hoop+on+stand&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=--kOTKGHDM2InQeU-9GxDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum =4&ved=0CDgQrQQwAw
This could also give you some ideas on how to price. $50 may be too high.

Julia in MN

Pauline wrote:
Well, maybe that's my problem - this is a hoop, on a stand. Sandy - can
you give me a more accurate description of what that is called, so I can
do more research on it? It is beautiful & we were thinking of putting a
$50 price on it, but maybe that's too high - maybe it's too low!!

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

Y'all keep saying "there aren't that many hand quilters out there".
Yeah, only about 5 or 6 million, maybe a few more. g

Hand quilting frame: no, thanks.
Hoop, yes.
Price for the frame: whatever anyone offers to take it off your hands.

R/Sandy - handquilter

On 6/7/10 9:52 AM, in article
, "Marcella Peek"
wrote:

Have you tried calling information for that area code?

It's likely they are simply out of business though. What do other
frame
makers - Grace, Hinterberg etc. charge for something similar?

At any rate, the guild wouldn't likely sell it at it's original price
or
even very close to it. There aren't all that many hand quilters out
there (sadly) and most of them seem to already have a hoop or frame
they
like if they even use one.

marcella

In article ,
"Pauline" wrote:

Hi Ross,

Thank you so much. I neglected to say, in my original post that I did
find
the same information as you have, however, when I called the number, I
got a
recording that the area code had changed to "269" & when I try dialing
the
number with the new area code, I get either a recording to try my
number
again, a busy signal or no answer at all - very strange!!

I'm open to any other suggestions!

Pauline
Northern California

"Ross" wrote in message
Pauline wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Norwood Hand Quilting Frame. I know we
don't
have a lot of hand quilters around, but one of our guild members
donated
hers for our upcoming Fabric Follies & More sale & I have not been
successful in locating any information on the internet about it.
She
told me it is made out of oak & she paid about $300 for it 10 years
ago.
It's in mint condition & we don't want to give it away, nor do we
want to
ask too much money for it. Thanks for any information that you can
give
me.

Pauline
Northern California

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old June 9th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Oops, beg pardon.
I meant I prefer to quilt in a hoop, not on a frame.

Yeah, I think Julia showed us what you're talking about,
a hoop on a floor stand.
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/ek-pp.htm

They can be kinda' pricey, new:
http://www.hinterberg.com/cat-Floor_Hoops-20.aspx

or not:
http://tinyurl.com/2dmdf9q

And just to throw this in (mercy!),
a small frame:
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1

Even at 10 yrs old, in mint condition & made of oak, your price of $50/OBO
is a good starting point. You can always lower the price, but don't have
to give it away.

Again, good luck, Pauline!
Your Fabric Follies & More sounds like fun! I'd enjoy some details.
Our guild does a "garage sale" in June, those who wish may rent a table
for a small fee and sell whatever they please (mostly quilt stuff,
sometimes jewelry or candles, other crafts, no food); this is combined
w/ a potluck dinner & door prizes. Mild fun. ;-)

R/Sandy- just plugging away w/ my 12" round wooden hoop

Old June 11th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Thanks a bunch Sandy! Yes, I feel comfortable with a starting bid/price of
$50.00. If it doesn't sell, we'll slash the price 50% during the last hour
of the sale.

Fabric Follies & More is a fundraiser for us. We did this about 5 years ago
& raised about $5,000.00, so we're going to give it a go again. Since this
is a fundraiser (in a non-quilt show year), we are asking the members to
donate all those fabrics, patterns, books, magazines, notions, quilt tops &
UFO's they no longer need or want, for us to sell. We accept pretty much
anything that is craft related, so we have received LOTS of yarn & lots of
cross-stitch patterns & supplies as well. We also have received some
non-quilting fabric, which we price at $1 & if we don't sell it, it goes to
the thrift store. We have received a couple of "higher priced" items, such
as the quilting hoop, an Alto Quilt-Cutter, (retails for about $200),
various quilt tops & some other kind of a quilting frame that I don't even
know how to research. The higher priced items we are putting in a silent
auction & they will be available to view at our website & we'll have a
running slide show of those items at our June meeting. The sale is in July.
I'm co-chairing this event & so I'm seeing most everything that has been
donated. Some great stuff - some not so great stuff. If it's really,
really bad, we are either trashing it (seriously flawed fabric, etc.) or
taking it to a thrift store (out of the area, so as not to offend anyone).
We want to put on a good show & not sell anything that is junky, cause we
want people to have a good shopping experience & come back the next time we
do this. So far, the most bizarre donation we have received is a light
fixture!!!! That isn't going to make it into the sale - it's already made
it's way to the thrift shop.

