FO and question on Shetland shawl construction

Old October 4th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Teacher Gal

Default FO and question on Shetland shawl construction

In case anyone would like to see, the finished (and slightly modified)
Peacock Feathers Shawl from A Gathering of Lace is posted in my
Knitting projects folder at webshots (
http://www.webshots.com/user/tasialue ). There's only one pic, but I
may take a few more clear shots later.

I'm still chipping away at the Shetland shawl. I hope to have the
center finished in the next week or so, then it's on to the borders.
I'm going to try a technique that will sort of "meld" the traditional
and modern methods of construction: I plan to pick up stitches around
three sides of the center and knit the border all at once, going back
and forth across the circular needle, rather than in-the-round.
Hopefully, this will leave me only one long edge to graft together.
Why this weird way? A) I hate grafting, and B) I don't want to have
to do weird "p2 tog tbl" type stitches all across the even rows.

Anyone see how my method might run into problems? Care to comment?
It's my first Shetland shawl, and I'm excited at how it's turning out,
but I'll be devastated if I run into any huge, insurmountable problems
and end up with something less than beautiful. Hints regarding
mitering the border corners would be appreciated, too.

Anastasia

--who's still trying to do an unBELIEVABLE amount of grad school work
while knitting. If she could perfect reading textbooks while knitting
lace at the same time, she'd be blissful. Alas, the eyes tend to
cross when it is attempted.

Old October 4th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
ups.com...
In case anyone would like to see, the finished (and slightly modified)
Peacock Feathers Shawl from A Gathering of Lace is posted in my
Knitting projects folder at webshots (
http://www.webshots.com/user/tasialue ). There's only one pic, but I
may take a few more clear shots later.

Quite lovely
DA

Old October 7th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
ups.com...
In case anyone would like to see, the finished (and slightly modified)
Peacock Feathers Shawl from A Gathering of Lace is posted in my
Knitting projects folder at webshots (
http://www.webshots.com/user/tasialue ). There's only one pic, but I
may take a few more clear shots later.

Anastasia, your shawl is beautiful. I'm knitting the Peacock Feathers right
now, but in the original shape from the pattern. There is no way on this
earth I could modify it the way you did. ;) I ripped out my first try at
this shawl, and am now doing it from blue/green/mauve cotton.

What yarn did you use, and how long did it take you to knit it?

Shelagh

Old October 8th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Teacher Gal" skrev i melding
ups.com...
In case anyone would like to see, the finished (and slightly modified)
Peacock Feathers Shawl from A Gathering of Lace is posted in my
Knitting projects folder at webshots (
http://www.webshots.com/user/tasialue ). There's only one pic, but I
may take a few more clear shots later.

I cannot answer your question, just say that your shawl is so beautiful!
You impress me! Your FIRST!!
I don't doubt that you will train the ability to knit lace
while doing studies ;-))
Just LET your eyes cross, and you will come out with a new shawl and an
exam as well! LOL!
AUD ;-)

Old October 9th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Teacher Gal

Shelagh said:

Anastasia, your shawl is beautiful. I'm knitting the Peacock Feathers right
now, but in the original shape from the pattern. There is no way on this
earth I could modify it the way you did. ;) I ripped out my first try at
this shawl, and am now doing it from blue/green/mauve cotton.

What yarn did you use, and how long did it take you to knit it?

Thanks for the praise. I didn't modify it that much...just changed the
edging. The pattern itself was in the appendix of the book.

I believe I used Henry's Attic alpaca yarn....a sportweight, if I
remember correctly. All told, the sucker took about a year. I put it
away when the heat of the summer hit around April.....Alpaca is a bear
to knit when it's hot and sticky out!

Anastasia

Old October 9th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Teacher Gal

Aud wrote:

I cannot answer your question, just say that your shawl is so beautiful!
You impress me! Your FIRST!!
I don't doubt that you will train the ability to knit lace
while doing studies ;-))
Just LET your eyes cross, and you will come out with a new shawl and an
exam as well! LOL!

Aud, it wasn't my first shawl ever.....I've completed (let's see
now.......) four previous shawls. The Shetland that I'm working on,
however, is my first.

Thanks for the compliment!

I've been rewarding myself for studying with two or three hours of
knitting. Only problem is, I'm so desperate to knit that I'm rushing
the studies! I'm looking forward to November, when the workload at
school will slow down a bit. I'm already getting tired of writing
papers!

Anastasia

--who should finish the center of the Shetland early this week! Then
it's on to the borders!

Old October 9th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for the praise. I didn't modify it that much...just changed the
edging. The pattern itself was in the appendix of the book.

Okay, then maybe there are 2 different patterns. Mine is a triangular
shape. Go here to have a look at the one I bought:
http://www.fiddlesticksknitting.com/PeacockLarge.html

I've been working on it for months, but keep getting interrupted for other
smaller projects. I'm doing some Christmas knitting right now.

Shelagh

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
Fairy Wings Question - construction - "wings01.jpg" (0/1) 29.8 kBytes yEnc Airdiana Polymer Clay 0 January 3rd 06 10:55 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 22nd 05 07:24 PM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM