Project Advice Needed

Old September 22nd 11, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Default Project Advice Needed

I think I remember what you are talking about. Came in a variety of plain
cotton colors way back when. Sometimes I saw it used for a quickie type of
quilt or big beach bags or the like. I think I've also seen a variety of
prints now as well. The nylon varity was often the lining of our winter
jackets. I'm doing some web searching for some pictures. Told our
secretary at school about it today and she found the idea very intriguing.

I too like the idea of a no-thinking project but something that I can take
while traveling or sitting talking with people or watching a movie or other
such stuff.

Thanks for the idea and the reminder to wash it first.

Steven
Alaska

"Susan Laity Price" wrote in message
I have stitched several of the panels for quilts from that same
company and was worried about using two layers. I chose a heavier
cotton fabric for my background that did not allow the thread to
shadow through as much as it would if stitching on muslin and did as
little traveling as necessary. The finished quilts are wonderful. This
week end I saw an Over the River quilt made using the fabric which
looks like it has been quilted in half inch grid for the background of
the embroidery. It was wonderful. The grid made it look like the
panels were quilted and didn't interfere with the embroidery design.
Wish I had thought of it. I used that fabric about 10 years ago for
embroidery background and always liked the result. Sorry I can't give
you the correct name of the fabric. I do remember that you need to
pre-wash the fabric because it shrinks a lot but that gives it even
more of a quilted look. I call these embroidered panels my no thinking
project because they were all one color and the majority is all
backstitch. They were very relaxing to stitch. Have fun.

Susan

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:40:39 -0800, "Steven Cook"
wrote:

As if I don't have enough projects going, I'm going to start another one.

I have the pattern Over the River, which someone else here has completed,
which is pieced blocks and embroidered panels. The panels are to be
double
layers of fine quality broadcloth or something of a solid color. I will
be
using a cream color, not quite white. All of the embroidery will be in
green as I plan on making the blocks in darker greens.

Now, these double layers are to both be sewed through so the floss doesn't
show through, or at least show less. The pattern simply talks about
"holding" the layers together while you sew. I'm planning on using a
light
weight wonder-under of some sort to more or less permanently bond them
together. For my sanity this would be much better.

What brand and weight would you recommend? I want something that will
hold
well and permanently, but still be easy to sew through. Give some body,
but
not too stiff.

Let the comments begin.

In the meantime I pulled the Hawaiian block off the shelf and am working
on
finishing hand quilting it.

Steven
Alaska