We are sending flyers to other local guilds, we will post an ad on Craig's
List & put an ad in the Penny Saver. This is my first time co-chairing the
event, so learning lots as we go along. We price LQS quality fabric at
$4/yd & other cottons at $2/yd. We are also going to have grab bags with a
$1 off coupon for a local quilt shop, plus a notion or fat 8th or pattern.
We sell these for $1. We want to partner with the LQS, as well, so we can
help to promote their business as well.

We did do a "member's garage sale" a couple of years ago. Unfortunately,
when we planned it, we did not expect to have the response from the members
that we did. I think we did it in April & we ended up overflowing to the
patio area. Even with renting construction lighting, the lighting was poor
& the members did not have a great experience with it. I tried to promote
that this year, but didn't get enough interest. I was going to rent a
larger facility & do it on a weekend, to take advantage of the daylight.

Let me know if I can give you anymore details!

Pauline
Northern California

Old June 11th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Wow, this sounds like a fun and huge event! Let us know how it turns
out.

When we had our fabric sale last year I was totally surprised at how
much of those old 70's calicoes (in about 6 colors and three different
prints) went out the door. One lady was picking through that area
looking for every bit of the bright yellow. Who can predict what will
be unpopular?

Do you have places lined up to take any leftovers? We've had good luck
with SCRAP in S.SF taking odd fabric and things. Our local libraries
were willing to take any leftover books for their sale as well.

marcella

In article ,
"Pauline" wrote:

[...]

List & put an ad in the Penny Saver. This is my first time co-chairing the

Old June 12th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Tell me about SCRAP Marcella. Otherwise, we just take the leftovers to
thrift stores & donate them.

I was at your sale last year, because we brought our quilt on that day - &
your members were very generous in purchasing tickets!

My friend was on the hunt for homespuns & she found a lot. I think she made
a rag quit for her husband - or the cat - can't remember - maybe it was for
the husband, but the cat loved it!

Pauline

&
[...]

List & put an ad in the Penny Saver. This is my first time co-chairing
the

Old June 14th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Scrap is a place where they collect all kinds of things and creative
people come and put it to use as art materials. Like a thrift store,
it's a donation - you aren't paid for your donation. But, the quilter
people who frequent Scrap are always happy when a fabric delivery is
made. http://www.scrap-sf.org

We've also been able to donate things to RAFT which is similar to scrap
but for teachers. Clever people who work there often look at the
donated goods and turn them into kits to make board games to teach math
concepts or cool science projects. http://www.raft.net

I don't know if there are East Bay equivalents, but it's nice to know
donations are really being put to good use.

However, just getting the stuff donated and not back at your house is a
wonderful thing.

Ticket day was that sale day? I didn't even remember that. Our guild
ladies do like to shop though - raffle tickets, fabric, speakers stuff...

marcella

Old October 25th 10, 09:58 PM
Curly Curly is offline
Junior Member

Pauline
I am a hand quilter and would be interested in purchasing the 18" Norton hoop if your guild has agreed on a price and if it's still available
Curly
TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline[_3_] View Post
That's a huge help Julia. I think ours is more like the Hinterberg at $200,
so we'll see. I'm also asking a couple of hand quilters to take a look at
it, to see if they can evaluate it. Good detective work Julia!!

