The "Single Life" & Quilting- long

Old August 20th 03, 06:02 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Default The "Single Life" & Quilting- long

I saw this ad in the newspaper for the Four Seasons Singles Group. I've
been thinking I need to get out more and I've been reading this ad for
several months, so......

I got all my courage together last night and put on a nice skirt and
blouse and hose (!!!!!), fixed my hair, spritzed on a little Chanel No.
5 and went. Oh my God, you should have been there!!!!!

I walk in the door and about 15 pairs of hostile eyes turn on me--- and
one pair of lovestruck eyes latched on me! This old gal of about 80 (I'm
52) saunters over and says "you're new, aren't ya?" Then she proceeds to
tell me about her boyfriend she's been seeing for two years, but he's
not here tonight. The lovestruck guy, about 45, is whispering (loudly!)
to everybody at his table "look at the pretty lady!!!" (Yeah, he's
learning disabled or mildly retarded or something!)

The leader of the group comes over and grabs on to me and starts telling
me about how they usually have a much larger group and the age range is
from 45 to 85 (from what *I* see they are all 75 to 90!!!) She ASKS me
if I'm looking for a husband!!! And tells me they had had 5 or 6
marriages and that's why they are so low on members- totally
frightening!

When she finds out that I don't shoot pool or play cards she has me
volunteered to teach quilting at the "game night" which is the fourth
Tuesday of every month before I even know I volunteered! She starts
telling me about the float trips they take on the river and they go to
garage sales (she noticed I drive a pick-up truck and said that would be
handy for garage-saling!) and they have potluck dinners (they had one
that night: white bread, deli roastbeef slices, American cheese slices,
homemade pickle slices, potato chips and store bought cream pie- ugh!!!
They ate the sandwiches DRY- no dressings of any kind!) and there was
the most awful hillbilly band playing and she bragged that they play for
free- well, for the price of their meal. They were worth the price of
*that* meal, believe me. bg
Some little fella of a mere 87 came over and sat by me and told me about
outliving his two wives- the second one was a cute little Indian woman
and she only lasted 7 years- the first one lasted 47- 1/2 years.
(Lasted???) Clifford kept telling everyone about the "pretty lady" as he
stared holes in me- I wanted to crawl under the table. Then a skinny guy
named Don came in and sat down near Karen (the leader) and me. He was
fairly nice and we three talked.

The old folks danced- hilarious (cute) to watch. The old ladies kept a
sharp eye on me and the(their) "men". I pleaded my hip replacement and
refused to dance- thank goodness for that "lame" excuse!!! LOL I jumped
up to help Karen clean up after the "meal" so I could escape Clifford's
staring- she said I didn't have to help, but I said "oh yes, I sure
did!" and explained. She said he's trying to get the courage up to ask
you to dance. I damn near died of fright right then and there!!! I
couldn't see myself stumbling around the dance floor with a smitten
retarded man (with a large gut and very oily hair) to a hillbilly
rendition of The Old Rugged Cross (or their versions of other hymns)
while mean little old ladies threw hateful looks at me!!! You would have
died at what they did to "Achy-Breaky Heart"- I used to like that song!
I could have tipped back my head and howled!!!!!

But, the really funny thing is, I had a good time in the end and I think
I'm going to go back next Tuesday and teach quilting for game night!

What a life!!!

Leslie, The Official Volunteer Quilting Instructor for The Four Seasons
Singles Group :-)

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old August 20th 03, 07:34 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Oh, you are too funny!

I can take you out to find a husband when you come here. I'll put it on our
list of things to do. ;^D

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old August 20th 03, 08:32 PM
Joy Quilts

What a riot! Keep us posted on next Tues night!

--
A Joy in Hawaii
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts

Old August 21st 03, 12:23 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Glad to hear you had such a good time on your outing. Keep us
abreast of developments, y'hear?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old August 21st 03, 12:51 AM
Susanne

That was too funny!!! I too think Clifford will want to take up quilting!
BEG
Do keep us abreast of what happens next. I can hardly wait!

Susanne

Old August 21st 03, 03:58 AM
Shelly

Where the heck was the SPEW warning on this post? lmao I am about to fall
out of the bed laughing at your post.
Shelly
PS. DO keep us informed of next weeks meet up! I can't wait.

---

Old August 21st 03, 04:30 AM
julia sidebottom

go for it girl!!
juliasb

[...]

Remove (nospam) from address.

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com