Roofing

Old July 6th 04, 06:19 PM
JohnA

Default Roofing

I plan to use vinyl floor tiles as roofing for my tudor house. Does anyone
know if I can paint over them, and if so what sort of paint.

TIA

JohnA

Old July 6th 04, 09:09 PM
Carol

Mini floor tiles? Seems like an expensive way to go and they may be too
thick and won't lay properly.

If I were to paint vinyl I would score it or sand it using very coarse
sandpaper and use a regular latex paint. Not sure if it will stand the test
of time.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old July 6th 04, 09:21 PM
havana bill & holly

"JohnA" wrote in message
I plan to use vinyl floor tiles as roofing for my tudor house. Does anyone
know if I can paint over them, and if so what sort of paint.

TIA

JohnA

Why vinyl roofing tiles? If you want to simulate slate, black construction
paper torn into slate shapes with pastels to accent slate colors & seal with
a matte varnish. If you want to simulate stone, ditto using papier-maché
from egg cartons or some other heavy card. Aside from the problems Carol
mentions, the weight would be terrific.

Old July 6th 04, 09:25 PM
JohnA

It is probably the cheapest way to do it other than wallpaper, I can do a
full roof (very big) for about £3.

Old July 6th 04, 09:29 PM
JohnA

Forgot to mention they are only 1.5 mm thick, so it seems we are talking
about something different, there is no problem with them sticking down.

JohnA

Old July 8th 04, 09:31 PM
Grandpa

havana bill & holly wrote:

"JohnA" wrote in message

I plan to use vinyl floor tiles as roofing for my tudor house. Does anyone
know if I can paint over them, and if so what sort of paint.

TIA

JohnA

Why vinyl roofing tiles? If you want to simulate slate, black construction
paper torn into slate shapes with pastels to accent slate colors & seal with
a matte varnish. If you want to simulate stone, ditto using papier-maché
from egg cartons or some other heavy card. Aside from the problems Carol
mentions, the weight would be terrific.

Or sandpaper for normal 3-tab roofing or split pieces of cedar fencing
to make cedar shakes for a roof. You can probably do 3 large dollhouses
using the cheap cedar used for fences with such a board costing around
$1 in the US. I've not found a suitable inexpensive workaround for the
red spanish curved tiles - yet.

Grandpa - newbie to dollhouses

Old July 8th 04, 11:33 PM
Herb

Grandpa wrote:

havana bill & holly wrote:

"JohnA" wrote in message

[...]

Red spanish tiles:
a) Half-round dowels (not very realistic)
b) Ready-made plastic sheets at about US$8 for about 12"x18" (in 1-inch
scale). Very available in California because they're used for elementary
schools' "build a mission" part of the required curriculum.
c) A rubber mold and make your own. Initial expense for the mold (I
forget where we bought ours about 10 yrs ago), but plaster and coloring
are very inexpensive. Very fragile, very realistic.
d) There are other things, like split paper tubes for pencil leads (hard
to find today), painted with today's easy-to-find textured paints.

- Herb

Old July 9th 04, 02:23 AM
havana bill & holly

"Grandpa wrote in message
I've not found a suitable inexpensive workaround for the
red spanish curved tiles - yet.

Grandpa - newbie to dollhouses

Currogated cardboard?

Old July 9th 04, 06:10 AM
Herb

havana bill & holly wrote:

"Grandpa wrote in message
I've not found a suitable inexpensive workaround for the

red spanish curved tiles - yet.

Grandpa - newbie to dollhouses

Corrugated cardboard?

Makes a great TIN roof when spray-painted with a silvery metallic paint!

- Herb