Pauline
Northern California
"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Is it like one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/2v98ekg or
http://www.google.com/products?q=qui...ed=0CDgQrQQwAw

Old December 6th 10, 02:02 AM
abycats abycats is offline
Junior Member

Norwood was a company that specialized in making very fine,, sturdy looms. For a short period ending somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s, Norwood also made heirloom quality quilting frames. One type was made of oak with canvas flaps along the side and were totally adjustable in length or width. The wood pieces were beautifully finished and probably four times the circumference of the ones you usually find.

Norwood also made a 24" circular hoop made of cherry that had a cross piece attached to a central gimbel that allowed full angles of rotation from vertical to horizontal and beyond from every angle. The hoop was formed to shape with steam from high quality wood. Both the inner and outer hoops are 3/8" wide and each band is about 1-5/8" deep. The stand itself may have been oak. I'm not sure if they also made either a larger or smaller size hoop.

Again, these were heirloom quality and equivalent to furniture in terms of beauty and sturdiness. The concept of a splinter was simply not part of their manufacturing process. You can still find some of their looms second-hand at sites such as http://www.homesteadweaver.com/usedequipment.htm I believe they went out of business because the market couldn't support the prices they had to charge to make money with the quality of materials and workmanship.

The sad thing is that I have one of their circular hoops on its stand. (I did also have the adjustable frames but they're long gone.) I did make one hand-quilted full-size quilt on it and loved using the hoop to do so. The hoop and its stand still look gorgeous 30 years after purchase but my eyes and hands no longer work well enough together for me to use it further. I found your post in the process of investigating how to sell it.

To your specific question (if it's still relevant), you have a find on your hands and should not underprice it. It's both useful and beautiful and will last for generations. The price she paid was not out of line. Perhaps put it up for raffle?

abycats
Manhattan, NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline[_3_] View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Norwood Hand Quilting Frame. I know we don't have a lot of hand quilters around ... She told me it is made out of oak & she paid about $300 for it 10 years ago. It's in mint condition & we don't want to give it away, nor do we want to ask too
much money for it. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Pauline
Northern California

Last edited by abycats : December 6th 10 at 02:13 AM. Reason: left out data
Old January 18th 12, 09:57 PM
SewieJoey SewieJoey is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline[_3_] View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Norwood Hand Quilting Frame. I know we don't
have a lot of hand quilters around, but one of our guild members donated
hers for our upcoming Fabric Follies & More sale & I have not been
successful in locating any information on the internet about it. She told
me it is made out of oak & she paid about $300 for it 10 years ago. It's in
mint condition & we don't want to give it away, nor do we want to ask too
much money for it. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Pauline
Northern California
Pauline - Were you able to sell your Norwood Hand Quilting Frame? I am very interested to know how much you sold it for. I am looking at one at an antique mall where I live, and wonder if the price is too high.

Linda
Western Michigan
Old November 2nd 13, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Friday, June 4, 2010 5:29:38 PM UTC-7, Pauline wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Norwood Hand Quilting Frame. I know we don't
have a lot of hand quilters around, but one of our guild members donated
hers for our upcoming Fabric Follies & More sale & I have not been
successful in locating any information on the internet about it. She told
me it is made out of oak & she paid about $300 for it 10 years ago. It's in
mint condition & we don't want to give it away, nor do we want to ask too
much money for it. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Pauline
Northern California

Here's an answer for you on craigslist: (north Phoenix...they are asking $50)

?subject=Quilting%20 Frame%20-%20%2450%20%28North%20Phoenix%29&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3 A%2F%2Fphoenix.craigslist.org%2Fnph%2Fart%2F415950 6284.html%0A

Hand quilting frame John Quilting 15 May 15th 07 04:33 PM
Do-it-yourself hand quilting frame Moe Quilting 1 January 30th 07 01:48 AM
hand quilting frame/hoop Sarah Dixon Quilting 6 July 18th 06 09:53 AM
Heartland hand quilting frame kr_gentner Marketplace 0 August 6th 05 06:14 PM
has anyone added a machine to thier hand quilting frame? Becky Quilting 9 July 24th 05 10:44 PM