pattern storage

Old January 10th 05, 05:56 PM
DKiely33

Default pattern storage

What is the best way to store patterns that have already been used, cut and
will be used again?

I'm going to be setting up a little sewing area and would like to know how to
set it up correctly from the start.

Would an art store be useful for storage options?

Thanks,
Dee
Old January 10th 05, 06:29 PM
Pat

I have some pattern boxes, supplemented by largish shoe boxes. I just put
all the pieces back in the pattern envelope and organize by
type-------dresses, skirts, tops, children......
etc.-----try the kitchen or plastics department at Walmart........much
cheaper overall than any art store.......and ask for free Tennis shoe
boxes!!......cover with attractive paper or cloth!!

Old January 10th 05, 07:22 PM
Barbara Raper

After cutting and using a pattern it is so hard to get them back into the
paper envelope! So I use 1 gal zip bags and place the front of the pattern
so I can see it. I organize patterns by type--- pants, tops, jackets.
Guess I'm lucky that I have a cutting table with drawers in one side to hold
patterns.
Barbara in FL & SC

Old January 10th 05, 08:15 PM
Elizabeth Young

Barbara Raper wrote:
After cutting and using a pattern it is so hard to get them back into the
paper envelope! So I use 1 gal zip bags and place the front of the pattern
so I can see it. I organize patterns by type--- pants, tops, jackets.
Guess I'm lucky that I have a cutting table with drawers in one side to hold
patterns.
Barbara in FL & SC

I do what Barbara does, but my patterns are organized by size.
Categories should probably be
No way in H***
Gosh, did this ever really fit me?
If I am willing to do a little altering
Looks like a tent, must fit

liz young

Old January 10th 05, 08:24 PM
Karen Maslowski

This needed a spew warning, Lis!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 10th 05, 08:54 PM
AmazeR

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:15:43 +0000, Elizabeth Young wrote:

I do what Barbara does, but my patterns are organized by size.
Categories should probably be
No way in H***
Gosh, did this ever really fit me?
If I am willing to do a little altering
Looks like a tent, must fit

liz young

LOL..

Thanks for the laugh!

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php

Old January 10th 05, 09:11 PM
Dixie Sugar

I find that if I iron my pattern pieces I can get them back in the package
easier. I store them in pattern boxes and just boxes. I can't find the
pasteboard pattern boxes anymore so have to make do.

Brenda

Old January 10th 05, 10:17 PM
Kate Dicey

DKiely33 wrote:

What is the best way to store patterns that have already been used, cut and
will be used again?

I'm going to be setting up a little sewing area and would like to know how to
set it up correctly from the start.

Would an art store be useful for storage options?

Thanks,
Dee

We all have different ways that work for us...

I iron all the bits, pack them back in the envelope, bag it in a ziplock
baggie and crate them according to type. Mine are thus protected from
possible damp while in storage in the loft. I have so far collected
about 12 crates of patterns, mind.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Ward

"DKiely33" wrote in message

What is the best way to store patterns that have already been used, cut
and
will be used again?

I'm going to be setting up a little sewing area and would like to know how
set it up correctly from the start.

Would an art store be useful for storage options?

Thanks,
Dee

Hi Dee,

I get a little crazy with my patterns. After I cut apart the tissue I fold
each piece into a little package with the pattern number showing. I pile
them from #1 up, unfold the instruction sheet, place the folded pattern
tissues inside, and they all fit nicely back into the envelope. I store
them in pattern number order by pattern company. As if that's not crazy
enough, before putting the pattern away, I scan the front and back of the
envelope. That gets printed out, put inside a plastic sheet protector and
then inside a 3-ring binder. I have the photo copies separated by pattern
company too. I know, it's twisted, but I do love sitting with a hot cup of
coffee, flipping through my "pattern" book. When I decide to sew something
I take the scanned image of the envelope with me to the fabric store.

The patterns are stores in those blue cardboard boxes you can get in the
Notions department. I write the pattern company name on the outside of the
box. Once I have selected the pattern I want from my 3-ring binder, I just
pull down the correct box, flip through to the pattern number, and pull it
out ... just like the fabric stores.

Happy sewing.

Liz

Old January 10th 05, 10:31 PM
BEI Design

"Ward" wrote in message
groups.com...

I get a little crazy with my patterns. snip

That has to be the *year's* biggest understatement! ;-)

(I have to admit a secret admiration, though.)

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply