Need help from the experts on Laceweight yarn

Old October 9th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Need help from the experts on Laceweight yarn

I've just bought my first skein (100g/1540 yds) of Skaska Design
silk/angora Laceweight yarn. I plan to try a shawl, but I have no idea
what to do with this skein. I'm afraid its going to end up in a big
fat knotty mess if I'm not careful. the skein seems to be divided into
3 sections, but they seem to be not separable. Do I clip the 3
dividing sections and carefully roll this into a ball?

Help!!

Elaine, Gig Harbor WA

Old October 9th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

I can't answer your question but the Contact link on www.skaska.com gives an
email address and a phone number.

--
Jan in MN

ups.com...

Old October 9th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jake Wildstrom

The Prophet , known to the wise as , opened the Book of Words, and read unto the people:
I've just bought my first skein (100g/1540 yds) of Skaska Design
silk/angora Laceweight yarn. I plan to try a shawl, but I have no idea
what to do with this skein. I'm afraid its going to end up in a big
fat knotty mess if I'm not careful. the skein seems to be divided into
3 sections, but they seem to be not separable. Do I clip the 3
dividing sections and carefully roll this into a ball?

I usually wind laceweight around cardboard cores like the ones that
crochet cotton is shipped on (a good source of cardboard cores is the
central tube of industrial-size toilet-paper rolls). Just winding them
into balls without some sort of core seems prone to highly unforgiving
tangling.

And, yes, to undo the skein, you'll need to keep it under tension as
you unwind it. An umbrella swift is best, but if you don't have one,
you can improvise by keeping the skein taught between two chairbacks.

--
D. Jacob (Jake) Wildstrom, Math monkey and freelance thinker

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
-Alfred Renyi

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily endorsed by the
University of California or math department thereof.
Old October 9th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Only if you want to have KNOTS!!

Work off the outside of the ball once you have it wound.

thanks so much for the advice - I'll be winding this today!!
Elaine

Old October 9th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Wooly" wrote
If you don't have a swift dragoon a housemate into holding the hank
for you. The other party can help control tangles &c as you wind off.
Others have suggested chair backs as alternatives. One person
recommended winding the yarn around a cardboard core - an excellent
idea.

I have neither a swift nor a housemate but I have a lampshade which is a
very functional alternative.

--
Jan in MN

Old October 9th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I Put a stool upside down on another chair and my hank over the [at
least 3 feet of the stool ,,, and than i can wind my threads at ease ,

mirjam

That's a great suggestion Mirjam. I don't have a stool, but can try a chair
upside down, leaning on a second chair. That might work. ;)

Shelagh

Old October 10th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I Put a stool upside down on another chair and my hank over the [at
least 3 feet of the stool ,,, and than i can wind my threads at ease ,

mirjam

Elaine, Gig Harbor WA

Your hank needs to be wound, Elaine, either with a swift and winder,
or the good ole fashioned way of holding the hank or putting the hank
on a chair-back, and winding it into a ball.
HTH,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0640-6, 10/08/2006
Tested: 10/8/2006 9:57:17 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Dealing with left over yarn Yarn 31 January 19th 05 07:15 PM
Cher? The laceweight yarn... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 14 February 8th 04 09:37 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 03:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM