RCTN - Newsgroup FAQ

Old September 7th 05, 03:01 AM
KCat

"Barbara Hass" wrote in message

I lately have little patience for this crap after just burying a friend
at 30 from a heart attack, still consoling his inconsolable 31-year-old
widow, and sick of people who don't appreciate how good they really have
things. If y'all want to waste your time and energy bashing people on
the internet, it's your life to waste. I'm off to spend time with my
precious family and do some stitching. If this is the response a mere
faq posting gets, don't worry, it won't happen again, guess I'll
unsubscribe as so many others have. I have more important things to do
than read posts such as your response.

Barbara

Hello Barbara, I don't know you but I like you already. Take care of
yourself too during the tough time with your friend. I was going to thank
you for posting the FAQ - I'm new to the group and haven't exactly
ingratiated myself. But I have gotten a good deal of help on my few
questions and hope that the current spate of bickering is in part due to the
high emotions many are experiencing in the US especially.

Again, thanks for the info.

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old September 7th 05, 04:31 AM
KCat

"jLb" he.night wrote in
message ...
for searching it out.
Thank you.

waaaaah... I did. sniffle :-)

A gentle reminder is fine. Yours was that, no more.

yup..

The FAQ is fine, and yes, I have written a few in my time.

ugh... don't get me started. it's a ****load of work. (yeah, I'm not
particularly delicate)

Needs some updating but basically it is "good to go".

are you volunteering? You do have a way with words.

Set "Mark read" for their handiwork and choose your moment to 'speak'.

I spent the day watching hour after hour of Katrina stories. Had to stay in
bed to recover from overdoing things this weekend. Really puts this petty
carp (sic) in perspective. It is just that, petty. I hope that those folks
who took umbrage at Barbara's post take a moment to be thankful that they
have a roof over their heads and a computer to use and presumably all the
other necessities of life and then some. They might find it much more
invigorating than sniping at others.

And on that note - best of luck to you all and may you recognize your
blessings in life this day and every day. I am gonna go hug the hubby and
pat the dog on the noggin'.

Old September 7th 05, 11:25 AM
Pat P

Hello Barbara, I don't know you but I like you already. Take care of
yourself too during the tough time with your friend. I was going to thank
you for posting the FAQ - I'm new to the group and haven't exactly
ingratiated myself. But I have gotten a good deal of help on my few
questions and hope that the current spate of bickering is in part due to
the
high emotions many are experiencing in the US especially.

Again, thanks for the info.

KCat

If you think that the current "spate" is anything to write home about, just
hang in there - but remember, however wild it gets, MOST have a sense of
humour (and a killfile!)

Pat P

Old September 7th 05, 11:34 AM

Barbara Hass wrote:
Pat P wrote:
"Barbara Hass" wrote in message

I checked in today, and see that things are once again deteriorating on
rctn in many threads. Maybe it's time we posted the FAQ and reminded
everyone what this ng is all about! (And that does *not* include trashing
other people, even if you disagree with them - if you must do that, take it
to private email).

I see - self appointed Inspector Hass, is it? Get real!

Pat P

Been a bad day, Pat? No, I'm not a self-appointed inspector, just
someone who's tired of seeing all of the petty bickering here. Even
threads I was reading for info (thus not ignoring/deleting) have
dissintegrated. Life is bad enough with the hurricane and the gulf war,
now I can't even read what *used* to be my favorite ng. I realize we're
like a community, but at the same time when it gets to name-calling and
back-and-forth bickering between 2-3 people, maybe it's time *someone*
give a wake-up call that this is a group for people who have a love of
needlework in common, not a newsgroup for trashing people because their
views differ.

And since when is posting a netiquette FAQ, which, BTW, used to be
posted monthly here, being a self-appointed anything?

I lately have little patience for this crap after just burying a friend
at 30 from a heart attack, still consoling his inconsolable 31-year-old
widow, and sick of people who don't appreciate how good they really have
things. If y'all want to waste your time and energy bashing people on
the internet, it's your life to waste. I'm off to spend time with my
precious family and do some stitching. If this is the response a mere
faq posting gets, don't worry, it won't happen again, guess I'll
unsubscribe as so many others have. I have more important things to do
than read posts such as your response.

Barbara

(and it's not Inspector Hass, it's Dr. Hass Jacobus - if you're gonna be
nasty about it, at least get the name right!)

Look....

There has always been petty bickering here, there always will be.

You either learn to ignore it, and a good way is to NOT read the OT
threads, because those turn into it within about 48 hrs a lot of the
time.

Reposting the FAQs wasn't a bad thing, we have had a bunch of newbies
without a clue getting yelled at.

However, I (like Pat) read your introduction to the FAQs as being a bit
"holier-then-thou" in tone.

I get accused of being snarky when I don't intend to be, so I'm hoping
that you didn't intend to come across the way I inferred.

That said, your response to Pat was exactly the sort of petty bickering
you were objecting to, ironic isn't it?

Caryn

Old September 7th 05, 11:41 AM

jLb wrote:
Barbara Hass , blest us all with:

Pat P wrote:
"Barbara Hass" wrote in message

I checked in today, and see that things are once again deteriorating on
rctn in many threads. Maybe it's time we posted the FAQ and reminded
everyone what this ng is all about! (And that does *not* include tras=

hing
other people, even if you disagree with them - if you must do that, ta=

ke it
to private email).

I see - self appointed Inspector Hass, is it? Get real!

I will bite Pat :-^
Your reaction is typical of those who do not understand , do not wish to
understand and therefore will never understand , achieving the goal they =

sort
out - as their focused understanding.
Trouble is, when there is no more 'playground' your stereotype says two t=

hings.
"WTF happened"
Followed closely by.
"It was not I"

Pat....don't you love it? Someone with, what?, a couple months here
lecturing you a vetern of about a decade in this group?

This group is for EVERYONE, newbies and veterns. We are who we are, we
will not change to suit somebody else just because they think they KNOW
a better way to do things.

That was sort of the point of the FAQs wasn't it, telling newbies (and
jLb you are still a relative newbie) how things work here. I think I
even saw something in the FAQs about everybody being individuals, and
about learning how things work before leaping in.

Caryn

Pat P

Been a bad day, Pat? No, I'm not a self-appointed inspector, just
someone who's tired of seeing all of the petty bickering here. Even
threads I was reading for info (thus not ignoring/deleting) have
dissintegrated. Life is bad enough with the hurricane and the gulf war,

The same mentality which drives the deterioration in those examples is
shared by those you find 'unpleasant reading' here, Barbara.

now I can't even read what *used* to be my favorite ng. I realize we're
like a community, but at the same time when it gets to name-calling and
back-and-forth bickering between 2-3 people, maybe it's time *someone*
give a wake-up call that this is a group for people who have a love of
needlework in common, not a newsgroup for trashing people because their
views differ.

for searching it out.
Thank you.

There is a danger of turning to "FAQ Thumping" as a reaction to the taunt=

s some
post here. Believe me you do not want to go there :-)
A gentle reminder is fine. Yours was that, no more.

The FAQ is fine, and yes, I have written a few in my time.
Needs some updating but basically it is "good to go".
I can tell you now (to save you some extra angst) that the two harpys who
responded first (?) will never read this FAQ or any other FAQ.
In RL these are the types who you find generate a need for company to sud=

denly
attend the bathroom when they drop their acid into a Cocktail Party discu=

ssion.
Drier than any Madagascan stone fruit and all piled in hell with a need t=

o test
peoples patience.
The only way to 'educate' them is with a large hefty swing with a big hun=

k of
4X2. They seem to understand that g

This line in the FAQ is one that needs to be edited as it gives free lice=

nce to
these 'types'..well IMO:-)
# This group will be for discussions about needlework, as defined by =

'any
# form of decorative stitching done by hand'. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In some threads their 'work' is most "decorative" :-=BF

Set "Mark read" for their handiwork and choose your moment to 'speak'.

Hope it helps :-)

=20
=20
--=20
in response

Old September 7th 05, 12:20 PM
Karen C - California

Pat P wrote:
If you think that the current "spate" is anything to write home about, just
hang in there - but remember, however wild it gets, MOST have a sense of
humour (and a killfile!)

Pat P

Let me rephrase that slightly: most have a sense of humor, and you have
a killfile (or Delete button) for those who don't.

For the first five or so years, I read everyone's postings. Then
discovered that my online experience was greatly enhanced by killfiling
a very few people whose sole purpose in life was to pick fights with
all and sundry. I wish I'd done it sooner. On the rare occasions that
those people say something worth reading, it'll be quoted.

--
Karen C - California
Finished 8/16/05 - Be Sure to Pay the Pipers

WIP: 50th Anniversary sampler for aunt/uncle, July birthstone,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
blogging at http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old September 7th 05, 01:01 PM

BTW, I can spell VETERAN......after some coffee that is! lol

Not sure why I left out the A the first time, but did it twice! Ah
well......

Caryn

Old September 7th 05, 02:47 PM
NL

f'up removed.

jLb wrote:
" , blest us all with:

Pat....don't you love it? Someone with, what?, a couple months here
lecturing you a vetern of about a decade in this group?

Y ya jes gotta love it..!
An AOL-ER posting out of Google using a Browser decrees who is
new and who is a vetern[sic].
Somehow I do not feel the need to plaster my creds all over the
page, in any way :-Þ

Yours holler down the corridor, thats enough for me :-/

jLb

/lurk

FWIW please remember to next time put a note in your post if you're
doing a f'up to alt.idiot.hens

cu
nicole
Old September 7th 05, 04:44 PM
Pat P

"NL" wrote in message
f'up removed.

jLb wrote:
" , blest us all with:

Pat....don't you love it? Someone with, what?, a couple months here
lecturing you a vetern of about a decade in this group?

Y ya jes gotta love it..!
An AOL-ER posting out of Google using a Browser decrees who is new and
who is a vetern[sic].
Somehow I do not feel the need to plaster my creds all over the page, in
any way :-Þ

Yours holler down the corridor, thats enough for me :-/

jLb

/lurk

FWIW please remember to next time put a note in your post if you're doing
a f'up to alt.idiot.hens

cu
nicole

Oh darn - I forgot to kill the Kraut. Soon remedied.

PP