OT- ? about Transitions eyeglass lenses

Old July 9th 03, 08:42 PM
Pati Cook

I don't get the darken in the sun lenses because the lenses always have some
color in them. Plays havoc with matching/determining colors. Do think
about that. Also here in the desert they are a lot slower to change back to
light because of the heat.

Pati, in Phx

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:

I came into a little bit of money and decided to treat myself to some
nice glasses to replace these cheap "industrial" frames and lined
trifocals. I want no-line trifocals (had them before and they worked
well for me) with the Transitions lenses that darken when you go
outdoors and lighten up indoors. I have never had Transitions, so
before I invest in them (rather pricey), does anybody have any
comments... anything I should know?

Thanks my friends- I always know I can get good info here! ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old July 10th 03, 12:00 AM
Lisa Ellis

I've worn transition lenses for years. They work very well for driving and
general wear, I never notice the changes, so I guess they work well.
They don't work well for intense sunlight, as they don't get dark enough.
I still have regular (well, prescription) sunglasses to wear when climbing
or hiking.

lisae

Old July 10th 03, 01:14 AM
Marilyn

I have used the transition lenses for as long as they have been available.
I love them, and as a previous writer mentioned, they have gotten a lot
better over the years. They no longer take forever to change back and forth
and you the wearer are never really aware of the changing. Finally talked
my husband into trying them at last change of lenses, now he loves them too.
Marilyn in Moravia

Old July 10th 03, 01:40 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I used to have them and plan to get them again. For some silly reason, I
decided to do without them this time and use clipon sunglasses. What a pain!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old July 10th 03, 01:42 AM
Lisa Ellis

Doesn't it bother you when you wear the old glasses?

My glasses fell off when I was climbing and got all messed up. I had to wear
my old glasses until I got them fixed, and it drove me crazy. I didn't
really understand as my new prescription was much the same as the old one; my
sister the optometrist made the bifocal portion a bit stronger.

This time around, I had to get graduated lenses for my sunglasses also. I
found I couldn't read maps with a plano lens. Sigh . . .

lisae

Donna in Idaho wrote:

Not only do I have the transition lens - I also have prescription sun
glasses. They didn't make a major change in my prescription this time, so
I'm having my old glasses dyed to use for sun glasses and getting new lens
as described in my answer to Leslie.

Old July 10th 03, 01:46 AM
Lisa Ellis

I agree; I had a pair of those and never used the clipon part.

lisae

Old July 10th 03, 02:10 AM
Donna in Idaho

No problems. The prescription isn't 'that' different. I can't read as well
with the old lens in my sunglasses, but I use them mostly for driving and
they don't cause me any problems with that. That is the reason that I'm
going to have my current glasses dyed. The sunglasses I'm using now are too
many prescriptions ago - I'm sure at least 4 changes back.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old July 10th 03, 02:54 AM
Sherry Starr

I asked my ophthalmologist about them, and he said he did not think they
were very good since they do not get as dark as sunglasses. I asked
Lenscrafters about them before I bought new glasses, and they said they
don't really recommend them because they don't get as dark as the
sunglasses. When my sunglasses start fading, they just redye them at no
charge. I also have a friend that bought the transition glasses and took
them back, and got sunglasses. He said he felt like they never changed
much. He kept taking them off and looking at them because they weren't very
dark.
Sherry Starr

Old July 10th 03, 02:59 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

If I recall, you can pick how dark you get them. I'm sure I'd keep my
clipons for that bright headon sun (when driving mostly) but would not need
sunglasses otherwise. I didn't need them when I had the trans before.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!

t...