OK - I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not OT - stupid Baby LockQuest Minus

Old November 21st 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

Default OK - I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not OT - stupid Baby LockQuest Minus

The dilemna I face is this - the new machine is so much better in many
ways - when I free motion quilt a small quilt, like a wall hanging -
it works like a dream. When I piece with feed dogs up, it works great
- the old quest didn't - so that's a big improvement. BUT - when I
put a bed sized quilt in it, broken threads and skipped stitches - and
I know it's not my technique because I got out my faithful little
mechanical Bernina and finished the quilt my Quest couldn't do. Maybe
my Bernina is just compatible with me and the Quest isn't. I know
there are people using the Quest who love it.

anyone want to buy a brand new Quest Plus at 30% off retail?

Musicmaker
Old November 21st 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

You're not giving up are you Musicmaker? I know it's very inconvenient for
you, but could you bring the quilt you are not able to quilt on the Quest to
your dealer & demonstrate for them how you are doing it? And maybe they
could show you how they would do it & see if you both fail? If you can free
motion a small quilt, IMNSHO, you should be able to quilt a bed sized quilt
on it. Maybe there is something quirky about the BL that nobody has thought
to tell you? I feel for you; I know this has been extremely frustrating!

Pauline
Northern California

Old November 22nd 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Here's what BabyLock brags about the Quest Plus:

Discover all of the quilting features you've been searching for with
the Quest Plus. As a part of the Quilter's Dream Series, this advanced
quilting machine offers 363 built-in stitches and the patented Precision
Dual-Feed QuiltingT (PDQ), a built-in, dual-feed system. Plus, with 15
accessory feet, you can accomplish any project.

Selling your BabyLock lemon for 30% off is just not going to do. We want
your money back. Period.

It's so good that you were able to complete your quilt on your trusty old
Bernina. That says a lot. First it should bolster your confidence that You
are not the problem. This is probably not a good time or place to mention
that nothing sews like a Bernina - but I Am a Berniniac. Polly

Old November 22nd 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Are you setting the stitch length to the longest. I know that it was
necessary to do that on the computerized machines because of how they
feed the thread.

Just a thought.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old November 22nd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I don't understand this statement. I have 3 computerized machines,
including the Quest, and when I free motion, all I do is drop the feed dogs,
put on the free motion foot and get to work I've never fooled with the
stitch length on any of them, because the length is controlled by the
quilter!
Polly, I know you love your Berninas, but for me, I'll never allow one of
those things through my door. I've tried several and hated them all. It's
a very good thing we don't all like the same thing.
Gen

Old November 22nd 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Oh sure, I know that. Berninas are a little persnickity but somehow we go
together like turkey and dressing. Speaking of - I asked DH if he'd like
coconut pie or pecan pie for our feast. Poor man. That was about 3 hours
ago and still no answer. If I cook both, he'll have to make a decision
every meal. My little mama (who took pie baking to a new level) simply gave
him a little slice of all of them. She realized he couldn't make hasty
decisions. Polly

"Gen" wroteI don't understand this statement. I have 3 computerized

Old November 22nd 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I wouldn't compare any of my other machines to my old Bernina 930.
IMO no machine will ever beat it. I just can't take the small harp
area on it for MQ'ing though. I have done a couple of very large
quilts on it in the past but it is too much of a struggle. There
is certainly right fit with sewing machines. Sure is rotten when
we get one we don't like. I had a car a few years ago that was
really nice. I hated that thing for no particle reason other than
it just never seemed quite right for me. I drove it 8 years but
I griped most of those. It just happens somethimes.

My aunt always wanted a taste of every dessert on the table at
holidays. We call that 'Auntie Vera' style dessert and remember her
fondly. I think pecan is about the only pie I don't care for and coconut
cream is my favorite. I know what my choice would be there easily.
Enjoy Mr. Esther.
Taria

Old November 22nd 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Polly Esther wrote:
Oh sure, I know that. Berninas are a little persnickity but somehow we go
together like turkey and dressing. Speaking of - I asked DH if he'd like
coconut pie or pecan pie for our feast. Poor man. That was about 3 hours
ago and still no answer. If I cook both, he'll have to make a decision
every meal. My little mama (who took pie baking to a new level) simply gave
him a little slice of all of them. She realized he couldn't make hasty
decisions. Polly

Make a load of 'petty 4's'* size ones of both flavours. Fun, and he can
have whatever whnever, AND they look good.

* liked this brat way out of forgetting how to spell it so much I have
adopted it.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 22nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

On Nov 21, 3:51*pm, "Pauline" wrote:
You're not giving up are you Musicmaker? *I know it's very inconvenient for
you, but could you bring the quilt you are not able to quilt on the Quest to
your dealer & demonstrate for them how you are doing it? *And maybe they
could show you how they would do it & see if you both fail? *If you can free
motion a small quilt, IMNSHO, you should be able to quilt a bed sized quilt
on it. *Maybe there is something quirky about the BL that nobody has thought
to tell you? *I feel for you; I know this has been extremely frustrating!

Pauline
Northern California

Pauline, I finished the quilt on my Bernina mechanical. No one at the
dealer has free motion experience. Since I've already proven that I
CAN free motion, and I've talked specifically on the phone with the BL
educatores, and have quilted side by side at the dealer once - it's
just more than I can do at this point. Kind of the way, after
fighting a battle for months on end, you kind of decide it's not worth
it any more. I'm still writing to the Pres, and if he won't refund my
money or make this right, I'll auction it off on ebay and maybe it'll
find a compatible owner.

Old November 22nd 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

On Nov 21, 6:21*pm, WitchyStitcher wrote:
Are you setting the stitch length to the longest. I know that it was
necessary to do that on the computerized machines because of how they
feed the thread.

Linda - yes - that's something the BL educator told me so I do it all
the time, even on my Bernina, now.

Musicmaker